CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] 2013 ZR1 question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3264799-2013-zr1-question.html)

SHEPME 05-03-2013 04:16 PM

2013 ZR1 question

Hi, everyone.
I sold my 2008 Z06 and just picked up my new 2013 ZR1.
I have a question for the other ZR1 owners on the forum.
Unfortuatly I still have the same marbles in a can sound in 1st gear when starting out just like I had in the z06. I called Tremrec and was told it's normal, something called rollover.
That's not my question.
When starting out in 1st gear not only do I hear the marbles in a can sound (which I know what it is) and the sucking sound of the supercharger but I also hear a slight high pitched sound almost sounding like a belt is loose but it's not. Does anyone else hear this.
Should I be concerned?
Obviously if I increase the rpm's taking off in 1st I hear none of the above mentioned sounds.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Shepard

OnPoint 05-03-2013 04:35 PM

Congrats on the upgrade to the ZR. You'll love it.

As to your sound, do you only hear it on acceleration? I.e. don't hear it at idle or at steady speed?

If so, then what you're hearing is the supercharger. It has a high pitched sound to it when it comes on-line.

SHEPME 05-03-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1583807219)
Congrats on the upgrade to the ZR. You'll love it.

As to your sound, do you only hear it on acceleration? I.e. don't hear it at idle or at steady speed?

If so, then what you're hearing is the supercharger. It has a high pitched sound to it when it comes on-line.

Hi there and thanks for the quick response. No at idle it is smooth and quiet. It's when I'm at a red light and take off out of 1st gear that I hear any of the sounds that I mentioned including the high pitched sound. I thought it was all normal but I am glad your telling me yours does it as well. So far the zr1 is a much different vehicle than my z06. I am finding it a bit hard to shift smoothly out of 1st. Either I give it to much gas and rpm's which sound like I am reeving the engine or not enough gas which almost feel like it's stalling. I was great in 1st with the zo6 but need some practice on the new one.
Shep

BenDiem 05-03-2013 05:19 PM

^^^ OP, I'm about ready to make the move as well.

I'd love to read your comparo btw the two cars. Specifically, what you like better or worse. Any major differences?

Several tests that I've seen on YouTube, show similar performance test results. For example, I was surprised to see that the 0-60 and the 1/4 mile trap speeds of both cars are very similar, with just a slight edge/advantage to the ZR1. I thought more than a 100 hp increase would provide a larger margin of performance. I just don't get it? Anyone?

OP: GL & enjoy your new ZR1. :thumbs:

Cheers/BB

911/Q45 05-03-2013 05:33 PM

First gear is taller in the ZR1 making coming off idle a bit trickier. Traction is a problem with the ZR1 for the 0-60 times. Big advantage to the ZR1 above 100mph.

vette ruminator 05-04-2013 12:25 AM

I have the high-pitched belt-sounding noise in first in the morning as well. After a warm up and a few more shifts it goes away. Not a problem.

ZR1Cat 05-04-2013 12:54 AM

I've never heard any such sound as you describe and I hope I never do. :confused2:

turbolou 05-04-2013 02:03 AM

I have owned two Z06's & on my second ZR1. What I miss about the Z06 is the low level driveabilty taking off in first seemed A little smoother with less effort. The 427 with its higher compression & cubic inch's just seemed have a bit more torque down low. The engine was also noticeably quieter. I have chalked this up to a small sacrifice price of admission and part of owning a car with 638 H.P. & impressive performance. One other thing I noticed was backing out of the garage after sitting all night the posi diff. seemed to chatter a bit on both the Zr1's but also not concerned about that either. I still remember the old days & what had to be tolerated owning a hi perf. car. I did love the Z06 and for a while questioned my decision to buy. It took a little time to bond with the ZR1 but there is no turning back. Its a great car with very few minor quirks. So enjoy it & stop worrying about the small stuff.

3LZZ06 05-04-2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by turbolou (Post 1583811042)

What I miss about the Z06 is the low level driveabilty taking off in first seemed A little smoother with less effort.

The difference you feel is that the ZR1 has taller gearing.

The 427 with its higher compression & cubic inch's just seemed have a bit more torque down low.

The LS7 may seem to you to have more torque down low but it doesn't. The torque curve of the LS9 is considerably greater at any RPM compared to the LS7.

The engine was also noticeably quieter.

I didn't notice much difference between the two, but the edge would have to go to the LS9 being slightly quieter. (engine noise only) With regards to exhaust sound, my '10 ZR1 is quieter at idle compared to my '08 Z06, but the ZR1 is louder anywhere in the RPM range (including idle) comparing them with the exhaust butterflies open...:eek:

MachAll 2005 05-04-2013 09:28 AM

Info

#PIP4734: Brief Chirp / Squeak Noise On Cold Start - Possible Noise Characteristic - keywords BQMI - (Nov 5, 2009)
Subject: Brief Chirp/Squeak Noise on Cold Start - Possible Noise Characteristic
Models: 2009-2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2009-2010 Chevrolet ZR1 Corvette
with 6.2L Supercharged Engine
(RPOs LS9 or LSA)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of a brief chirp/squeak noise on cold start that sounds like an accessory belt noise.
The noise may last as long as two minutes but may be much shorter when warmer ambient/coolant temperatures are present. Once the vehicle is warmed up, it may not occur again until the next cold start.
Upon inspection, the technician should be able to isolate the noise to the top, rear of the engine and may mistake it for a supercharger, exhaust, or belt noise.
Recommendation/Instructions:
If this exact noise is encountered, it should be considered a normal noise characteristic and no repairs should be attempted.
This noise is radiated off of the exhaust system during cold start operation as spark timing is retarded to help warm up the catalytic converters warm up.
---------------------------------------------

turbolou 05-04-2013 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1583811999)
The difference you feel is that the ZR1 has taller gearing.
If that is the case then it makes sense also.

The LS7 may seem to you to have more torque down low but it doesn't. The torque curve of the LS9 is considerably greater at any RPM compared to the LS7.

Hmm, more cubes & higher compression would matter some down low that is till the LS9 sees some boost.

I didn't notice much difference between the two, but the edge would have to go to the LS9 being slightly quieter. (engine noise only) With regards to exhaust sound, my '10 ZR1 is quieter at idle compared to my '08 Z06, but the ZR1 is louder anywhere in the RPM range (including idle) comparing them with the exhaust butterflies open...:eek:

Both my Z06s were 08'S & at no time did I ever think that they were noisier than either of my ZR's but that like splitting hairs & sort of irreverent to me. Just trying to put a new owner at ease. :thumbs:

3LZZ06 05-04-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by turbolou (Post 1583812357)
Hmm, more cubes & higher compression would matter some down low that is till the LS9 sees some boost.

:nono:...there's a substantial difference from the very beginning of the torque curve.

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/...Torqcurves.jpg

turbolou 05-05-2013 01:28 AM

Thanks for setting me straight on that. Its hard to argue with the facts. According to the graph it doesn't seem that the Z06 is superior anywhere in the power curve comparisons.

greenshark68 05-05-2013 02:23 AM

I hear that same sound ("marbles in a can") in my ZR1 when engaging the clutch in first gear. What is "rollover" in the Tremec transmission?

MachAll 2005 05-05-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1583815979)
:nono:...there's a substantial difference from the very beginning of the torque curve.

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/...Torqcurves.jpg

Guys....remember these power/torque curves are at full throttle.
The larger displacement/higher C.R. LS7 will very likely have significantly higher torque at "just off idle" throttle positions. We've had both the Z06 and ZR1 and I have to say they are both very good executions of their intent meaning each has their own personalities.....the ZR clutch and controls are very smooth and meet all of my expectations while the Z06 is a little rougher and impressive.

SHEPME 05-06-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by greenshark68 (Post 1583817998)
I hear that same sound ("marbles in a can") in my ZR1 when engaging the clutch in first gear. What is "rollover" in the Tremec transmission?

Good morning.
When I test drove my 2008 Z06, five years ago I heard the "Marbles in a can" sound but though I had run over gravel pulling out of the dealership.
Over the next few days each time I was starting out in first gear, especially driving super slow around a parking lot trying to locate a spot, I would always hear only what could be described as marbles rolling around in a tin can. I took the car to the dealer and was told it was normal. I researched it on this forum and others and was told again this was normal and just to give it more gas (rpm's) to avoid hearing it.
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago when I purchased my new 2013 ZR1. I thought that that was a sound just in that car but was disappointed to hear it once again in the new car. I decided to call the company that makes the ZR1 transmissions. I explained the sound and again was told it was normal and that it's something called "Rollover". He explained it to me but I really did not understand what he was talking about other that the fact that is normal. Just something we have to deal with in a high performance car I guess.
You can call them if you would like to hear their definition. The number is 1-800-401.9866

ZR1Cat 05-06-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by SHEPME (Post 1583825969)
decided to call the company that makes the ZR1 transmissions. I explained the sound and again was told it was normal and that it's something called "Rollover". He explained it to me but I really did not understand what he was talking about other that the fact that is normal. Just something we have to deal with in a high performance car I guess.
You can call them if you would like to hear their definition. The number is 1-800-401.9866

Hmm...they say it is normal. But then why do some report the sound and others like me have never heard it in our cars.:skep:

I had a Borg-Warner T6 in my 97 Camaro SS. I had a performance clutch and a billet steel, light-weight, under cut flywheel. The combo seemed to produce a similar sound, but my buds and I determined it was just noisey throw out bearing. It worked fine, but was noisey at idle and until the clutch was depressed. I am not excited to hear that our tranny's are prone to a 'normal' similar noise.

SHEPME 05-06-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat (Post 1583826151)
Hmm...they say it is normal. But then why do some report the sound and others like me have never heard it in our cars.:skep:

I had a Borg-Warner T6 in my 97 Camaro SS. I had a performance clutch and a billet steel, light-weight, under cut flywheel. The combo seemed to produce a similar sound, but my buds and I determined it was just noisey throw out bearing. It worked fine, but was noisey at idle and until the clutch was depressed. I am not excited to hear that our tranny's are prone to a 'normal' similar noise.

Hi, I can only respond to the year models that I had. Both had the same noise.
-Z06 (2008)
-ZR1 (2013)

I Googled gear rollover and found this.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ver-noise.html

I would doubt that if you are not hearing this now then it will not just appear. I guess your one of the lucky ones!
Bye the way my car is super quiet while in idle. The noise is only when releasing the clutch in 1st gear. If I keep the rpm's up to say 1500 and hold it while letting out the clutch -- no noise.

jvp 05-06-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by SHEPME (Post 1583826231)
Bye the way my car is super quiet while in idle. The noise is only when releasing the clutch in 1st gear. If I keep the rpm's up to say 1500 and hold it while letting out the clutch -- no noise.

Does it happen after the car is warmed up, or just when it's cold/cooler? I have the clutch squeak upon slippage, but only when it's colder. After the car and clutch warm up, it stops making that noise.

Someone went through the machinations of having it checked into a year or two ago, and the dealer ultimately replaced his clutch for him. I can't remember the appropriate phrases to search for, but it's here on the forum somewhere.

jas

BEZ06 05-06-2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by SHEPME (Post 1583807064)
When starting out in 1st gear.....I also hear a slight high pitched sound almost sounding like a belt is loose but it's not. Does anyone else hear this.

Shepard

Hi Shepard

Congrats on the new ZR1!!! :steering:

You say "when starting out in 1st..."

Is it when letting out the clutch?? :confused2:

I occasionally hear what I think you're hearing, and I agree with jas in his post above that what you may be hearing is a slight squeal from the clutch.

I've never worried about it and have around 26,000 trouble free miles on my 2009 ZR1 now.

If it's that clutch squeak, I say fagidaboudit!!!:D

Like many of us here, I've had both the Z06 and ZR1, but I'm lucky enough to still have both - I love the slight differences!!!:thumbs:

The Z06 sees a lot of track time, but the ZR1 is just for the street.

Bob :flag: