CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   I'm going to use the paddles when really getting on it (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3216659-im-going-to-use-the-paddles-when-really-getting-on-it.html)

Tonylmiller 02-11-2013 04:20 PM

I'm going to use the paddles when really getting on it

The auto modes are great for driving around town, but when get deep into the throttle, I think I am going to stick with the paddle shifters. Sometimes an unexpected (uncontrolled) downshift can break the tires loose without warning, and I have read about some bad consequences for some other owners on this forum. Especially on curves.

I think I can control the car a lot better when shifting with the paddles when driving aggressively because I don't get any surprises from the transmission.

Kind of the best of both worlds for me, I think. The auto modes just don't cut it for me when driving aggressively. I need more control.

Maybe everyone already does this, but I thought it would be something to consider, if not. I think it could help avoid an injury or accident for someone.

ExRedRacer 02-11-2013 04:40 PM

I'm thinking you shudda got a manual....:yesnod:

ptroxx 02-11-2013 04:47 PM

I always leave the car in sport just in case I need to hit the paddles..but I like using them around town more. And with the NNP i get that nice gurgle on my down shifts..

And if you have a tune and had the trans tweeked its even better...

CaryBob 02-11-2013 05:30 PM

Surprised it took six years to reach that point. But now that you've seen the light I absolutely agree with you. Especially in iffy conditions (rain, low temps, etc) i want to control the shifts myself.

ProfessorDeath 02-11-2013 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red Racer (Post 1583096097)

:iagree:

ruxvette 02-11-2013 05:46 PM

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Tonylmiller 02-11-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by CaryBob (Post 1583096486)
Surprised it took six years to reach that point. But now that you've seen the light I absolutely agree with you. Especially in iffy conditions (rain, low temps, etc) i want to control the shifts myself.

I have only driven the car a few 100 miles...

Tonylmiller 02-11-2013 06:46 PM

I do like manuals, but I really like this auto. I can always take control and shift it when I want.

TerryL 02-11-2013 07:20 PM

In the twisties and on on and off ramps I also use the paddles to be in the right gear. It's a smart transmission but sometimes it chooses a gear lower than desired. BTW, manuals are slower than autos....

MKenM 02-11-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by TerryL (Post 1583097449)
In the twisties and on on and off ramps I also use the paddles to be in the right gear. It's a smart transmission but sometimes it chooses a gear lower than desired. BTW, manuals are slower than autos....

Incoming

GS_V 02-11-2013 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller (Post 1583095938)
The auto modes are great for driving around town, but when get deep into the throttle, I think I am going to stick with the paddle shifters. Sometimes an unexpected (uncontrolled) downshift can break the tires loose without warning, and I have read about some bad consequences for some other owners on this forum. Especially on curves.

I think I can control the car a lot better when shifting with the paddles when driving aggressively because I don't get any surprises from the transmission.

Kind of the best of both worlds for me, I think. The auto modes just don't cut it for me when driving aggressively. I need more control.

Maybe everyone already does this, but I thought it would be something to consider, if not. I think it could help avoid an injury or accident for someone.

I got these special leather gloves from a supporting tuner here on CF... they are special paddle-shifting gloves. The finger tips have this special carbon fiber material that will give you a better, more precise feel when up or down shifting. The "connect" the driver to the car..... After 5 minutes of driving, you and the car become ONE!!!!

just messin with ya, I drive a manual
:leaving:
:D

ruxvette 02-11-2013 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by GS_V (Post 1583097944)
I got these special leather gloves from a supporting tuner here on CF... they are special paddle-shifting gloves. The finger tips have this special carbon fiber material that will give you a better, more precise feel when up or down shifting. The "connect" the driver to the car..... After 5 minutes of driving, you and the car become ONE!!!!D

Just a step too far. I, for one, am sooo unhappy I bought a car with a dumb transmission.
:crazy2:

plmkrzy 02-11-2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by GS_V (Post 1583097944)
I got these special leather gloves from a supporting tuner here on CF... they are special paddle-shifting gloves. The finger tips have this special carbon fiber material that will give you a better, more precise feel when up or down shifting. The "connect" the driver to the car..... After 5 minutes of driving, you and the car become ONE!!!!

just messin with ya, I drive a manual
:leaving:
:D

:funnypost::funnypost::lol::lol:

dvilin 02-11-2013 08:33 PM

:iagree: No doubt about it.

DSOMC6 02-11-2013 09:10 PM

As someone pointed out years ago (and it's in the owners manual which I failed at reading :rofl:): The further you mash down on the go pedal the lower gear the tranny will down shift to. If you punch-it to the floor or close proximity it will down shift several gears. If you push down on the accelerator a small percetage it will only dowshift one gear.

ruxvette 02-11-2013 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DSOMC6 (Post 1583098518)
As someone pointed out years ago (and it's in the owners manual which I failed at reading :rofl:): The further you mash down on the go pedal the lower gear the tranny will down shift to. If you punch-it to the floor or close proximity it will down shift several gears. If you push down on the accelerator a small percetage it will only dowshift one gear.

I hear what you're saying but I move the stick...just sayin...
:hide:

hawkgfr 02-11-2013 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller (Post 1583095938)

After a few more miles you'll find the paddles are too slow...I did use then in town but usually because I wanted it to stay locked in a particular gear...

The tranny really works well in auto but you have to learn the rpm ranges top avoid it going up two or three gears on hard acceleration (getting you in trouble)The one thing the auto can do with amazing accuracy is shift into low from fourth say at about 40 mph...that gets your attention...lol Make sure you are pointed straight. Everything else though is meh...

Keep practicing and you'll learn the engine rpm and car speed verses throttle position and you can always make it do your bidding..

Tonylmiller 02-11-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by hawkgfr (Post 1583098851)
After a few more miles you'll find the paddles are too slow...I did use then in town but usually because I wanted it to stay locked in a particular gear...

The tranny really works well in auto but you have to learn the rpm ranges top avoid it going up two or three gears on hard acceleration (getting you in trouble)The one thing the auto can do with amazing accuracy is shift into low from fourth say at about 40 mph...that gets your attention...lol Make sure you are pointed straight. Everything else though is meh...

Keep practicing and you'll learn the engine rpm and car speed verses throttle position and you can always make it do your bidding..

You are right, I'm sure, but for now I think I'd better use the paddles. I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it in time.

I think it would be easier if the throttle response was more linear, but it seems like not much happens for most of the travel, then all of a sudden it kicks down and the tires break loose.

Maybe I just need more practice with the car. I think I'll go for drive...

berk4422 02-11-2013 09:59 PM

Paddles are awesome, especially with a TCM tune. Much more responsive.

ptroxx 02-11-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by berk4422 (Post 1583098996)
Paddles are awesome, especially with a TCM tune. Much more responsive.

Yup.. I hade local tuner hook me up with some great shifts... Its awesome, with or without the paddles...