CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Screw in rear tire (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3264299-screw-in-rear-tire.html)

JLB768 05-02-2013 06:06 PM

Screw in rear tire

Went for a drive today, came home and parked it to check the oil, since the oil temp finally exceeded 175. As I walk behind the car, I notice a perfect silver circle on the left rear. Sure enough, a screw right in the middle of heavy tread. I got my needlenose out, and pulled the screw, hoping it was short, and not thru the tire...Psssssssssss. Oh well, got a plug out of the toolbox, and stopped the leak. 1400 miles on them, guess no high speed driving in it, until a change of tires. If I understand correctly, the speed rating is now toast.

Never-Enough 05-02-2013 06:08 PM

Drive at any speed you want. Plug will hold for a long time if done right. I've driven on plugs for a the remaining life of tires before & never had a problem. I had to plug one 1 of my C6 tires too. Drove fine at all speeds. :willy:

Tonylmiller 05-02-2013 06:12 PM

That is how I would handle it. No sustained high speed driving on that ti re. By high speed I mean over 100 mph.

JLB768 05-02-2013 06:20 PM

I just plugged it myself, it was in the center of the tire, and in the middle of the widest tread. My wife says...Couldn't you have driven around it? Uh, if I could have seen the 1" bastard, with a head the size of a pencil, then yeah :willy:

DigitalWidgets 05-02-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JLB768 (Post 1583798755)
My wife says...Couldn't you have driven around it? Uh, if I could have seen the 1" bastard, with a head the size of a pencil, then yeah :willy:

Yeah, what the heck is wrong with you? I ran over screws on two separate occasion....but at least I was aiming for them! :leaving:

http://www.corvettenews.com/images/Screwed.jpg

wolfdogs 05-02-2013 06:42 PM

fix it right, my friend.........

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...ure_ill_sm.jpg

even then...the speed rating is gone. The tire is what passed the ECE 30/SAE speed rating test prior to production.. a repair has not been certified.

cclive 05-02-2013 07:03 PM

I disagree with Wolfdogs above. I think the plug is fine...even though there is no tire manufacturer that says so. Wolfdogs is a former US Government tire engineer, so there is no reason to think that he would know the best way to repair a tire. The car is not a high performance car and neither is the tire a high performance tire.
The important thing is to do what is easy and fast and may ultimately work well enough. The plug will probably hold air and probably won't damage the tire...which is plenty good enough.
In spite of what every tire manufacturer and our own retired tire engineer say, it will probably be fine to just plug it.:rofl::rofl:

Walt White Coupe 05-02-2013 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1583799097)
I disagree with Wolfdogs above. I think the plug is fine...even though there is no tire manufacturer that says so. Wolfdogs is a former US Government tire engineer, so there is no reason to think that he would know the best way to repair a tire. The car is not a high performance car and neither is the tire a high performance tire.
The important thing is to do what is easy and fast and may ultimately work well enough. The plug will probably hold air and probably won't damage the tire...which is plenty good enough.
In spite of what every tire manufacturer and our own retired tire engineer say, it will probably be fine to just plug it.:rofl::rofl:

I can only assume this a joke response that's not very funny.

FlyerVette 05-02-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1583799097)

Sarcasm noted.......!!

CaryBob 05-02-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Never-Enough (Post 1583798651)
Drive at any speed you want. Plug will hold for a long time if done right. I've driven on plugs for a the remaining life of tires before & never had a problem. I had to plug one 1 of my C6 tires too. Drove fine at all speeds. :willy:

Personally, a hole plugged only on the outside of a tire is not a tire I would trust at high speed. Certainly not at speeds over 100.

If you remove the tire from the wheel and plug it, I would trust it in normal driving but I'd sill be antsy about seriously high speeds at the track.

iclick 05-02-2013 08:22 PM

I've had the same experience. Never a problem with plugs as long as they're installed properly.

cclive 05-02-2013 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1583799176)

I can only assume this a joke response that's not very funny.

Not a joke, sarcasm.:thumbs:

R&L's C6 05-02-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by wolfdogs (Post 1583798939)
fix it right, my friend.........

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...ure_ill_sm.jpg

even then...the speed rating is gone. The tire is what passed the ECE 30/SAE speed rating test prior to production.. a repair has not been certified.

I worked at a Union 76 gas station when I was a youngster and plugged a lot of tires that incorrect way.....:willy::willy:

cclive 05-02-2013 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerVette (Post 1583799218)
Sarcasm noted.......!!

There are people here on the forum who really love the C6. Some spend hours and hours waxing in the garage. Some spend time polishing tailpipes and some even go under the car and clean and inspect the undercarriage. I just can't understand how, in spite of what every entity that knows anything about tires advises, people still plug a tire from the outside and say that it is good enough. It's not. There are 90 year olds who are fine despite smoking all their lives..."never had a problem". Does this mean that smoking is OK? Same thing here. Repairing a tire the wrong way is dangerous and the fact that someone has done it and "never had a problem" doesn't change that fact.
After hearing this line over and over again, the sarcasm leaks out...:thumbs:

obxchartercaptain 05-02-2013 08:52 PM

:iagree:

TerryL 05-02-2013 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by iclick (Post 1583799778)
I've had the same experience. Never a problem with plugs as long as they're installed properly.

Agree but, it all depends on how it was 'plugged' and the type of 'plug' used. Some plugs are just that, a bullet looking rubber plug, some plugs are long skinny strings that have to be soaked in glue and shoved in the hole. Others, and the best in my opinion, based on five successful 'plugs' on the rears of high HP sport bikes, is the short and fat glue impregnated worm that comes in Genuine Innovations tire repair kits. They are found online and are available in lots of outlets. Of course, I wouldn't think of holding the manufacturer liable for running them at speed. I have however, exceeded the speed limits on repaired tires and none of them have ever leaked or caused any drama. I believe that over time and heat cycles (mileage) the plug vulcanizes to the tire. Remember too that you can never tell in advance just how bad the cord has separated due usually to the type of object that punctured the tire. Large or crooked/serrated edged objects tear up the cord much more than a simple nail or small screw. You can fix the air leak but the tire can still be comprised. Even with FS WO RFs,I carry a G.I. repair kit. If I pick up a nail in the middle of Monument Valley or Montana I'd rather try to plug it than be at the mercy of a tire shop that probably doesn't have the tire I need in stock anyway.

Mad*Max 05-02-2013 09:28 PM

:lurk:

Madfence 05-02-2013 09:37 PM

Patch it from the inside done, then get a new one and use the patched one as a back-up because no one stocks them...

michaelinmech 05-02-2013 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1583799969)
I worked at a Union 76 gas station when I was a youngster and plugged a lot of tires that incorrect way.....:willy::willy:

It's OK - you didn't know any better way back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth . . . :cheers:

R&L's C6 05-02-2013 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1583800558)
It's OK - you didn't know any better way back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth . . . :cheers:

Almost, way back in the 70's :willy:

The days of full service...fill it up, check the oil, clean the windows.