CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Backseat Sportscars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/3257102-backseat-sportscars.html)

JaxEagle 04-20-2013 05:38 PM

Backseat Sportscars

Technically a sportscar has only two seats, at least in my opinion. However, I really like the CTS-V, G8, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and even imports like the Infiniti G Coupe and Lexus IS/ISF. Everytime I consider these cars I think about the mods I would do. Anyway, I get a bit conflicted here. To me, it seems it is either a sportscar and makes sense adding mods or it is not a sportscar and adding mods, particularly performance mods, is kind of like putting a little seat and skinny tires on a beach cruiser and going to the Tour de France.

Can anyone else relate to this feeling? Can anyone offer a school of thought that may enable me to see the logic? I do understand that personal expression is a part of it, but that seems more the aesthetic side than the performance side.

Sorry if this makes no sense...

Silverback51 04-20-2013 05:56 PM

I agree a sportscar only has two seats. What you are discribing are sport coupes, and there are some fine examples out there. A guy at work just bought a Nissan GT-R. Damn nice car, but it's a sports coupe, not a sportscar.

JaxEagle 04-20-2013 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Silverback51 (Post 1583692968)
I agree a sportscar only has two seats. What you are discribing are sport coupes, and there are some fine examples out there. A guy at work just bought a Nissan GT-R. Damn nice car, but it's a sports coupe, not a sportscar.

Yep, lots of names for them, my point is that it just doesn't compute to me. Either it's a sportscar or it's not.

Just my anal logic I think. They are cool cars for sure.

$$$frumnuttin' 04-20-2013 07:33 PM

The way I look at it is, the backseats are tolerable, as long as the car itself has only 2 doors. There are tricks you can play on your car like Ford does with the Boss 302. They offer a rear seat delete option where you get this badass huge stiffener shaped like an X where the rear seat would go.

JaxEagle 04-20-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin' (Post 1583693586)
The way I look at it is, the backseats are tolerable, as long as the car itself has only 2 doors. There are tricks you can play on your car like Ford does with the Boss 302. They offer a rear seat delete option where you get this badass huge stiffener shaped like an X where the rear seat would go.

That's a cool option. I like the new Boss 302 a lot! Although, if I were going to order a 2013 Boss 302 with rear seat delete then I think I'd rather just get a 2011 Z06.

cor66vette 04-20-2013 09:00 PM

Semantics

sports car
n.
An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

sports car
n
(Engineering / Automotive Engineering) a production car designed for speed, high acceleration, and manoeuvrability, having a low body and usually adequate seating for only two persons
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

sports′ car`
n.
a small, high-powered automobile with long, low lines, usu. seating two persons.
[1920–25]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

jdot 04-20-2013 09:10 PM

A "true" sports car is one like mine.

JaxEagle 04-20-2013 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by cor66vette (Post 1583694243)
sports car
n.
An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

sports car
n
(Engineering / Automotive Engineering) a production car designed for speed, high acceleration, and manoeuvrability, having a low body and usually adequate seating for only two persons
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

sports′ car`
n.
a small, high-powered automobile with long, low lines, usu. seating two persons.
[1920–25]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

Lol. Yeah, that's a better way of saying what I meant. I just struggle with trying to make a car with a backseat act like the definition of a sportscar.

Vetteman Jack 04-20-2013 10:19 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with adding mods to those other cars you mentioned. You can still have a lot of fun with cars that carry more than two passengers. :thumbs:

Silverback51 04-20-2013 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by JaxEagle (Post 1583694420)
Lol. Yeah, that's a better way of saying what I meant. I just struggle with trying to make a car with a backseat act like the definition of a sportscar.

The one car that does not really fit the definition is the 911. I consider it a true sportscar, but it does have rear seats. No much in the way of seats, but they are still there.

rob-cyn 04-20-2013 10:36 PM

The CTS-V is a nice car. I would take one in a minute !!

Laser Guided 04-20-2013 10:41 PM

It's about compromises. Think about the gearhead who loves to mod but has a family and can only afford one car. If automakers/aftermarket said "well, it wouldn't be a textbook definition sportcar so screw it", then that guy (and many many others) would be SOL. plus, it also makes sense since there is a waaaaay bigger market for such cars, m3/m5/m6,c_amg,e_amg, cl_amg_, cls_amg, mustang, camaro, challenger, gtr, brz/frs, aston martin, porsche 911 all being examples. And modding them definitely isn't useless, I don't think your beach cruiser analogy is quite accurate...

3318C5 04-21-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1583694877)
Absolutely nothing wrong with adding mods to those other cars you mentioned. You can still have a lot of fun with cars that carry more than two passengers. :thumbs:

:iagree: Randy I got to take you for a ride in one of the other cars...:rock:

JaxEagle 04-21-2013 09:42 PM

Yeah I agree all those cars are cool and I would want to mod them. I guess I just need to get over the quirk that I have. If I could only afford one of each of them. Problem solved!

JerriVette 04-22-2013 08:26 AM

Cts v coupe rocks!

The camaro zL1 and z28 tear @SS too...

911 S latest iteration is sharp but not cheap at 100 large..

Nissan GTR is a bad @SS 2 +2 as well if not the prettiest of cars...

If you have 2 kids and need the ability to carry them in a pinch any of these cars mentioned are awesome choices...

Are they "sports cars"? Probably considered sports GT vehicles instead....

I'd be cool with owning any of them

magicv8 05-09-2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by JaxEagle (Post 1583692847)
Technically a sportscar has only two seats, at least in my opinion. However, I really like the CTS-V, G8, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and even imports .

I also liked the CTS. And after I sold my c2, I bought a CTS Sportwagon. Rear wheel drive and 6 speed tap shift automatic. The CTSV will only come stick, and back pain due to clutch is why I sold my c2. Rides like a corvette, low to the ground, and I have yet to see another Sportwagon on the road.took my wife and daughter to FL in it last month and they loved it too.

Zee0hSix 05-10-2013 09:23 AM

And not all two seat cars are sports cars..........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_c-stripe.JPG

http://www.bigrivercreative.com.au/i...mart_car_1.jpg

Dominic Toretto 05-10-2013 01:18 PM

Just traded my 2001 C5 for a 2012 Mustang GT. I love it. Very sporty car but definitely not a sports car. I am currently modding it as well. Put on a mufflerless exhaust last weekend and is somehow louder than the 5.7L LS1. Just bought some Bullitt wheels for it today. Next up tires and lowering springs.

-Alex

JaxEagle 05-10-2013 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1583864935)
Just traded my 2001 C5 for a 2012 Mustang GT. I love it. Very sporty car but definitely not a sports car. I am currently modding it as well. Put on a mufflerless exhaust last weekend and is somehow louder than the 5.7L LS1. Just bought some Bullitt wheels for it today. Next up tires and lowering springs.

-Alex

That sounds awesome. I like Mustangs also. I'd definitely like to have one in addition to my C5. Enjoy the mods!!!

Dominic Toretto 05-10-2013 02:39 PM

Thanks. It's a great car. Miss the C5 though but next Corvette in a few years may be a Grandsport.

The Challengers look great but, grossly underpowered for the price, don't like how the Camaros look so the Mustang was my choice.

-Alex