CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   MGW Shifter and Shifter Box Review (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3269999-mgw-shifter-and-shifter-box-review.html)

JUST4TODAY 11-16-2013 01:39 PM

I am sold. Can you tell me who to contact?

Zoxxo 11-16-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JUST4TODAY (Post 1585444544)
I am sold. Can you tell me who to contact?

http://www.mgwltd.com/corvette.shtml

You only get them through MGW. Call them if you need to and they will walk you through everything.

Z//

Farmdawg 11-17-2013 08:46 PM

Who all has the lower box. The GM piece looks cheap:rofl:.

98c5ls1 11-20-2013 07:58 AM

I have the complete set up and love it. I didnt have the lower until recently and called mgw. the man that makes the whole thing got on the phone and we discussed issues I was having. He tells me to get the lower box so I did and installed.Shifting issues are gone this unit is awesome. GOOD WORK MGW!

RoadkingC6 11-20-2013 08:14 AM

I installed the MGW shifter before they came out with the new box, can I just buy the new box, will it fit on the shifter I already bought.

ncvette_1FUNRIDE 11-20-2013 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6 (Post 1585475121)
I installed the MGW shifter before they came out with the new box, can I just buy the new box, will it fit on the shifter I already bought.

No. As far as I know, you need the newest MGW shifter to go with the MGW lower box. I was told the older one will not work.

You can confirm this with George @ MGW.com. You find their phone number here. :thumbs:

http://www.mgwltd.com/contact_us.shtml

I had the older shifter as well and i bought the newest shifter and lwer box and sold my older MGW shifter when I was done with the new install.

Zoxxo 11-20-2013 05:37 PM

For sure give George a call. It was my understanding (possibly wrong) that the version of the shifter just prior to the box's release would work with the box. So check to make sure.

Z//

RoadkingC6 11-21-2013 10:05 AM

Thanks all, I e-mailed MGW and they got back to me they looked up my info and I apparently bought the shifter last December, they said the one I have is compatible with the new box:rock:

Zoxxo 11-21-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6 (Post 1585484980)
they said the one I have is compatible with the new box:rock:

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Z//

ncvette_1FUNRIDE 11-21-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zoxxo (Post 1585486554)
That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Z//

For others interested.

I do not think that all of the older MGW shifters are compatible. Best to check with George @ MGW for your specific model.

The OP had recently purchased his so it wasn't an older model. (Bought last December)

Check to be safe before ordering. :thumbs:

Zoxxo 11-21-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE (Post 1585486721)
For others interested.

I do not think that all of the older MGW shifters are compatible.

Definitely not!

Best to check with George @ MGW for your specific model.
Absolutely!

Z//

richietables 03-04-2014 07:22 PM

Just ordered the shifter and box tonight for my '09----:cheers:

D&C vette 03-05-2014 03:42 PM

I just installed the new design shifter box. Love the ability to move the shifter handle closer or farther away, crisp shifts and a tight feel. Installation of the original boot took a little extra patience. Noise and heat control are excellant.

JUST4TODAY 03-20-2014 12:39 PM

Buy one.

I finally bought and installed MGW shifter and lower box. the video at their websight was very helpful. My shifter was really worn, so the results were especially dramatic. Crisp positive shifts. 2nd to 3rd gear shift is amazing.

Dano523 03-20-2014 10:51 PM

Still running the factory box, but the trick I did when I changed over to the MGW shifter was to go through the old box, clean up the bushings/seal in it, polished the throw shaft using the lathe, and made sure to lube the box parts on the heaver side so they stated lubed.

My box/car has low miles on it, and the box/parts where still in great shape. I mention this since if you have some hard miles on the factory box (will be able to tell this when you look at the throw shaft when you pull it apart to clean the parts up/check the tightness of the throw shaft to the bushing, and if it just sloppy, with marring on the shaft, then just replace the lower box.

The downside to the factor box is that you can not replace the bushing or seals in it (at least not easily), and once the bushings/O rings or the shaft get pretty much worn, there is no trying to saving it on the easy side.

richietables 04-01-2014 09:59 PM

Got the new MGW shifter and lower box in my '09 yesterday and put about 100 miles on it... Absolutely awesome! :cheers::cheers:

The effort feels about the same, I like the throw and position, and the shifts click right in and are very secure. No more mush and hope.

As everyone knows, the installation videos they put up an Youtube are simply the best, no BS and no guessing.

Great company, great mod.

Very highly recommended!

Frankie2blue 04-02-2014 11:07 AM

Anyone here drill out the Inside of the OEM shift knob so it can be mounted on the lower hole on the MGW shaft? This would make the shifter about 1/2 inch lower with the stock knob.

timmyZ06 04-02-2014 03:43 PM

Anybody tried to do the anti-venom mod combine with the MGW?

bktmbill 04-03-2014 11:27 AM

anti - venom mod works great with mgw.

Jimmy C-6 04-03-2014 12:36 PM

Why is it I just am now hearing about this anti-venom mod? What does it do? I would like less notchiness in my shifts.