CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] metallic scraping noise (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3233842-metallic-scraping-noise.html)

880 03-12-2013 08:51 PM

metallic scraping noise

hi guys,

I have a 2011 Z06 with ~18k miles. It started making some noises 2 weeks ago. I have a feeling it's something related to rotor/caliper/brake pads.

I'm going to take off the rotor this weekend and measure it to see the highest/lowest point. Also look at the brake pads and calipers.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

* metallic scraping noise that corresponds to wheel revolution
* pulsating brake pedal when slowing steady to a stop
* scraping noise is more noticeable when making a wide left turn
* noise and pulsating only comes after at least 30 min of driving; noise does not appear when first starting car after 5 day break; takes a while of driving for noise to appear
* front passenger rotor has 2 deep groves, can see brake pad imprints on a section
* brake pads are still good, pins don't look like touching the rotors
* jacked up car and tugged wheel at 6&12 oclock positions, no play
* didn't see any rocks or anything else hitting rotor

Alberta_Z06 03-13-2013 01:37 AM

Do you think perhaps you are chasing two different symptoms...pulsation vs metal scrapping? Once you actually take the calipers off, you might find the cause of your noise and/or pulsation.

For me, I had a scrapping sound emitting from the brakes when I would load the car to the right; especially under wide turns at speed (30mph+). It was a very tinny sounding scrap. It turned out to be the anti-rattle clip (not sure if that's what it is actually called) was rubbing on my rotor slightly. Bent it back/corrected it and all was good.

Good Luck

LMBTom 03-13-2013 09:08 AM

Sounds like you have at least one uneven/warped rotor and something scraping (probably that clip that Alberta mentioned), likely against the passenger rotor.

New OEM rotors are only about $80 each (if you have the standard Z06 brakes), though you're likely covered under warranty.

I wouldn't worry about brake pad imprints. I've always get that after washing the car and letting it sit for a while afterwards. They wear off after some hard braking.

capevettes 03-13-2013 11:10 AM

:iagree: Sounds typical of one or more warped rotors.

truckplay 03-14-2013 04:28 PM

While the wheels are still on and off the ground, shake the wheel up & down and side to side. You may have a wheel bearing going out.

880 03-25-2013 09:50 PM

I replaced all 4 rotors with oem rotors and brake pads with carbotech 1 piece. Went for a test drive and bedded the pads. No more noise!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 03-26-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 880 (Post 1583460544)
I replaced all 4 rotors with oem rotors and brake pads with carbotech 1 piece. Went for a test drive and bedded the pads. No more noise!

:cool:

jedblanks 03-26-2013 07:03 PM

If you still get the pulsating, might try new brake fluid. Maybe moisture got into it somehow.

capevettes 03-27-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 880 (Post 1583460544)

:cheers: Once in a while we get it right :D