CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Front Splash Guards Grand Sport (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3268338-front-splash-guards-grand-sport.html)

Steve2150 05-09-2013 05:24 PM

Front Splash Guards Grand Sport

Been looking at the Apsis narrow splash guards, heard they are sometimes on sale, wondering if and when next sale.

SSWEET 05-09-2013 08:11 PM

I think the last time was before Christmas

Glen1224 05-09-2013 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Steve2150 (Post 1583858219)
Been looking at the Apsis narrow splash guards, heard they are sometimes on sale, wondering if and when next sale.

I have the original wider Apsis splash guards on mine. Great product. Seems to me, I bought mine on sale around Memorial Day Weekend. A lot of the forum vendors run sales then. HINT HINT (I need some other stuff)

Steve2150 05-09-2013 09:25 PM

How are the RPI front splash guards.

Tracy 05-09-2013 09:38 PM

Don't wait for a sale, cuz it ain't happening anytime soon. Or maybe ever. APSIS is selling these things like hotcakes and has no reason to have a sale, and they're NOT discounting for corvetteforum members, either.

How do I know this? Because I ordered the "standard Z-06 version" (which is the wide version) 10 days ago, spoke with Jersey for quite some time, mentioned getting a corvetteforum discount...and he had a little uncomfortable, embarassed laugh and said "I can't keep these things in stock, so I don't need to reduce my pricing....haha..haha...ahhh...ummm." As a massive capitalist myself, I totally agree with him. Make a good product and they will come! He has NO reason to put these items on sale.

Is it a good product? Yes. The wide versions are basically identical in dimensions and "look" to the rear splashguards that come on a GS. They are 100% black ABS plastic. They fit just fine. Installation is as simple as anyone can imagine. [[SUPER TIP OF THE DAY: The hex-head screw that is under the rocker panel that you must remove and re-use is 7mm. I'm telling you this because a 7mm socket isn't all that common, and I have every tool in the entire universe. Plus some.]]

I'm not a fan of "wings and things" add-ons to my Corvettes. I think most stuff is total crap, and firmly believe that these cars should be unmolested as Chevy intended them to be (think of a modded 63 split-window!!!). But the APSIS splash guards are what Chevrolet should have put on these cars in the first damn place.

When I discovered a chunk of fresh, sticky asphalt from a paving project caught in my friggin' rear brake duct opening, I couldn't make the call to APSIS fast enough. And this was a few months after I got a chip in a sideview mirror. Shoulda known better.....

I don't like "wings and things", but I love these splashguards. Buy 'em.

Bob Yocum 05-09-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Steve2150 (Post 1583860072)

I put the RPI front splash guards on mine and satisfied with them

Hoodscoop 05-09-2013 09:40 PM

I like the GM version.

LSD 2005 05-09-2013 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hoodscoop (Post 1583860222)
I like the GM version.

:iagree:I have the GM version on my Vette:thumbs:

Steve2150 05-09-2013 09:58 PM

I like the GM version.

Too bad GM do not make them for the Grand Sport like they do for the narrow coupe. GM should have them as an option.

MKenM 05-09-2013 09:59 PM

I like the GM version.

Originally Posted by LSD 2005 (Post 1583860298)
:iagree:I have the GM version on my Vette:thumbs:

The GM version only fit the base C6 not the Grand Sport. I installed the RPI version. They went on quick and easy. So far I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Tracy 05-09-2013 11:04 PM

I thought we were talking Grand Sports here, not base cars. So....you guys with base cars....and I ain't knockin' you.....have no idea of the tire size vs. the damage that can be done to mirrors and rear brake vents on the Grand Sport. Sitting Foooking Ducks for road debris.....

And after reading a zillion posts about this issue, the OEM Chebby splash guards do nothing for a GS.

Grand Sport Owners---buy the nice, black ABS plastic APSIS units and be happy for the remainder of your ownership of your car.

N2TU 05-10-2013 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Yocum (Post 1583860187)
I put the RPI front splash guards on mine and satisfied with them

Me too!...and I like them....APSIS prices are way outta line...:crazy2:

plasboy 05-10-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steve2150 (Post 1583860072)

RPI are great for me. Have had them on the car for over 5,000 miles and they look great. Don't seem to be chipping or showing wear any worse than the factory rears.:rock:

Tracy 05-10-2013 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by N2TU (Post 1583862433)
Me too!...and I like them....APSIS prices are way outta line...:crazy2:

Well....APSIS are a bit spendy. Agreed. But I can vouch for the fit and finish and "match" to the rear guard, should somebody be considering spending the money ($345 delivered :eek: :crazy: :crazy2: :ack:).

Cypher 05-10-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tracy (Post 1583860186)
They are 100% black ABS plastic.

Why won’t APSIS (Jersey) confirm on this Forum that his SGs are indeed ABS plastic? I know he reads all these threads pertaining to GS/Z06 front SGs.

I find it extremely odd. :crazy2:

Rich Mickol 05-10-2013 08:56 AM

I installed mine from Apsis last June. It's my understanding they are fiberglass not ABS plastic. I know RPI tried to make ABS last year but it didn't work out.

Apsis did something in the process to prevent the white marks that were left in the original run of guards whenever they picked up a rock chip.

As for fit and finish, they look like they came with the car and are holding up quite well. :thumbs:

Turbo6TA 05-10-2013 09:12 AM

I am still patiently waiting for GM to make an affordable set of front splashguards for the GS / Z06 just like they have available for the base C6.

Cypher 05-10-2013 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol (Post 1583862797)
I installed mine from Apsis last June. It's my understanding they are fiberglass not ABS plastic. I know RPI tried to make ABS last year but it didn't work out.

Apsis did something in the process to prevent the white marks that were left in the original run of guards whenever they picked up a rock chip.

As for fit and finish, they look like they came with the car and are holding up quite well. :thumbs:

Yeah…and here we go AGAIN. :crazy:

Some say they are ABS plastic, some say they are still fiberglass and Jersey remains absent discussion.

Luster 05-10-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1583862890)
I am still patiently waiting for GM to make an affordable set of front splashguards for the GS / Z06 just like they have available for the base C6.

You may be waiting a while, since the last widebody cars were built in February '13. I'm sure GM, being focused on the C7, has little or no interest in further supporting the C6 aftermarket.

That being said... The Apsis guards are well worth the investment. It was my first mod and I have yet to see even one rock chip on my side paint, yet the sacrificial splash guards are peppered with tiny indents. They don't show of course, because the material is solid black all the way through. Great product.

AddisonD 05-10-2013 09:25 AM

Do you buy APsis directly from their website, or do you find them at reseller, vendor businesses?

What are pros and cons of the narrow versus the wide?

How does the width of either APsis guard compare to the width of the RPI offering?

What are the advantages observed for ABS relative to fiberglass, or visa versa?

I suppose the RPI must be fiberglass, since above is a post that says they tried ABS and failed. Right?