CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Any Honda CR-V owners...? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/3235950-any-honda-cr-v-owners.html)

vrybad 03-16-2013 10:11 AM

Any Honda CR-V owners...?

Looking into a daily driver and I keep coming back to the CR-V, probably a later model, 2010-2012.

I've done some poking on the net and have seen mostly very good reviews, but would like some feedback here if possible.

Curious about overall reliability and gas mileage.
Whatever I buy will have to be AWD, so I think it is a good choice.

Thanks in advance for any info.

wu6fiend 03-16-2013 11:29 AM

My wife's DD is a 2010 CR-V EX 4WD. Its got about 50K km on it, with only one issue, a factory recall to re-flash the computer. Its basically a Civic with a small SUV body on top of it. Pros are the usual Honda quality, but cons include lacking basic features offered by the competition: no Bluetooth, no back up camera (her CR-V doesn't have NAV), no perimeter sensors, no memory seating etc. Overall its an ok vehicle, but the competition has surpassed Honda for features, and continues to hammer them on pricing.

The biggest complaint she has is its underpowered (she gripes about that quite a bit). It struggles to get up hills, and is a little scary when merging onto freeways. I don't think we will be buying any more Hondas (she actually said this to me the other day, which comes as quite a shock, as she was fanatically loyal to the brand up until this). I dislike driving it, and avoid doing so unless I'm going somewhere where parking is an issue.

The CR-V was updated for 2012, but the re-design was met with a collective world yawn (I was talking off the record to some people at the Honda dealership, and they were expressing their disappointment and frustration with the new model, saying Honda missed the boat yet again). Even their newest, latest vehicles seem dated and stodgy.

Definitely shop around, there are several small SUVs that offer a ton more features, actual design innovation, and at better prices too.

vrybad 03-16-2013 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info, wu6fiend.
I really appreciate the first-hand comments about the lack of power and standard features.
I am actually looking more towards a Nissan Juke at this point.
(I hate the internet, sit here all day looking at this stuff!:lol:)
Small, AWD, good gas mileage, just might be what I am looking for.

lowazztruck 03-16-2013 08:12 PM

I don't own one but was looking at them. The 2013 has many standard features and loaded with navi leather backup camera and all the other bells and whistles you can find one for like 27 or less

wu6fiend 03-17-2013 02:18 AM

I checked what she is getting, mileage wise. 10.7L/100km, which is about 22 MPG. I think there are better vehicles, design wise and value for dollar, on the market. Anybody who says differently has probably drunk deeply from the Honda Kool-Aid well.

The employee I was talking to (off the record) at the dealership told me that when the new CR-V was brought to the dealership and introduced by the rep, one of the employees said, "It looks like a Pontiac Aztek!" and many people laughed. The rep was not amused.

The day I was there, they had a Crosstour and a CR-Z in the showroom, along with the all new CR-V. What a collection of automotive dogs.

vrybad 03-17-2013 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by lowazztruck (Post 1583382567)
I don't own one but was looking at them. The 2013 has many standard features and loaded with navi leather backup camera and all the other bells and whistles you can find one for like 27 or less

Originally Posted by wu6fiend (Post 1583384811)
I checked what she is getting, mileage wise. 10.7L/100km, which is about 22 MPG. I think there are better vehicles, design wise and value for dollar, on the market. Anybody who says differently has probably drunk deeply from the Honda Kool-Aid well.

The employee I was talking to (off the record) at the dealership told me that when the new CR-V was brought to the dealership and introduced by the rep, one of the employees said, "It looks like a Pontiac Aztek!" and many people laughed. The rep was not amused.

The day I was there, they had a Crosstour and a CR-Z in the showroom, along with the all new CR-V. What a collection of automotive dogs.

Thanks for all the info, gentlemen!

I'm actually going to look at a couple vehicles today, after lunch.
Nissan Juke and a Subaru Legacy sedan.
Both are priced right and get good mileage, so I'll have to see which fits me the best.

Dave68 03-17-2013 08:40 PM

Mazda CX-5

Don't discount the Mazda CX-5. It will easily out-handle a CRV and Juke and possibly get better fuel mileage. A diesel SkyActive is scheduled to be an option, this year but the current SkyActive gas engine-equipped CX-5 averages 29 MPG. To me, it looks alot better than the Juke.

http://www.carsbase.com/photo/Mazda-..._pic_90104.jpg

vrybad 03-18-2013 01:12 AM

Thanks, Dave68!
I have not looked at Mazda but I will definitely check this one out. It looks like a nice machine.

Dave68 03-18-2013 02:54 PM

You're welcome, vrybad.

The CX-5 has been selling very well since its release. Mazda has had to crank up production, as they underestimated its popularity, here in the US.

vatakle 03-18-2013 05:24 PM

Try new Escape or CX-5. With CX-5, make sure you get the newer 2.4L engine that was launched this year. The last year CX-5 is even slower than CR-V and is boring to drive. Juke is ugly but a good option if you don't need rear space. If considering escape, get the 2.0T which is good if you are in hilly area, it won't lose as much power as a NA engine.

I have driven my cousin's 2010 CRV a lot. If space is a concern, nothing beats it. Mileage is good too depending on how you drive. The features are minimal, reliability is great but it is slow. Its not as slow as CX-5/Tucson/Rav4 but it does require more effort to get it going.

Alternate would be to look for a RAV4 V6 from 2009-2012. The newer Rav4 doesn't have a V6. That will satisfy need for power.

vrybad 03-18-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by vatakle (Post 1583398083)
Try new Escape or CX-5. With CX-5, make sure you get the newer 2.4L engine that was launched this year. The last year CX-5 is even slower than CR-V and is boring to drive. Juke is ugly but a good option if you don't need rear space. If considering escape, get the 2.0T which is good if you are in hilly area, it won't lose as much power as a NA engine.

I have driven my cousin's 2010 CRV a lot. If space is a concern, nothing beats it. Mileage is good too depending on how you drive. The features are minimal, reliability is great but it is slow. Its not as slow as CX-5/Tucson/Rav4 but it does require more effort to get it going.

Alternate would be to look for a RAV4 V6 from 2009-2012. The newer Rav4 doesn't have a V6. That will satisfy need for power.

I'll consider those models you suggested.

I did drive the Juke this past Sunday.
I actually like the looks of it, but it took a short while to grow on me.

As for driving it, the Juke has plenty of power for the type of driving I do.
It pulls pretty nice with the turbo 4.
I like the suspension, pretty taught and handles well.

Visibility is good, interior is nice and not cramped- I am 6', 250lbs, and the sales rep was a pretty solid guy, too, and we both fit in the front two seats very comfortably without any lack of shoulder space.

Headroom is good, seats are comfortable and the interior space will be enough for what I need the vehicle to do.

Looks like I may have settled on the vehicle, but I will be considering all suggestions.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.:thumbs:

lsxvette 03-26-2013 05:49 PM

im in the same boat looking for a crv

Chevy Guy 03-31-2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by vrybad (Post 1583378158)
Looking into a daily driver and I keep coming back to the CR-V, probably a later model, 2010-2012.

I've done some poking on the net and have seen mostly very good reviews, but would like some feedback here if possible.

Curious about overall reliability and gas mileage.
Whatever I buy will have to be AWD, so I think it is a good choice.

Thanks in advance for any info.

We bought a 10' brand new. Its a great little vehicle. Gas mileage isn't as impressive, gets 18-20mpg mostly city driving, 25+ on the highway. No downsides so far. 49k miles and no repairs yet, knock on wood, just a recall for a computer update.

vatakle 03-31-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by vrybad (Post 1583398987)

Looks like I may have settled on the vehicle, but I will be considering all suggestions.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.:thumbs:

So did you get the juke? How much does it cost? I think with its price you can get base model of cr-v. Also drive hyundai tucson and kia sportage. You will like Sportage if you liked Juke.

Let us know which one you ended up with and why.

vvv90 05-22-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dave68 (Post 1583391047)
Don't discount the Mazda CX-5. It will easily out-handle a CRV and Juke and possibly get better fuel mileage. A diesel SkyActive is scheduled to be an option, this year but the current SkyActive gas engine-equipped CX-5 averages 29 MPG. To me, it looks alot better than the Juke.

http://www.carsbase.com/photo/Mazda-..._pic_90104.jpg

I picked up that exact vehicle for the wife on Saturday. Same color and everything.

We test drove (multiple times) ever small SUV on the market in that price range and were stunned that we ended up with a Mazda. Would've never thunk it. A close 2nd was the Rav4 but my wife liked the look of the Mazda better.

Just got back from a 300 miles road trip yesterday and it's well appointed interior made it a pleasure to drive. It's got big "ears" though so the wind noise/buffetting was noticeable, but not even close to unbearable.

Almost bought the Mazda 6, holy crap what a gorgeous vehicle, and I hated the previous 6!

vrybad 05-26-2013 12:53 PM

Just an update.

I ended up buying a 2011 VW Tiguan.
7500 miles at purchase.
Certified for an additional 2 year warranty beyond the factory 3/36.

Nice build quality, good gas mileage, good power and I saved over $8000 over a new 2013.

So far I like it a lot.

ZL1Vette 07-12-2017 01:40 AM

Any thoughts on the 2017 model ? Thinking about leasing one with either 12k or 15k annual mileage. Probably the EX-L and/or AWD options plus nice seats and inerior.

1bdvet 07-22-2017 09:44 PM

We are on our third one, keep them 8 years 80,000 miles before we replace, only thing we done was oil changes, tires, and front brakes. The day we pulled out of the dealership never went back for any repairs, can't kill them.
My only complaint, crappy gas mileage.

Junglepeanut 07-30-2017 06:12 PM

Agreed. No issues at all until 100K. And then it seems like something small all the time. Coworkers have also. Lots of little issues just keep happening after 100K.

I actually think the mpg is good for what it is. 2009 CRV.