CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Interior Lights Won't Turn Off! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3235821-interior-lights-wont-turn-off.html)

jman4582 03-15-2013 10:42 PM

Interior Lights Won't Turn Off!

I was driving my '90 around tonight and all of a sudden, my interior lights and "door ajar" notification" pop on. I've noticed this from time to time in the first minute or so of driving, but the lights have never stayed on for this long. Throughout the rest of my ride, the lights just kept popping on and off. I tried shutting both doors multiple times, to no avail. Then, I get home and the lights still won't go off. I tried locking and unlocking the door several times, again to no avail. Finally, I restart the car and the lights shut off. But I'm afraid this problem is going to pop up again, and now I'm afraid to drive it anywhere. Any idea what this could be and if it's something I can fix myself?

John A. Marker 03-15-2013 10:57 PM

If yours is like my 95, there is a switch on each door. When the door closes, the plunger is pushed in and disconnects the circuit to the lights. More than likely the switch has broken inside the door and the plunger no does nothing.

jman4582 03-15-2013 11:04 PM

Is there a fix?

speedycat3 03-15-2013 11:29 PM

Most likely you will need to replace the offending switch.
Be aware that there is a backing plate inside the door, and you need to take off the screws off one at a time or the plate witll fall in the door and might be hard to get.
Replace one screw with a longer one to hold the plate, take off the other one, move the switch to the side, replace the screw that is off to hold the plate again and install the new switch by reversing the procedure.
If you doo a search for door jamb switch or door light switch you will find a few write uo threads that some mebers have posted.

jman4582 03-15-2013 11:35 PM

I guess I'll have to buy the new part then? In the mean time, is there a away to just disconnect the interior lights so I don't accidentally drain the battery. Honestly, I don't have much use for the interior lights, anyway.

jman4582 03-15-2013 11:44 PM

Also, is there a place anyone can suggest getting the part? Like everyone else on here, I've sworn off Ecklers.

jman4582 03-16-2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by speedycat3 (Post 1583376304)
Most likely you will need to replace the offending switch.
Be aware that there is a backing plate inside the door, and you need to take off the screws off one at a time or the plate witll fall in the door and might be hard to get.
Replace one screw with a longer one to hold the plate, take off the other one, move the switch to the side, replace the screw that is off to hold the plate again and install the new switch by reversing the procedure.
If you doo a search for door jamb switch or door light switch you will find a few write uo threads that some mebers have posted.

Sorry, I don't have any experience in taking off the door. So there are only two screws? And when you say "move the switch to the side," do you mean take it out from behind the door?

BlackbirdZ07 03-16-2013 12:22 AM

Before you replace the switches, try adjusting them. If you look at each switch (located at the bottom rear corner of each door) you'll see a plastic plunger. On the end of the plunger, right where it contacts the body of the car, there's a round head. With a small flat blade screwdriver, pry out the head. That makes the plunger longer so it gets pushed in farther and turns off your lights. The first time you close the door it'll get pushed in to just the right length. :thumbs:

Cliff Harris 03-16-2013 12:24 AM

The plunger gets stuck in the "in" position and the switch stops working. Silicone grease DIDN'T work for me. I have regular axle grease mixed with molybdenum disulfide on there now.

The switch is held on by two screws. There is a backing plate that is diamond shaped that has two threaded holes that the screws go into. This backing plate is loose inside the door (not held on by anything but the screws).

If you unscrew both screws the backing plate will slide down the cable and will be very hard to recover inside the door. The trick is to LOOSEN one screw, unscrew the second screw and then move the switch to the side so you can put the screw you just took out into the backing plate (but not through the switch). Now you can unscrew the first screw without losing the backing plate. After that the switch pulls out of the hole. There is a connector about 6" inside the switch and you can pull the connector out of the hole far enough to unplug the switch. Now you can plug in the new switch and put everything back together. There is no need to take the door panel off.

jman4582 03-16-2013 02:05 AM

Is this the switch you guys are talking about? Just wanted to verify before I do anything

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/4592/photo9ci.jpg

speedycat3 03-16-2013 03:35 AM

Yes, that's it. Try lubbying it with wd40 to see if you get it to work. Or some light grease. You can pull the plunger out gently, and spray some lube. It should adjust next time you close the door.

jman4582 03-16-2013 10:12 AM

I think I've heard about the annoyance of the backing plate before. What is the point of it, and why was it designed so inconveniently? Just an oversight?

crzydrumer14 03-16-2013 10:48 AM

Had this same thing happen to me like a month ago. Get some needle nose and pull that plunger out in your picture and then spray some wd40 on it. Worked for me and hasn't acted up since. Let us know how it works out. For the meantime you can just take the interior light fuse out so you don't drain your battery.

jman4582 03-17-2013 12:04 PM

I pulled the plunger out and sprayed with wd40. I thought the problem was fixed but then, about 10 minutes into the ride, the flickering started again. Guess it's on to plan B. Do any of you guys know where I can buy new switches?

bp308 04-14-2019 09:04 AM

Where do you suggest getting parts that is better than Ecklers

bp308 04-14-2019 09:08 AM

How do I see the picture you are talking about?

The Green Hornet 04-14-2019 09:41 AM

This thread is 6 years old.:rofl: