CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Trying to remove the parking brake cover (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3215090-trying-to-remove-the-parking-brake-cover.html)

goldengoat2 02-08-2013 06:59 PM

Trying to remove the parking brake cover

I'm trying to remove the console parking brake cover on my 72, but the back area doesn't want to let go, i'm worried about braking it, does the rear support have a snap or a hidden screw, also does the brake handle need to come off to get the cover off, I can't figure out how to get the handle off either. Thanks

birdsmith 02-08-2013 07:02 PM

If you open the storage compartment you will feel a 7/16" bolt head behind the cover on the other side of the bulkhead. Remove that and it'll come off. Just tip the back of it up and slide the front back and away from the park brake handle.

goldengoat2 02-08-2013 07:09 PM

thank you, It would have taken a long time for me to figure that out.

Easy Mike 02-09-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by goldengoat2 (Post 1583071770)
It would have taken a long time for me to figure that out.

Not if you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM shows the hidden bolt and thousands of other things.

Order the AIM. You're going to want it for more than just the ebrake console.
:thumbs:

Willcox Corvette 02-09-2013 11:16 AM

http://willcoxcorvette.com/images/Pa...den%20bolt.jpg

Manuel Azevedo 02-09-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1583075659)
Not if you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM shows the hidden bolt and thousands of other things.

Order the AIM. You're going to want it for more than just the ebrake console.
:thumbs:

I wonder how many times you have said get the AIM?:rofl: I don't get it sometimes how many say they have the AIM but never look at it or they don't have time to look at it so just answer me here right now!!

Peterbuilt 02-10-2013 11:00 AM

If the AIM had an index it would be a lot easier to use.
http://www.birkes.com/corvette/sprea...Alpha_Sort.htm

Willcox Corvette 02-10-2013 05:12 PM

Pete, That is exactly why I ran then through OCR and added text to them on the pdf version. I know some don't like this version but for me I blaze though them when trying to find something. That is a very nice Index you've made too! :thumbs:

Peterbuilt 02-10-2013 07:14 PM

I bought the paper aim around 2001, if I needed one today I would get your CD version.

The index was published by Steve Birkes 12-21-05 says so at the very bottom.

PeteZO6 02-10-2013 09:47 PM

I bought my first AIM in the 70's from T. Michales (sp). I was pretty disappointed in the quality; in the early 2000's I bought another paper copy from CC. Much better in some areas, and not as good in others. Then when Mr. Wilcox came out with the CD version, I bought it. Certainly the pdf is easier to use as the search function works very well. With 3 copies I can usually find what I need. It's easy to copy a page from a printed copy if I need it handy while working on the car.
:cheers:
Pete

7dSHARK 02-11-2013 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Manuel Azevedo (Post 1583077946)
I wonder how many times you have said get the AIM?:rofl: I don't get it sometimes how many say they have the AIM but never look at it or they don't have time to look at it so just answer me here right now!!

I have an A.I.M. and found it hard to follow with the poor quality and that's if you can find what your looking for. The A.I.M. has never told me "whatever you do, don't do what I did!" like the people on this forum have. I didn't know I was such a bother to everyone. I guess there are tech people and then there are people people. I personally enjoy helping someone, sharing my skill set, who is doing a project that I have done.

Alan 71 02-11-2013 03:27 PM

Hi,
I agree that the AIM has it's problems because of the way it's laid out, the quality of some of the drawings, and the clarity of the copies now available.
I do feel though that it's really the best, (and really, only!), source of information on how these cars were assembled in St. Louis, and what parts and fasteners were used.
The "Catch 22" is that the better you know your car the more sense the AIM makes. That, sadly, is backward from what it should be. I STILL depend heavily on the AIM and the CSM as I continue to refine my car.
Regards,
Alan

Manuel Azevedo 02-11-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 7dSHARK (Post 1583095311)
I have an A.I.M. and found it hard to follow with the poor quality and that's if you can find what your looking for. The A.I.M. has never told me "whatever you do, don't do what I did!" like the people on this forum have. I didn't know I was such a bother to everyone. I guess there are tech people and then there are people people. I personally enjoy helping someone, sharing my skill set, who is doing a project that I have done.

No problem seeking help here at all, but still think about it, people love to help people who help them selves as much as possible not the ones who won't try to help them selves! and that may not be you at all but my statement stands for a lot of people. So take it how you want!!

goldengoat2 02-12-2013 10:05 AM

Yes, i do have the a.i.m manual, but when i asked my question I had left my manual at work, I asked a simple question I got a very fast simple answer (thank you).
now i'm working on my heater control assembly and i think there should be 2 heat control cables going to either side of the heat control dials, I only have 1 cable and the a.i.m. only shows 1 cable. ( the 2 levers with the black balls attached), any ideas? thanks

commander_47 02-12-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by petes74ttop (Post 1583083954)
If the AIM had an index it would be a lot easier to use.
http://www.birkes.com/corvette/sprea...Alpha_Sort.htm

There is a God.

I printed this off and added it to my AIM binder.

Thank you all for this:woohoo:

Alan 71 02-12-2013 03:36 PM

Hi gg,
The 71 AIM, (and I believe the 72 is the same), shows both VENT control cables on UPC 1, Sheet E10.
The HEATER control only uses one cable, (it opens/closes the heat door), it's shown in UPC 1 Sheet M3.
Regards,
Alan

goldengoat2 02-12-2013 04:21 PM

Thanks Alen, I figured it out, black balls are for kick panel vents and one of my cables is cut off, single heater control cable in tacked and in good shape. If there is a page in the aim for the console vent cable diagram I haven't found it yet.

Alan 71 02-12-2013 05:30 PM

Hi gg,
The pair of vent cables are shown in the 71 AIM in the UPC I listed.
I'd think the 72 AIM would have the same page because I don't think anything changed.
Regards,
Alan

goldengoat2 02-12-2013 06:17 PM

You would think that page would show the vent levers and cables (upc 1asm, sheet M3) but not on mine. Thanks
Update, found it, upc 1asm sheet E10

flyeri 02-12-2013 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by birdsmith (Post 1583071679)
If you open the storage compartment you will feel a 7/16" bolt head behind the cover on the other side of the bulkhead. Remove that and it'll come off. Just tip the back of it up and slide the front back and away from the park brake handle.

Before you put it back, put that bolt through the bracket under the armrest so that the threaded end goes toward the rear. Cut it off so that only about 1/2 inch protrudes. Slip a short piece of lawn mower fuel line over it. Now you can just slip the bolt into the bolt hole and not worry about getting to anything with a wrench. Slip it into place and put in the four screws in the front. The bolt now just serves as a pin to hold the rear down.