CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2014 z06, & zr1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3256517-2014-z06-and-zr1.html)

Bristol 04-19-2013 04:53 PM

2014 z06, & zr1

Since Chevy has annouced that they are dropping the 7 liter 505 engine in tCamero Z1, see this weeks Autoweek, what you you guess will the HP and engine be in the 2014 Z06 and ZR1?:rock:

BWF07 04-19-2013 05:10 PM

There is no 2014 Z06 or ZR1 planned. You will have your pick of the C7 base with a 1LT,2LT or 3LT. Then there is the Z51 1LT, 2LT,or 3LT. early next year the roadster will be available and most like in the same trims as the coupe, but no Z06 or ZR1.

sam90lx 04-19-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1583683924)
There is no 2014 Z06 or ZR1 planned. You will have your pick of the C7 base with a 1LT,2LT or 3LT. Then there is the Z51 1LT, 2LT,or 3LT. early next year the roadster will be available and most like in the same trims as the coupe, but no Z06 or ZR1.

I think he means the Z06 and ZR1 variants! Who knows what they will be called. I expect no less than 575 in the NA car and 675 in the FI car.

I am hoping they have both flavors.

Edit, just saw the question as to 2014....BWF07 is correct.

SBC_and_a_stick 04-19-2013 08:17 PM

I don't know where 575hp would come from, wishful thinking? If the LT1 makes 15-35hp more than the LS3, the NA performance version is not going to touch 575 NA. I bet there won't even be an NA version.

DI gave a higher compression but took away some intake valve room. A performance NA version would need far more than 7 liters of displacement and CNC heads to get to 575hp. We're talking about upgraded VVT(L).

sam90lx 04-19-2013 08:19 PM

If GM cant get 575 or 600 from an NA motor...they should get out of the car business!
If it takes a 7.0, so be it but if they dont they are missing the boat imo.

SBC_and_a_stick 04-19-2013 08:27 PM

I'm sure they can, that's never the problem. The engineering exercise is final output at a certain cost. Everyone keeps complaining that the LS7 crate engine is expensive. GM simply cannot make $ with exotic motors, that's not their business model. They just pulled themselves out of a financial hole, I don't think they'll make a $20,000 NA engine for the sake of NA. They can't afford it. I'd love to see it.

I can afford the LS7 crate but honestly I'm not sure I want to pay that much more. I'll be waiting for these LT1s to come out and test a C7 on a track somewhere but in the end LS3 remains an irresistible choice.

LS1LT1 04-19-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1583685601)
I don't know where 575hp would come from, wishful thinking? If the LT1 makes 15-35hp more than the LS3, the NA performance version is not going to touch 575 NA. I bet there won't even be an NA version.

:iagree: I think there will only be ONE higher performance variant this time around and I think it will be either supercharged (more likely) or turbocharged. :yesnod:

SSTEVEGS 04-19-2013 09:51 PM

...the entire C5 production line never saw a ZR1

lt4obsesses 04-20-2013 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS (Post 1583686569)
...the entire C5 production line never saw a ZR1

There was a video from Sebring 2012 I believe, where Juechter said that the ZR1 was a product of the C7 being temporarily delayed. Had the timeline stayed true as planned, there would be no ZR1.

That said, the cad drawings leaked out prior to reveal showed that was called the LT4 and it supposedly was supercharged. I would probably hang my hat on that one. I feel that GM wants to add the higher power addition, but are going to prioritize efficiency and emissions, for better or worse.

I wonder if they could get away with a very limited production, N/A 8.2 liter Katech type of engine...that would be fun.

racebum 04-20-2013 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1583685632)
If GM cant get 575 or 600 from an NA motor...they should get out of the car business!
If it takes a 7.0, so be it but if they dont they are missing the boat imo.

the C5R made 620

making that kind of power NA and having a 100k warranty is asking a lot when you couple in the price bracket corvette is expected to be at

you also have a car that's going to be traction challenged unless you spec it with R comps for street tires and it's sunny out

personally i could care less about the HP figures. corvette hasn't had a hp problem since 1997. what they have had issues with are the seats, appear to be fixed in the c7 and the clutch and steering response. i hope to god the c7 has better steering feedback than the c5/c6, same with clutch feel.

someone needs to take a GM engineer and sit them in a lotus evora, honda s2000 and porsche cayman and let them feel with steering input should feel like

LS1LT1 04-20-2013 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1583687972)
That said, the cad drawings leaked out prior to reveal showed that was called the LT4 and it supposedly was supercharged. I would probably hang my hat on that one. I feel that GM wants to add the higher power addition, but are going to prioritize efficiency and emissions, for better or worse.

:iagree: I think that LT4 might become a reality as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will have to be called 'ZR1' either of course. It might even be called 'Z06' even though it might seem a bit odd to call a forced induction car by that name LOL.

Or maybe the engine will be labeled as an 'L88' and the model will have a different name entirely (Mako Shark? ZR2? SS? :D).

Paulchristian 04-20-2013 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by racebum (Post 1583688173)
...what they have had issues with are the seats, appear to be fixed in the c7 and the clutch and steering response. i hope to god the c7 has better steering feedback than the c5/c6, same with clutch feel.

someone needs to take a GM engineer and sit them in a lotus evora, honda s2000 and porsche cayman and let them feel with steering input should feel like

Absolutely correct. :thumbs:

SBC_and_a_stick 04-20-2013 06:40 PM

the C5R made 620

making that kind of power NA and having a 100k warranty is asking a lot when you couple in the price bracket corvette is expected to be at

you also have a car that's going to be traction challenged unless you spec it with R comps for street tires and it's sunny out

personally i could care less about the HP figures. corvette hasn't had a hp problem since 1997. what they have had issues with are the seats, appear to be fixed in the c7 and the clutch and steering response. i hope to god the c7 has better steering feedback than the c5/c6, same with clutch feel.

:iagree: except I've been in a 500hp S2000. More power is better, even more than 500hp in a 2800lbs car. Truth is we want it all, feedback, interior, power to weight, tossability etc

TRAKCAR 04-20-2013 11:32 PM

the C5R made 620

:iagree:

TRAKCAR 04-20-2013 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1583693228)
:iagree: except I've been in a 500hp S2000. More power is better, even more than 500hp in a 2800lbs car. Truth is we want it all, feedback, interior, power to weight, tossability etc

Sure, but it comes with a high entry and running cost price.
It has plenty of power to shame most cars on track, they just need to fix the rest.

CORVETTEZL1001 04-20-2013 11:49 PM

The Z06 is done deal hopefully the ZR1 follows.

gs_M6 05-06-2013 02:18 AM

I would say GM has adopted the, if you build it they will come motto, it's irrelevant that the LS7 made its way into the camaro.

RC000E 05-06-2013 10:49 AM

They used a Porsche as the benchmark for testing in these areas.

I spoke extensively with Jim Mero aboutvthe steering system. As I am sure you know, this new steering is electrically driven, with the electric motor mounted to the rack. Jim Mero has been personally responsible for the steering "feel".

I asked him to compare the feel of c6 to c7 and he said there is no comparison. He said they took c7 to the mountain roads of california and did extensive testing for the steering. With the e-steering, the assist varies. They can influence how the wheel feels when deviating from center, as well as how it returns to center. The ramp rates of assist all needed tuned, the rate of return under differing conditions needed tuned, etc. their aim was to get consistency in feel...reduce effort at low speeds, cater effort at high speeds, etc. Then, the assist varies also based on selected drive mode. Point is...he said tuning the steering has been long and laborious.

Also, Jim does point out that the c7's increase in chassis rigidity has a lot to do with the feel of the new car, but more than anything, the focus on increasing stiffness 500% betweeen the steering wheel and wheel bearing, Jim said, have made a substantial improvement that had him excited.

Dont know if it'll have that immediate responsiveness of my s2000, simply due to the fact its a heavier, wider car, but it should be loads better. Also, did you catch that despite the fact c7 is longer, the turning circle has been reduced by 2ft. Lots of improvements.

Bill17601 05-06-2013 10:54 AM

To the original thread. It is a given, in my opinion, that Corvette will have a higher performing model then the one introduced in January. In fact again in my opinion the Z51 will have a higher horsepower then the Stingray. But it is a wait and see.

Kappa 05-06-2013 11:16 AM

I don't know how guys guys except Cayman, Evora type steering feel in a car with front tires wider than their rear tires and more weight on the nose than either.

That being said, the new 911's steering is nothing to write home about and I think the C7 should be able to match it.