CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Finally came over to the Dark Side (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3224738-finally-came-over-to-the-dark-side.html)

06LMBZ 02-26-2013 02:12 PM

I too came from a mostly Ford background. I started off with a 65 mustang, then had an 89 foxbody notchback with a BBF , then bought an 03 cobra which I modified it to make 750rwhp with a whipple 3.4, sold it because I wanted a more classy car for the wife and I to cruise in and bought an M5. Sold that for more power and bought a z06, which in my opinion has the best of both worlds, very classy and elegant and extremely powerful and fun.

SergeantZ 02-26-2013 03:40 PM

Very nice color and good trade-up! I'm another transplant as well, had a '10 GT500 with a TVS blower before this (also '03 Cobra, '04 Mach 1, '02 GT, and even an '85 SVO) so I know what a huge difference shedding 800 lbs feels like. The increase in mpg was nice too since I drive my cars cross-country!

Grabber07' 02-26-2013 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by tim414 (Post 1583221137)
:iagree: I didn't realize it until I bought one...:cheers:

Car looks amazing at dusk!! Parked her this evening and had to look back multiple times going into dinner...lighting was just right. Color was just too cool.

Originally Posted by zeeohh6ex (Post 1583222315)
Welcome I love me some Grabber blue but you made the right choice

Grabber is a like it or hate it color, I for one loved it. And I think so to :thumbs:

Originally Posted by 20psirabbit (Post 1583222844)
I went from a lightly modded '03 Cobra to my '06 Z, no regrets here either :)
Welcome and congratulations!

Lot of Cobra converts here :D Thanks for the welcome!

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1583222894)
Big congrats for you! It's beautiful, looks exactly like mine. :D
Had thought the price of an '08 2LZ JSB Z06 sitting at my dealer for over a year was more than I could swing. Besides, had always owned red Corvettes so was on the fence concerning JSB.

Fortunately while buying my wife her CTS-4, asked dealer's GM what kind of deal he'd cut me for their 'orphen' Z using my '06 Z51 as a trade. Numbers were great & rest history. Finally got the chance to own a copy, one in a lifetime opportunity for me. Couldn't possibly be any happier and the color's constantly getting compliments. Shocked the bejebbers outa me. :lol:

What option level is your car?
Did it have any warranty left?
If not did the dealer offer you one?

Bought a GMPP for mine and since it's been left bone stock should the LS7 injest valve(s) destroying motor a new LS7 will be installed on Chevrolet's dime. *Any engine mod voids warranty, just a FYI in case you didn't know.

Actually both cars are damned nice, but methinks you're really going to appreciate this car coming from a pretty stout muscle car to start. :cheers:

Bought it from a private party seller, so no dealer warranty offered. Car is an 08 2lz and I am pretty sure the warranty is up, but do not know when the clock started. Not sure how to research when it was first sold.

[QUOTE=EX1;1583223412]

Originally Posted by lucki86 (Post 1583219538)

The main issue is the valve guides, not the valves just by themselves.

OP, nice buy! Enjoy the 700lb weight reduction. As far as the valve issue. Have your heads redone with bronze guides and check the wear on the other componets. Might as well port and mill heads while they are off and throw in a cam:thumbs:. Then enjoy!

Definitely enjoying the lighter feel to the car! I am going to do the heads, just not sure when. Motor sounds smooth right now. Definitely going to throw in a cam while im having work done :rock:

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1583223495)
Congratulations & Welcome to the Dark Side . . .

One of the Dark Side ZOfficers6 will be in touch to provide our Application for admission and review our Confidentiality Agreement. Dues will be assessed at that time . . . .

:hide:

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1583223897)
Congratulations and welcome aboard :cheers: Nice move up. JSB is a beautiful color. Looks great :thumbs: Enjoy the ride.

Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 1583224089)
Welcome. I have one of each 66 Mustang, 2011 Z06.

Very Jealous, love the '66

Originally Posted by 06LMBZ (Post 1583224241)
I too came from a mostly Ford background. I started off with a 65 mustang, then had an 89 foxbody notchback with a BBF , then bought an 03 cobra which I modified it to make 750rwhp with a whipple 3.4, sold it because I wanted a more classy car for the wife and I to cruise in and bought an M5. Sold that for more power and bought a z06, which in my opinion has the best of both worlds, very classy and elegant and extremely powerful and fun.

Wow that is quite the Ford History! I too started with an '85 Mustang GT, then '89 GT, then '94 GT, '97 GT, '07 GT, '10 GT500, now the '08 Z. First impressions are that my GT500 would definitely pull away from the Z06, but it was also pushing some decent power with mods. Will have to just mod the new ride a bit to reclaim that title :D. There is no getting around the weight difference between the two.

That Cobra you had sounds nasty! That is some serious power, hell my good friend owns an 03 Sonic Blue Cobra pushing 500rwhp and it feels like its going shred its panels when the go pedal is pressed.

The Z06 definitely does get looks! Already had 3 people come up to me talking about stories of the past. There is definitely a cult following for these beautiful machines.

Originally Posted by SergeantZ (Post 1583224965)
Very nice color and good trade-up! I'm another transplant as well, had a '10 GT500 with a TVS blower before this (also '03 Cobra, '04 Mach 1, '02 GT, and even an '85 SVO) so I know what a huge difference shedding 800 lbs feels like. The increase in mpg was nice too since I drive my cars cross-country!

Thanks! I swear I saw 32 mpg doing 65mph in 6th gear today. Wow is all I can say.... I averaged around 22ish on the highway with the Shelby, but 15-16mpg in the city. This car is definitely a different feel than the Shelby. Just feel completely different on acceleration. Boost vs All Motor. Shelby was smoother on acceleration, I get a bit of vibration when I go WOT with corvette...might be my imagination. 3rd gear acceleration at 65mph was not as hard hitting as my GT500, might need to take the Z to 2nd?

Regardless I am loving this car. Going to take the buffer to it this weekend, recondition the leather, and shine up the exhaust. Car just looks bad ass even sitting still. :cool: Cant wait to put more miles on her, just need to learn the cars characteristics and where the acceleration sweet spots are.

I appreciate everyones comments, thank you for the warm welcome :cheers:

SIC_C6 02-27-2013 12:49 AM

sicccccc!! god i love that grabber blue too