CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Warning! Possible scammer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3266450-warning-possible-scammer.html)

MAGRED02 05-06-2013 04:15 PM

Warning! Possible scammer

I got an e-mail last week about a car I have for sale. Someone named Monique said a friend of hers was looking for a car but didn't belong to the Forum. I gave her my info and she passed it on to him. He seemed agreeable to the price and talked about flying in and driving the car home. I then got an email back with the following message:

"I spoke with my bank and they shared with me that a clear title was needed and you and the car needed to be here physically to complete the deal. You would have to sign a Power of Attorney document."

He told me he was a minister in Texas. I am thinking it was all BS. Thank goodness I wasn't born yesterday.

FYI

barduch 05-06-2013 04:19 PM

Good to be cautious when one is dealt the "minister card". :leaving: I like your comment, my favorite is, "I was born at night but it wasn't last night".

jlsru 05-06-2013 04:22 PM

I have received some responses similar to that.

My one and only response back to them is "Cash is King-Cash and carry".
I normally don't hear anything back after that.

vig1116 05-06-2013 04:22 PM

even if not a scam, does he really think you would drive to Tx from NY for a possible sale??? Or did i miss something?

42Chevy 05-06-2013 04:26 PM

I agree, sounds like a scam.

RACE U 05-06-2013 04:27 PM

Unknown. I don't know any ministers that drive a Corvette.

ncvette_1FUNRIDE 05-06-2013 04:32 PM

I'd tell them to send me a $500 cash non-refundable deposit as good faith and I would think about it. :lol:

michaelinmech 05-06-2013 04:36 PM

I have had that one or very similar used on me primarily when I advertise on eBay. Sadly some must fall for it or I would think they would have stopped wasting time.

I always conclude with - 'these are the selling terms, applicable to all, including: NO brokers, agents, powers of attorneys, letters of credit, escrow or trades considered or accepted. :thumbs:

vik2606 05-06-2013 04:48 PM

Well usually the bank requires a copy of the title (front and back) to be faxed to them but thats about it. No clue what power of attorney this guy is talking about lol

Jimmy52 05-06-2013 04:49 PM

[QUOTE]

Originally Posted by MAGRED02 (Post 1583829511)
I got an e-mail last week about a car I have for sale. Someone named Monique said a friend of hers was looking for a car but didn't belong to the Forum. I gave her my info and she passed it on to him. He seemed agreeable to the price and talked about flying in and driving the car home. I then got an email back with the following message:

"I spoke with my bank and they shared with me that a clear title was needed and you and the car needed to be here physically to complete the deal. You would have to sign a Power of Attorney document."

He told me he was a minister in Texas. I am thinking it was all BS. Thank goodness I wasn't born yesterday.

yea, just like "the check's in the mail" and so forth, I won't say the rest:D:D

P0234 05-06-2013 05:06 PM

Tell them they took too long to complete the deal, you're shipping the car to a nice fellow in Nigeria, he's upgrading from his Huffy.

PatriotZ 05-06-2013 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by P0234 (Post 1583829957)
Tell them they took too long to complete the deal, you're shipping the car to a nice fellow in Nigeria, he's upgrading from his Huffy.

Ha...excellent...........:flag:

dvilin 05-06-2013 05:16 PM

:yesnod::lol:

Originally Posted by P0234 (Post 1583829957)

Svre46 05-06-2013 05:30 PM

I have sold and purchased cars with liens. The power of Attorney is so that his bank can obtain the title direct form your lien holder. They then no longer need you in the process to sign it over or anything of the sort. The buyer does need a better bank though if they want you to drive all the way there. That's crazy.

Some people are ok with the process some are not and have every right to be cautious. I have only recently dealt with Bank Of America on the selling side since that is my bank of choice when it comes to auto finance. If you have a lien on your car the only way the buyer or his bank are going to get ownership with that Power Of Attorney is to pay off your loan for you so they can get the title. You do not give up the car until you get the difference in cash, check ect.

I recently sold my S4 this way. I had no problem signing a power of Attorney considering he dealt with a Major Credit Union who I spoke to directly and was familiar with. They cut my bank a check for my payoff and myself a check for the difference. When my bank received the check they notified me my loan was paid in full. I took his check and his bank took the title directly from Bank Of America. I never even saw it. He then took possession of the car once remaining funds were clear the next day.

All in all this is not uncommon. Only issue I see is you driving the car there. He needs to get with a major bank. If he can't do that find another buyer.

If you do not have a lien his bank should be made aware of that. POA would not be needed on your end.

Rich Mickol 05-06-2013 05:43 PM

Run Forest Run. :D

brooklync5 05-06-2013 06:30 PM

:Rofl: that's a new one I haven't heard before.

ADIBELC6 05-06-2013 07:35 PM

one minister named Sam Kineson used to drive a Corvette, license plate read EX-REV :D

Fastcat3 05-06-2013 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by rich mickol (Post 1583830284)
run forest run. :d

lol!

barduch 05-06-2013 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ADIBELC6 (Post 1583831150)
one minister named Sam Kineson used to drive a Corvette, license plate read EX-REV :D

Good call. :thumbs: My absolute vote for number one funniest all time best genius comedian of the world, ever! Saw him in person at a comedy club in Palm Springs and did not stop laughing for weeks. Sad that he left life early.

timd38 05-06-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by RACE U (Post 1583829626)
Unknown. I don't know any ministers that drive a Corvette.

Father Guido Sarducci drove a Corvette.