CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Hit a Freaking Dog Today (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3218533-hit-a-freaking-dog-today.html)

GP777 02-14-2013 07:45 PM

Hit a Freaking Dog Today

Beautiful afternoon...on my way home from work...dog comes running wide open out of the woods into the road right in front of my car. Before I even have time to react...BAM! -sounds like a damn explosion. I hit it with the front of my car and out it comes from under my rear passenger tire. It knocked my tag filler plate lose and ripped one of the screw holes. Otherwise everything seems fine. I've already fixed the tag filler plate, but is there anything under the car prone to damage I should check out? :mad:

SimonZ06 02-14-2013 08:06 PM

i'd check to see if the dog is okay.

andrec10 02-14-2013 08:22 PM

How about the poor dog you insensitive ******! That was someone's dog! The GOD DAMN car can be fixed!

RMB97LS1 02-14-2013 08:26 PM

Sure sounds like the dog took a hard hit. Did it make it?

Try666Me 02-14-2013 08:28 PM

I see so many members ripping you a new one for hitting a dog on accident. The dog should have been on a leash or inside. The owners fault the dog got hit not the op's.

Check the air damn and any suspension components.

WildTurkey 02-14-2013 08:31 PM

Happened to me several years ago. I was going 30 in a residential. White Lab comes out of nowhere (out of the bushes, seriously) on the other side of the street. An F250 hits its rear and throws it into a helicopter spin. The dog flies into my lane and hits square on my left front. I saw it and was hitting the brakes....so it probably hit me when I was going 15 or so. I knocked the dog unconcious and it bounced directly forward on the road - very busy residential street. I pulled over as did many others. We ran to check on the dog, and it jumped up, coughed and ran off after about 2 minutes. Really awful. We searched for it, but gone....dont know if it survived or not? Then, I went and looked at my car - front end cracked, destroyed really. I should have thought about the TS front end then, but now, I am very happy I put on the original. Damage was $980, deductible was $1,000, so I just bit the bullet. I have 2 other worse dog stories. Hope your car repairs go smooth.

P.S. I am convinced that the softer front end saved the dogs life - at least I hope it did...unsure to this day

andrec10 02-14-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Try666Me (Post 1583125097)
I see so many members ripping you a new one for hitting a dog on accident. The dog should have been on a leash or inside. The owners fault the dog got hit not the op's.

Never said it was not the owners fault, the OP was not even concerned about the dog!

GP777 02-14-2013 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by andrec10 (Post 1583125036)
How about the poor dog you insensitive ******! That was someone's dog! The GOD DAMN car can be fixed!

Dogs dead...got a flat spot the size of my back tire. Maybe the owner wil invite you to the dogs funeral.

Dog should have been in a fence or on a leash.

Thanks for the constructive response.

damilleniumboy 02-14-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Try666Me (Post 1583125097)

:iagree: btw, when I'm in my truck, which is most of the time, I mash the go pedal:eek::leaving:.:D

reath1 02-14-2013 09:17 PM

Wow! I am as much of a dog lover as anyone. We have 5 in fact, but if one of ours ran out in front of any car, much less a vette, I would expect the drivers LAST worry would be my dog. Absolutely no excuse for someone's pet to be loose.

I am pretty sure that a vette vs. one of our dogs would be complete and total carnage to both at any speed over 20 MPH. I would think the driver would probably have the big guy or gal in his lap.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...psb42b2510.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...pseb62fd76.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...ps17f956c4.jpg

jrose7004 02-14-2013 09:45 PM

Poor doggie!:(

WildTurkey 02-14-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by reath1 (Post 1583125487)
I would expect the drivers LAST worry would be my dog.

Not true...atleast for me

El original 02-14-2013 09:49 PM

IMHO a dog is a dog and does escape and runs wild...accidents happen and you never can be completely prepared for such things coming out of no where. Be very happy it was not someones kid and understand just how quickly things can happen. I think OP was not thinking when posting that it could be thought of as insensitive and this is the Corvette forum...so he had a question about his Corvette not somebodys runaway dog. I too feel for someones dog that will be missed and am sure OP feels the same.

Illini Al 02-14-2013 09:55 PM

Not your fault, OP, but I feel worse for the dog than I do for you. You have insurance and the car can be fixed. The dog cannot.

chad3113 02-14-2013 10:07 PM

I love my dog like nothing else, but OP has every right to be concerned about his car, not the dog. By hitting that dog it just cost him 3 grand (1k for damages, 2k in vehicle value loss on resale).

C5FORFUN2 02-14-2013 10:11 PM

Find the dogs owner and have them pay!! They are the ones responsible for the dog and any damage caused from it being loose. Yes it could have been worse, someone could have swerved to miss the dog and caused a head on crash. Too many irresponsible pet owners.

renegad44 02-14-2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1583125731)
Poor doggie!:(

:iagree: :( That's what I thought. Car probably could be fixed, poor dog can't, he's gone.

PhysicsDude55 02-14-2013 10:41 PM

To answer the OP's question, and not judge him based on his concern for the deceased canine participant...

Check the air damn and the plastic "splash guard" below the car.

Both of these are designed to seal in the radiator, if there are cracks or gaps, then air will sneak past the radiator, and could cause overheating problems.

You mentioned screw holes were broken, I am assuming you're talking about the splash guard which attaches to the front bumper. If it were me, I would replace it. I wouldn't want to hit and bump and have it break or fall off and cause even more damage.

Rookieracer 02-14-2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by C5FORFUN2 (Post 1583125934)
Find the dogs owner and have them pay!! They are the ones responsible for the dog and any damage caused from it being loose. Yes it could have been worse, someone could have swerved to miss the dog and caused a head on crash. Too many irresponsible pet owners.

:iagree:

I'm a dog owner/lover, in fact my Lab was the ring bearer at my wedding. My dogs are an integral part of my family just slightly less important than my kids.

I guess this makes me even less tolerant of people who don't take proper care of their pets. I would ask around the neighborhood to see if the dog being loose was a regular occurrence. If so, hand the owner the bill for the repairs to your car. If this is the first time then offer your condolences to the owner.

On edit:
Sorry about your Vette.:(

OKZ06 02-14-2013 10:45 PM

If you hit a cat you would probably getting cheers around here.