CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   helmet recommendations (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3217531-helmet-recommendations.html)

vinniemc 02-12-2013 11:21 PM

helmet recommendations

I've never been to autox or the drag strip, but I will be going pretty soon. I need a snell 2005 approved helmet I think? I want an open face one because they seem to have the best visibility. Any recommendations for a decent cheap one?

Thanks,

- Vinnie

JETninja 02-12-2013 11:34 PM

Unless you have eyes on the side of your head, a full face helmet is just fine. Does a nice job of protecting your lower face in a nasty collision.

You need to go and try some on to get an idea of size. A lot depends on your $$$, from lower end Pyrotect are nice to Arai which are one of the very best...and dozens in between.

rithsleeper 02-13-2013 06:55 AM

Zamp is what I use and was about as cheap as they come like 170 bucks. It fits better than every other helmet I own like all my mtorcycle helmets.

acrace 02-13-2013 07:08 AM

Snell standards are issued every 5 years. So the most current is 2010. Also, Snell standards can be M (for motorcycle), SA (special application, including racing), K (for kart).

Check with the clubs you would run with to learn what their standards are. Most probably M would be acceptable, but I would still suggest checking.

I'd suggest getting a SA2010 so that you have the most flexibility with what you might want to do in the future, and you have the longest possible time horizon with the helmet before it is no longer valid. It's not much more expensive.

vinniemc 02-13-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by acrace (Post 1583110102)
Snell standards are issued every 5 years. So the most current is 2010. Also, Snell standards can be M (for motorcycle), SA (special application, including racing), K (for kart).

Check with the clubs you would run with to learn what their standards are. Most probably M would be acceptable, but I would still suggest checking.

I'd suggest getting a SA2010 so that you have the most flexibility with what you might want to do in the future, and you have the longest possible time horizon with the helmet before it is no longer valid. It's not much more expensive.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, a 2010 helmet will be good until 2022 or something like that.

ltborg 02-13-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by acrace (Post 1583110102)

+1. I've always had good luck with Bell Helmets. Not necessarily the cheapest, but I'm not a fan of skimping on safety items. Arais are really nice, but they're expensive and run pretty small. I haven't been able to find one that is comfortable to wear.

Bill Dearborn 02-13-2013 12:24 PM

Look at Impact and Simpson helmets as well. If you can find a race shop in your area go and try on several helmets, they all fit a little different even when the same size. If you want a really nice helmet try a Stilo at HMS Motorsports in Danvers but be sitting down when they tell you the price. The owner of HMS sells helmets and other safety equipment to Hendrick Motorsports for their NASCAR teams and is a recognized safety expert. He will tell you what you need to look for in a helmet for comfort, safety, etc.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store

Bill

Han Solo 02-13-2013 01:50 PM

+1 on the Zamp. I wore out a G-Force before this one and the Zamp looks and fits just as good for less money. Might as well go with a SA2010 and you will be covered. Not sure if any clubs are mandating full face over open or not. Seems I read some rules at some place that indicated they required the full.

Just bought my first full face though and thinking the open face may better suit me. My old helmet was open face and while I have been hit with debris a couple of times I find I'm driving with the visor open on the new full face. The clarity isn't that great at least on the Zamp visor. It has some wavy distortions or something. Also the full face smells which I assume will eventually go away.

FruiTay 02-13-2013 03:40 PM

You have to try them on first.

I thought for sure I would get a Bell when looking all over the net but when i tried them on they kept rubbing the top of my forhead too much. I put on an HJC and it was PERFECT! It was also less expensive then the Bell M4 and looks sick in matt black. $300.
Also, the pads inside fit my cheecks nice and snug like I can almost bite them. It makes for a comfortable, snug fit.
:thumbs:

rmackintosh 02-13-2013 04:30 PM

I too would recommend trying them on first if possible. I have had Shoei, Simpson and Bell and each time I was surprised that the helmet I wanted, thought would be best, didn't feel right when I tried it on...maybe it is my odd head, but I always want to test them first.

FKING1 02-13-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by rithsleeper (Post 1583110067)
Zamp is what I use and was about as cheap as they come like 170 bucks. It fits better than every other helmet I own like all my mtorcycle helmets.

:iagree:

Also, Summit Racing.
Get an SA2010

TKOGTO 02-14-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by rmackintosh (Post 1583114309)
I too would recommend trying them on first if possible. I have had Shoei, Simpson and Bell and each time I was surprised that the helmet I wanted, thought would be best, didn't feel right when I tried it on...maybe it is my odd head, but I always want to test them first.

Exact same experience. Picked one after much research only to find none of the sizes fit right. Ended up with a Bell GP.2. Although it was more than I wanted to spend, it was by far the best fit. With luck, we only need to buy one helmet every 10 years, so it's best to get the right fit.

dfinke23 02-14-2013 11:30 AM

Always get a little concerned when someone asks for the cheapest helmet. The best quality for the money is HJC.
$200 helmet = $200 head.

Han Solo 02-14-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dfinke23 (Post 1583120749)
always get a little concerned when someone asks for the cheapest helmet. The best quality for the money is hjc.
$200 helmet = $200 head.

IMO SA2010 = SA2010 as long as it fits correctly.

RxCritical 02-14-2013 05:29 PM

Check the internet and you will find several stores selling the HJC FS-3 which is a open face motorcycle helmet rated Snell 2005 for around $70 bucks. And it's comfortable, at least for me. :cheers:

el es tu 02-15-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by vinniemc (Post 1583109286)
I've never been to autox or the drag strip, but I will be going pretty soon. I need a snell 2005 approved helmet I think? I want an open face one because they seem to have the best visibility. Any recommendations for a decent cheap one?

Thanks,

- Vinnie

Simpson voyager - has a large visor
the sa2010 is 300 bucks and will be useable until 2020

Wicked Weasel 02-15-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by dfinke23 (Post 1583120749)
Always get a little concerned when someone asks for the cheapest helmet. The best quality for the money is HJC.
$200 helmet = $200 head.

so your head is worth only $500 :willy:

Originally Posted by Han Solo (Post 1583121523)
IMO SA2010 = SA2010 as long as it fits correctly.

you lose light weight benefits, better materials and sometime comfort/fit with cheaper helmets.

That being said If you use the helmet all the time then I agree buy a more expensive helmet because those extras are very nice over the long run, but if you are going to use your helmet only a few times than a lower end SA compliant helmet will be just fine.

My first SA helmet was a Gforce. It was not expensive compared to others, but it fit my needs at the time.

Originally Posted by Snell foundation
While helmets are primarily a protective device, the true protective capabilities of a helmet, if needed will only come into play for about 2 to 4 milliseconds during the lifetime of the helmet. This leaves a lot of time for that helmet to be doing nothing more than sitting around on a user's head. Producing a product that meets the standards is not really very difficult. Producing a helmet that people will buy and wear, and will consistently meet the standards is significantly more difficult. The Snell Standards do not measure factors like comfort, ventilation, brand recognition or style, and only indirectly look at fit, weight, materials and workmanship. These are factors that frequently drive helmet cost.

:cheers:

FYI to the OP - I believe some places are now requiring SA Full Face Helmets. you will not have an issue seeing with a full face helmet. They even make ones with larger eye ports for people with glasses so maybe look into those if you are concerned.

cruzin2 02-16-2013 09:56 PM

I've owned hjc and aria motorcycle helmets. The Arai was allot more money. It's main benefits was comfort and lower wind noise. My road race helmet is a Simpson and its as nice as the aria. It is very comfortable and I Can wear it all day. It's also light weight, has a wide field of view, the shield slides up niceandstays up when I want it to.

AU N EGL 02-17-2013 08:23 AM

Not all helmets fit the same. get one the fits YOUR head. IMO a little snug at first. The insulation may stretch a bit the more you put it on and take it off.

C66 Racing 02-17-2013 08:41 AM

Something to think about is basal skull fracture protection: e.g. HANs Device or similar. I personally won't get on a track without one, nor will I take a passenger without one. I don't think an open face helmet will provide the same level of protection as a full face when considering the front of the helmet is what holds your head from going forward when the helmet is stopped by the HANs device.

My own personal experience that I am here to tell the story of:
http://www.c66racing.com/Blogs/Safetygear.htm
:cheers: