CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Corvette Vs Camaro Z28 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3263089-corvette-vs-camaro-z28.html)

Stingray2014 04-30-2013 06:12 PM

Corvette Vs Camaro Z28

I was wondering if someone could set me straight, as I've been a Ford Mustang guy since I was 16. I was always under the impression that Camaros and Mustangs were competitive, and then Corvettes were for the people looking for the next level in both price and performance.

So, now I see that Chevy has a Z28 that has 500hp, built for the track, (probably to compete with the GT-500) and a C7 with ~450hp. I'm 40 now, and to be honest, I really like what I see in the C7, (including the tail lights!) and I am thinking of selling my 2006 500rwhp Mustang, to upgrade to the Corvette. Did Camaro and Corvette swap positions in 2014 in the performance department? If I buy a C7 and then get beat by a stock Z28 on the street, that will really bring some disappointment. Someone help me understand the evolution? Thanks much... It's going to be very interesting to see what the limits of the C7 Engine are, I'm going to want my HP back at some point after my warranty expires...(evil grin)
Thanks,
-Sean Gallagher

Bill17601 04-30-2013 06:15 PM

Sean, it depends on what you want. If you want to be sure your C7 could kick butt WAIT until the high performance C7 comes out in about a year. Actually the Z28 will not be available for some time PLUS they are making so few of them the price will be a lot more hen a C7... In my opinion.

niphilli2 04-30-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray2014 (Post 1583779387)
I was wondering if someone could set me straight, as I've been a Ford Mustang guy since I was 16. I was always under the impression that Camaros and Mustangs were competitive, and then Corvettes were for the people looking for the next level in both price and performance.

So, now I see that Chevy has a Z28 that has 500hp, built for the track, (probably to compete with the GT-500) and a C7 with ~450hp. I'm 40 now, and to be honest, I really like what I see in the C7, (including the tail lights!) and I am thinking of selling my 2006 500rwhp Mustang, to upgrade to the Corvette. Did Camaro and Corvette swap positions in 2014 in the performance department? If I buy a C7 and then get beat by a stock Z28 on the street, that will really bring some disappointment. Someone help me understand the evolution? Thanks much... It's going to be very interesting to see what the limits of the C7 Engine are, I'm going to want my HP back at some point after my warranty expires...(evil grin)
Thanks,
-Sean Gallagher

The short answer is no they did not swap, but these days the general does not seem to mind that other cars in their portfolio boast more HP than their flagship.

When it is all said and done I think the base corvette will have a better power/weight ratio than the Z28 and will outperform it at the track.

You also have to compare apples to apples
Base Camaro = V6 / Upgrade to SS to get the V8 / Upgrade to Z28 to get more cubic inches / upgrade to ZL1 for the blower.

Base corvette = V8, look for at least two higher performance models to come in slotted above.

Today you have Base / Grandsport / Z06 / ZR1

JerriVette 04-30-2013 06:18 PM

Yes ..the head honchos at GM decided the camaro z28 is now the performance leader of the division.

I'd think your 2006 mustang gt would be hard to let go of....

Enjoy

ed1 04-30-2013 06:47 PM

I think the Z28 is the reason we will only see one high performance model corvette this generation.

Stingray - Great performance street and track
Z28 - Stripped car, track focused, barely street legal
Stingray Z** - Best performance street and track (coming 2015 as a 16 model)

Chevy SS - I like performance but I have a wife and two kids and yes I will take the optional sunroof!

That is something for everybody!!!

Add this to a shorter life cycle to the C7 maybe 6-7 years.
***These are just my predictions***

1BADLS3 04-30-2013 06:51 PM

Z28 = a way for GM to use up leftover LS7's.

A stripper Camaro with an LS7 for $65K+ ??? No thanks.

GM Fan 04-30-2013 06:54 PM

The camaro is very heavy, the Z28 is still 3800-3900 lbs I believe. It will be interesting to see some performance tests of both, but I imagine the base C7 will have no trouble out performing the Z28 and ZL1 convincingly. Especially since I'm betting the LT1 C7 will be rated closer to 470 hp cutting the z28's power advantage further.

RJ-92 04-30-2013 07:07 PM

The Z28 is far from an everyman's car. Its a stripped out, stiff riding weekend track toy. The Vetter is a ultra performance GT, where you can cruise in luxory or hammer the track. The Z28 will be far from a cruiser. I personally feel the Vette is the best of all worlds. Price included!

Stingray2014 04-30-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1583779438)
Yes ..the head honchos at GM decided the camaro z28 is now the performance leader of the division.

Enjoy

You bet it will be hard for me, I've poured a lot of time & money into that car. Probably won't get much of it back. It will be a sad day for sure. But I sure like the new technology, looks and all the other things the C7 brings to the table. For those who really want to know motivation (attention GM People!) I went to Bondurant a few times and that really stuck with me, the vettes are just incredible on their track. I also have a buddy with a Z06 that is very impressive.

JockItch 04-30-2013 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by GM Fan (Post 1583779694)
The camaro is very heavy, the Z28 is still 3800-3900 lbs I believe. It will be interesting to see some performance tests of both, but I imagine the base C7 will have no trouble out performing the Z28 and ZL1 convincingly. Especially since I'm betting the LT1 C7 will be rated closer to 470 hp cutting the z28's power advantage further.

While I'm not sure about which car will have the advantage while racing in a straight line, I have a very strong feeling that the Z/28 will best the C7 Z51 on most road courses. Even with the extra weight and lower horsepower to weight ratio, the Z/28 will put up some seriously impressive times for a car it's size.

But with that said, I'll take my nicely appointed C7 (with AC and more than one speaker) anyday. It'll be able to hang, but I'd give the edge to the Z/28.

If you are really looking for the next level, wait for the Z performance version of the C7.

rcallen484 04-30-2013 07:13 PM

The bottom line is to get a Camaro if you want a Camaro and get a Corvette if you want a Corvette. Good things to be said about both. :thumbs:

Stingray2014 04-30-2013 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by RJ-92 (Post 1583779787)
The Z28 is far from an everyman's car. Its a stripped out, stiff riding weekend track toy. The Vetter is a ultra performance GT, where you can cruise in luxory or hammer the track. The Z28 will be far from a cruiser. I personally feel the Vette is the best of all worlds. Price included!

This is what I was hoping... Seems the older I get, that Luxury has a greater appeal to me. :lol:

1BADLS3 04-30-2013 07:29 PM

At the end of the day, the Camaro is still butt-ugly.

JerriVette 04-30-2013 07:36 PM

Check power to weight ratio before anyone honestly declares the z28 the faster better performing vehicle..

The z28 is awesome yet my money's in the corvette z51 slightly edging the z28 ls7 out....

Those 305 wide tires on the z28 probably do make for amazing handling and braking though......

The corvettes are quite a bit smaller but the car weighs in at 500 lbs less?

Should be a dam fine dynamic duo from chevy.

ldepalma 04-30-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1583779438)

Enjoy

This comment is totally inaccurate. The Corvette IS the Halo car of GM and always will be.

Fact 1. Base Camaro is no match to a base Vette C5, C6 or C7. Vette's will win all the time!!

fact 2. While the Z28 is a muscle car and only 500 will be made, so what, it won't top the high end car that will probably be a Z06/ZR1 whatever they decide to call it next model year. GM isn't stupid by releasing both a high output and a base car all in the same year. They didn't do that for the Camaro why do it for the Vette, that would be bad marketing.

Fact 3. Your comparing apples to oranges. The Camaro is a muscle car and the Vette is a sports car. Two entirely different categories.
Further, the OP asked for an honest opinion. Don't feed fairy tales to someone who is asking an opinion on buying a C7.

OnPoint 04-30-2013 07:40 PM

OP - just have to figure out if you want a sports car or pony car. They're two different animals. Each a good time in their own right.

02TTZ06 04-30-2013 08:02 PM

A stripper Camaro with an LS7 for $65K+ ??? No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree... The Vette is a true sports car.

sam90lx 04-30-2013 08:07 PM

The Z-28 will not be a good DD but should be quicker than a C7 around the track imo. Wish I had the extra 55-65k to pick one up!

LT1_E85_Corvette 05-01-2013 10:16 AM

The C7 will out perform the Z28 in every category. It will clock in at about 400lbs lighter, and the LT1 will make close to the same power, and will actually have a better TQ curve. E-LSD equipped corvetts will have a better 0-60 time as well. Tadge already said at the bash (it's on video), that the C7 corvette will be well under 4 seconds 0-60; so I'm thinking 3.5 - 3.7

And don't be worried about running into a Z28 on the street, because it wont be happening. Half of the 500 they make will be bought up by collectors and the other half will be tracked. Even then, the new 2013 GT-500 will out run the Z28 in a strait line. pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the corvette C7 is the best car made in history. And it will only look better once they release final figures. They have one more sales push to help marketing and it's going to be a very strong hp number (475-500). I have been very impressed with Chevy lately on marketing this car. They know what they are doing so put on your boner pants and burn some rubber when this thing comes out, because I will be

Kappa 05-01-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette (Post 1583784691)
Even then, the new 2013 GT-500 will out run the Z28 in a strait line.

That would be relevant if the Z/28 was made for straight line work.

As it sits, I think the Z/28 will outperform the Z51 in track tests. The Trofeo tires are half slicks like the Sport Cups, the ceramic brakes, short gearing, the extremely trick shocks, and heavy aero work will all push it over the edge.

You guys are making a big deal out of the weight but as we've seen with the GT-R and ZL1, engineers know how to make pigs fly these days. The car will be below 2:50 at VIR when driven by GM's drivers.

The C7 will be close and its not going to bash your brains in on the way home.