CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Quite impressed (my matte black Vette) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3270240-quite-impressed-my-matte-black-vette.html)

spooneralmighty 05-13-2013 01:43 AM

Quite impressed (my matte black Vette)

Well I got the 01 Vette finished a few weeks ago and I'm quite impressed with the upgrades I did. I'll be honest and didn't expect it to run this well with just a H/C/I upgrade. I was going to supercharge it until I read more about the ms4 cam that came in my car. After quite a few talks with Texas speed they recommended the head set up and all. Always great and knedgeable people to work with although the heads came with a few casting flaws they helped out a little with the mail order tune to make up for it. I will be getting my computer back today because I had to send it back because my car was loading up down low.

Anyway final mods are:
MS4 cam, PRC 227cc heads, arp head studs/crank bolt, FAST 90 ported intake, gm performance 90mm throttle body, Siemens 60lb injectors, cold air intake, OBX long tubes, SLP exhaust, ram clutch, Taylor wires, 75hp Nitrous kit, hurst short throw, lowering kit, 19" staggered wheels, black out lights and a few other things here and there

Before I get bashed on the mail order tune with the aggressive cam and head set up with the big injectors. Plain and simple I ran out of money and wanted to get some miles on the car to see if there were any flaws I had to fix or take care of. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be able to take this thing down to ECS in jersey and get it perfect

Anyway here are some pictures

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74...ps62ee376c.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74...ps53d6d102.jpg

I was actually quite surprised on how much hate I got locally on the matte black. Seems like quite a bit if people say I ruined the car by it not being shiny. But I like it so I guess that's what matters!

01vette360 05-13-2013 01:48 AM

Like it... Still got a shine in the pics...I say black out those front signals and carbon overlay for the vette logo.... If your gonna do it, do it all black!!!

spooneralmighty 05-13-2013 01:53 AM

Thanks the front signal overlays should be here today ��

itzza427 05-13-2013 01:53 AM

Sounds like quite a package there! Not a fan of the matte look either,but not a hater. I figure there is room in the car world for lots of different tastes. I can appreciate different looks and think it looks good,,just not for me. Have fun with your new and improved toy!!:thumbs::thumbs::cheers:

spooneralmighty 05-13-2013 02:00 AM

I've also been tossin around the idea of putting true flame on the front of the car... I can get it done for the cost of paint and a few pizzas.

MotoJB 05-13-2013 02:44 AM

Looks good to me...

RC000E 05-13-2013 03:18 AM

Matte/satin shows off body lines better man.

My c5z is satin white pearl..I get nothin but love....must be the people youre around...lol.

Youre hangin with those boys that like to wax and want you to slap on some cheesy ass GS stripes....aint that right Moto....lol.

bkalkwarf 05-13-2013 08:54 AM

Like the paint, LOVE the go-fast mods

maxx2200 05-13-2013 09:23 AM

Very cool! :thumbs:

PhysicsDude55 05-13-2013 10:06 AM

That is one MEAN looking vette. Looks great IMO.

I know its hard to tell from pictures, but it looks like there is just enough shine to make the paint look clean and not look like its just primer.

spooneralmighty 05-13-2013 10:08 AM

Yup it's actually "hot rod black" which is a matte finish. Semi gloss. Much shiner than flat.

Pfadt Racing 05-13-2013 11:32 AM

Looks good to me!

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/da...rvette_Sig.jpg

Oh 2 Fun 05-13-2013 12:04 PM

Car?? What car??

All I saw was some center caps and corner lights!! :D:D

Pretty mean looking.....glad you are having fun with it. :thumbs:

WvCorvette 05-13-2013 12:56 PM

:thumbs::cool:

madmatt9471 05-13-2013 01:32 PM

Sounds like a nice combo!

I would not even attempt the NOS with the mail order tune - there is NO WAY to tune this in your Vette without it being hooked up to a computer on a Dyno or on the street or at the track!

Enjoy the drive for now but as you stated, once you have the money for the tune and fine details GET IT DONE! ASAP - :yesnod: ECS will tune it in correctly! :smash:

Thanks,Matt

01silvercoupe 05-13-2013 01:39 PM

Looks great from what I can tell. Do you have any larger pictures?

spooneralmighty 05-13-2013 02:14 PM

Agreed I am not going to spray it till its on the dyno. But for now it should have a pretty good street tune. Honestly it's probably going to be a month until I can comfortably spend the 650. And at least now I can drive it the 3 hours to the dyno. And I'll check

big hoss 98C5 05-13-2013 02:15 PM

Looks good!

spooneralmighty 05-13-2013 02:21 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...28061721_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...36438878_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...55865369_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...98870653_o.jpg

bladex10 05-13-2013 02:37 PM

I guess they "ruined" this car aswell.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wekRpCfMbv...+ferrari+1.JPG

I love it.. The C5, has alot of subtle body lines that really show under the Matte finish.

spooneralmighty 05-13-2013 02:50 PM

That Ferrari looks sick!

Zr-1Mike00 05-13-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583885547)

My c5z is satin white pearl..I get nothin but love....must be the people youre around...lol.

Youre hangin with those boys that like to wax and want you to slap on some cheesy ass GS stripes....aint that right Moto....lol.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Just can't let it go can you??..... I think you should just start your own thread... "I HATE GS STRIPES ON A C5"
Then express allllllllllllllll your "cheesy" reasons.

Honestly.... Just sayin'.

BUT to the OP, Your car looks awesome in that Matte Black finish. Sounds like you have a nice setup there too!

Some try to do the all blacked out look, but I think you really pulled it off well. It will look even better with those blackouts you have ordered. :cheers:

RC000E 05-13-2013 06:26 PM

^let it go? Its my new pet peeve...i'm goin on about it constantly now! its like they are handin out coupons for GS stripes at the local doowop meets on here.

New c7 stingray badges comin out soon...better buy you some and put those babies on! Yeah, that my c5 grand sport stingray z06 coupe...its a spec edition...

chris308 05-13-2013 06:43 PM

:rock:

renegad44 05-13-2013 07:16 PM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...98870653_o.jpg

^ That's bad-ass!!!! and you have some fire under the hood to back it up! :thumbs:

But get ready, the haters will move in, you're Matte Black with Black wheels.....:lol:

64drvr 05-13-2013 07:27 PM

Looks pretty sick to me.

Zr-1Mike00 05-13-2013 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583891616)
^let it go? Its my new pet peeve...i'm goin on about it constantly now! its like they are handin out coupons for GS stripes at the local doowop meets on here.

New c7 stingray badges comin out soon...better buy you some and put those babies on! Yeah, that my c5 grand sport stingray z06 coupe...its a spec edition...

:crazy2:

1SC 05-13-2013 08:00 PM

Harley did the matte black on a bike and I hear they sell a ton of them, so plenty of guys like it. I like the look but a car like that HAS to be fast, real fast!

RC000E 05-13-2013 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00 (Post 1583892426)

:cry

DeeHutch 05-13-2013 09:59 PM

Damn good looking ride!

However, THIS is matte black.... :D

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...psb125bf50.jpg

Vetteman Jack 05-14-2013 11:47 AM

I doubt I would ever do a matte finish on my car, but your's came out very nice. Well done. :thumbs:

rob-cyn 05-14-2013 02:14 PM

I like the matte black look myself too. I may plasti dip mine one day for the heck of it :thumbs:

kvac 05-14-2013 02:15 PM

Looks great

DOUG @ ECS 05-14-2013 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Digging the Mat black. :thumbs:

Would look great with one of these too. :lol:

DevilDog II 05-14-2013 07:33 PM

I really like the matte finish, but I was just reading that it's very difficult to maintain if it's paint. :cheers:

RC000E 05-15-2013 01:44 AM

Thats why you wrap...its a no brainer...

MotoJB 05-15-2013 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583885547)

:flaghalfmast:

MotoJB 05-15-2013 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00 (Post 1583892426)

:iagree:

Yes, RC000E - your car is SOOO much better than everyone else's.

;)

PS: I'll be adding some GS stripes to mine soon. JUST FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT!!! Beliebe-dat!

RC000E 05-15-2013 04:06 AM

Thats your words not mine...

I just wish people would try to break the mold a little. GS stripes on non GS cars are the Type R stickers of the corvette world. Its a ricer mod... Same as putting a ZR1 badge on there...

Thats my opinion...dont like it...dont read it.

spooneralmighty 05-15-2013 05:30 AM

Eh was going to charge it but I decided to go with an na setup. I do plan on getting a silverado SS in the next couple years. That is what I will be charging

1bdvet 05-15-2013 07:50 AM

:cool:

Raiku898 05-15-2013 09:33 AM

I dig it. Looks good.

MotoJB 05-15-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583903678)

I just wish people would try to break the mold a little. GS stripes on non GS cars are the Type R stickers of the corvette world. Its a ricer mod... Same as putting a ZR1 badge on there...

Yeah, well you did break the mold with your lovely satin white, blingy lookatme wrap...and perhaps you want everyone to know it by bagging on their choice of mods (GS stripes)? Not everyone has the ability or desire to wrap their entire car, but they can put stripes on.

Who gives a darn if someone puts stripes on a non GS car? I think it looks good - and your comparison is off BTW. No one is putting ZR1 or Z06 stickers/badges on a standard C5. That would be ghey IMO. Personally, I think wrapping an entire damn car is kind-of weird, but whatever. Love the color/look you ended up with but I'd never do that to my car.

"...dont like it...dont read it." :crazy2: The more you post, the more arrogant you sound. As far as your opinion? You're entitled to have an opinion and I'm entitled to disagree. It's an open forum Billy.

Back to the OP here - liking the satin black more and more!

TuneTimePerformance 05-15-2013 01:47 PM

Looks great ... I see more and more of OEM's using the matte finish .

calivette805 05-15-2013 07:12 PM

Please paint those center caps. Besides that looks great

RC000E 05-16-2013 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by MotoJB (Post 1583906048)
You're entitled to have an opinion and I'm entitled to disagree. It's an open forum Billy.

Exactly...and the privelege is mutual, so what are you going on and on about? :crazy2:

MotoJB 05-16-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583912695)
Exactly...and the privelege is mutual, so what are you going on and on about? :crazy2:

"Thats my opinion...dont like it...dont read it. "

I was going on about you coming across as an arrogant ass.

:thumbs:

RC000E 05-16-2013 03:02 PM

I've built cars professionally for 15 years, had two on Speed channel, three at SEMA...it's comes off as arrogance via text, but it's just me holding peoples taste to a standard.

The Corvette aftermarket...sucks...flat out. It's not because it's not a fantastic platform, it's because of the ownership demographics. Nissans, Honda's and now even Camaro's and Mustangs are gaining huge aftermarket support, while Corvettes swim in the sea of mediocrity. Sure...you can list off a few good body mods available (L5's, tigershark stuff, a hood or two), but by comparison to other, very arguably inferior cars with a more financially limited fan base, Corvettes come up WAY short.

The bottom line is, the Corvette aftermarket is driven by dated taste and people who are out of the loop of current styling. Younger people are more trendy, demand new styles and evolution, while older guys revert back to history. Hence why we keep reliving the past with chrome add ons, stingray names, etc.

I simply know the market. My entire childhood, teenage years, then professional life have been modification of cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. I attend shows around the country yearly, follow the markets of many genres closely, etc. I am not arrogant...I just know what I know. I've predicted moves in the market, as proven via several business partnerships I have long standing. Once you observe something for so long, you begin to understand the global picture, and then begin to predict where the market is going. Some people do that in business, on wall street, in real estate...I have done it in cars...for many years....and will continue to.

I intend to bring several new parts for the C5 platform to market shortly. The Corvette demographic is what it is, because social media isn't circulating pictures of modded C5's that aren't littered with cheesy ass mods. The only appeal Corvette has going for it is bang for the buck..in order to attract new blood and young ownership. I hate to say it that way, but sorry...you pull your C5 up to SEMA with some GS stripes and some taillight covers...you'll get laughed out of the place. I agree on "to each his own", but it's the same as wearing a fanny pack around with a tinted visor...you may love the convenience and afforded eye protection, but don't get mad when people laugh....the sh*t's gay...lol.

Not trying to preach...just trying to convey my intent. Text is a poor communication medium...I type 90+wpm...things come out quick and heavy sometimes...lol.

MotoJB 05-16-2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583916529)
I've built cars professionally for 15 years, had two on Speed channel, three at SEMA...it's comes off as arrogance via text, but it's just me holding peoples taste to a standard.

The Corvette aftermarket...sucks...flat out. It's not because it's not a fantastic platform, it's because of the ownership demographics. Nissans, Honda's and now even Camaro's and Mustangs are gaining huge aftermarket support, while Corvettes swim in the sea of mediocrity. Sure...you can list off a few good body mods available (L5's, tigershark stuff, a hood or two), but by comparison to other, very arguably inferior cars with a more financially limited fan base, Corvettes come up WAY short.

The bottom line is, the Corvette aftermarket is driven by dated taste and people who are out of the loop of current styling. Younger people are more trendy, demand new styles and evolution, while older guys revert back to history. Hence why we keep reliving the past with chrome add ons, stingray names, etc.

I simply know the market. My entire childhood, teenage years, then professional life have been modification of cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. I attend shows around the country yearly, follow the markets of many genres closely, etc. I am not arrogant...I just know what I know. I've predicted moves in the market, as proven via several business partnerships I have long standing. Once you observe something for so long, you begin to understand the global picture, and then begin to predict where the market is going. Some people do that in business, on wall street, in real estate...I have done it in cars...for many years....and will continue to.

I intend to bring several new parts for the C5 platform to market shortly. The Corvette demographic is what it is, because social media isn't circulating pictures of modded C5's that aren't littered with cheesy ass mods. The only appeal Corvette has going for it is bang for the buck..in order to attract new blood and young ownership. I hate to say it that way, but sorry...you pull your C5 up to SEMA with some GS stripes and some taillight covers...you'll get laughed out of the place. I agree on "to each his own", but it's the same as wearing a fanny pack around with a tinted visor...you may love the convenience and afforded eye protection, but don't get mad when people laugh....the sh*t's gay...lol.

Not trying to preach...just trying to convey my intent. Text is a poor communication medium...I type 90+wpm...things come out quick and heavy sometimes...lol.

Wow...um, ok. Remember though, very few on this site can say they are a professional car building, SEMA gods. Many have little means or ability to upgrade their vette. Many have different tastes. You kept bagging on some guy's GS stripes, pretty much saying "that sh*t's gay, LOL".

There is a big demographic swing in the vette community...from the stock with chrome spears/louvers and spit-polish crowd to the pure performance crowd (and everything in between). Throwing a set of GS stripes on a C5 doesn't make it ricer, if everything else is all about performance.

I too can be pretty critical - some vettes and mods deserve the old vomit post...

Good luck holding everyone's taste here to your standards. You're going to be bagging on a lot of peoples cars then, I assume. ;)

BTW - my GS stripes just showed up! I'll send you a pic when on the car. :lol:

Looking forward to you saving the market with your soon to be released products. Who knows, I may end up as a customer. :cheers:

Crosis 05-16-2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583903678)

You may have a point IF the stripes were actually exclusive to Corvette Grand Sports. BUT THEY ARE NOT. Pit stripes have been around far longer than the GS. If anything, its a joke to put these race track oriented stripes on a street car like the GS. So you are way the hell off base Sparky.

RC000E 05-16-2013 09:44 PM

"Sparky"..."Billy"...wtf is up you people...you talk like this in person...I doubt it. Your quoting some GS stripe "history" now...haha. They're GS stripes...period....don't over complicate it MARY!

Moto..saying I'm a "GOD" is ridiculous. I've done what I've done...plain and simple....we all have jobs, have careers...that's mine dude, bottom line. When you present cars in a competitive environment, you need to be aware of the market, demographics, positioning, etc....that's what I do.

I also hardly said I'd "save" the market, there are merely openings in the market for damn certain. I'm currently opening a restaurant so my priorities have shifted momentarily, but it's just a capitol builder to support other automotive projects/ventures, as well as support the building my shop is located in. I'll be working on some things and making some products visible in the next 4-6 months....if all goes well.

As it stands now I'm building a car that is slated to go to Targa Newfoundland, then SEMA 2013 for display...so between the restaurant and that...my priorities are there. Trust me though, if you're about function and understand that function then becomes the fashion in the automotive world...my parts won't disappoint.

Calm down people...stop blowing everything out of proportion and making mountains out of mole hills.

JaxEagle 05-16-2013 10:48 PM

I'd go ahead and flame paint that bitch!

MotoJB 05-17-2013 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583919494)
"Sparky"..."Billy"...wtf is up you people...you talk like this in person...I doubt it.

With you, I very likely would.

Moto..saying I'm a "GOD" is ridiculous.

Good catch Billy. You're catching on.

I also hardly said I'd "save" the market, there are merely openings in the market for damn certain. I'm currently opening a restaurant so my priorities have shifted momentarily, but it's just a capitol builder to support other automotive projects/ventures, as well as support the building my shop is located in. I'll be working on some things and making some products visible in the next 4-6 months....if all goes well.

As it stands now I'm building a car that is slated to go to Targa Newfoundland, then SEMA 2013 for display...so between the restaurant and that...my priorities are there. Trust me though, if you're about function and understand that function then becomes the fashion in the automotive world...my parts won't disappoint.

Calm down people...stop blowing everything out of proportion and making mountains out of mole hills.

Mountains out of mole hills? Perfect analogy to describe your ego, is my guess.

:lol:

RC000E 05-17-2013 02:18 AM

Now you gotta type in red...you're not worth my time dude...go cry somewhere else Suzy...

MotoJB 05-17-2013 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583920934)
Now you gotta type in red...you're not worth my time dude...go cry somewhere else Suzy...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/29192636.jpg

RC000E 05-17-2013 02:44 AM

You're such a wannabe, its pretty funny actually. Youre like a little 10yr old...

Crosis 05-17-2013 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1583919494)
"Sparky"..."Billy"...wtf is up you people...you talk like this in person...I doubt it. Your quoting some GS stripe "history" now...haha. They're GS stripes...period....don't over complicate it MARY!

Of course I would talk to you like this in person. Oh and you are basically uneducated. These are called pit stripes not GS stripes and have been around far longer than the GS. Get educated Slapnuts. You are looking stupid here.

DevilDog II 05-17-2013 08:09 AM

Wow! I need a hug. :grouphug: ;)

spooneralmighty 05-18-2013 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by JaxEagle (Post 1583919977)
I'd go ahead and flame paint that bitch!

Yeah I've been continplating it. Thanks for the complements. Being that I'm young and did something outta the traditional way and to still recieve good replys about it means a lot.