CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Cockpit noise and using sound insulator (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3258460-cockpit-noise-and-using-sound-insulator.html)

brady5885 04-22-2013 10:52 PM

Cockpit noise and using sound insulator

I have side pipes with hooker maxflow inserts, i love the sound when you floor it or even give it just a little, so they are staying!

I was wondering when i have my windows up and my t tops on would using some sort of dynamat or fatmat on the floor and doors etc do anything to reduce the cabin noise??

Easy Mike 04-23-2013 09:36 AM

What type of cabin noise? Your car left the factory with sound deadening material sprayed on both sides of the underbody and factory carpets were insulated.

If the noise is wind from poor fitting windows or tops, adding insulation won't help you.

If the noise is from your side pipes, I'm not sure you can do anything about that.

:thumbs:

brady5885 04-24-2013 12:59 AM

Noise from the pipes, in turn vibrating the hell out most surface.

I just want to make it a little quieter, i know its still going to be very audible no matter what i do

Bremquest 04-24-2013 10:38 AM

I used a ceramic based paint under carpet for sound and heat, found on amazon. Second I used my own sound deadner matting found online or at hardware store. Then I used a product called "refelectix" found at Menards which is an aluminum sided bubble wrap pretty much, super cheap but geared more towards heat I'm sure. Use that on doors as well.

That in combination with standard insulation from factory or factory replacement and you'll be sitting pretty!

Make sure you have no cracks in floor and that upper and lower shifter seals aren't bad like mine were...:thumbs:

Manix 04-24-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by brady5885 (Post 1583722152)
Noise from the pipes, in turn vibrating the hell out most surface.

I just want to make it a little quieter, i know its still going to be very audible no matter what i do

I did my 79 a couple of months ago with Rammatt BTX-2 and ensolite from RammAudio, it took the edge off the Magnaflows at cruising speed and almost eliminated road noise from the rear tires. Made it a little easier to carry on a conversation but now the focus is on the window noise.:(

toolman0114 04-24-2013 12:02 PM

The best sound insulator for cock pit noise I found was the roll of socks I shoved in my wife's mouth. LMFAO
:rock:

REELAV8R 04-24-2013 05:03 PM

I was wondering when i have my windows up and my t tops on would using some sort of dynamat or fatmat on the floor and doors etc do anything to reduce the cabin noise??
Yes it will help a lot. I used Fatmat megamat for mine in the doors and on the floor. When the windows are closed with tops on it's much quieter. However like said here you'll notice the wind noise more afterwards.

80Baby 04-24-2013 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by toolman0114 (Post 1583724792)
The best sound insulator for cock pit noise I found was the roll of socks I shoved in my wife's mouth. LMFAO

You rock!!! :rock:

HOOAH 04-25-2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by toolman0114 (Post 1583724792)

I'm assuming your wife is not a forum member :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Terry