CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Rock Chip Already on Hood (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3276042-rock-chip-already-on-hood.html)

Knappyhead 05-22-2013 09:34 PM

Rock Chip Already on Hood

Well that took less than a week. Glad it is small but hate to see it. Will look through the forum and see what some use to protect the hood.

C6Whatever 05-22-2013 10:08 PM

doesn't that suck! I got one not long after I got mine. Made me sick but i had to make up my mind it could stay prefect and sit as a queen or i could enjoy driving it and have a battle wound. :D I haven't tried to touch my up yet but alot of people on here say Dr Chip is good. That is what I will try when i get around to it. Now when I go on road trip I have a GM bra that I put on it but that still doesn't cover the hood. I do not like the clear bra and condom covers:hide: that some people put on their cars but each to their own.

enjoy your ride and be safe
They are made to be driven:thumbs:
Lisa

JLB768 05-22-2013 10:26 PM

When I had my first C6, I was OCD about every little imperfection. I'm now on my 4th, it's only 5 months old, and has two chips on the paint. One is on the rear fender, one on the rocker panel, I now think of them as character marks. It's impossible to keep the paint perfect, the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will not lose sleep...

6893Vette 05-22-2013 10:31 PM

I feel your pain.
You might consider clear bra or a bra that you can put on for long trips.
Enjoy the Vette and try not to let it bother you.
On on my third Vette and have always been OCD about the paint. I put clear bra on my C6 and never give chips another thought. I know I'm not 100 percent covered and that's OK, I did my best to protect it and now just drive it.

Knappyhead 05-22-2013 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JLB768 (Post 1583968730)
When I had my first C6, I was OCD about every little imperfection. I'm now on my 4th, it's only 5 months old, and has two chips on the paint. One is on the rear fender, one on the rocker panel, I now think of them as character marks. It's impossible to keep the paint perfect, the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will not lose sleep...

I am sure I will accept it eventually but for it to happen already is a downer.

JLB768 05-22-2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Knappyhead (Post 1583968787)
I am sure I will accept it eventually but for it to happen already is a downer.

I don't like the fact that my new Vette has a couple chips, but it is what it is. When you wash the car, you will find imperfections, it's just part of it. Mine came from a rain storm, just after a snow, I had no choice but to use the Vette to pick up my daughter. The sand/gravel laid on the road was horrible, I could hear the sand blasting as I was headed to pick her up. I knew before I even got home, that I was going to have a chip or two, it ended up being two, in places only I would notice. Don't sweat it, it's going to happen, I'm on Vette #4, and they all had paint imperfections...

Rich Mickol 05-22-2013 11:01 PM

The first one is always the worst. Now it's really broken in. Don't sweat it too much. Get some touch up paint and give it a shot.

Cyber Greg 05-23-2013 01:22 AM

Dr. Color Chip to correct the chip you have and 3M Venture Shield to protect from future chips.

Torchsport 05-23-2013 01:27 AM

Just know you are probably the only one to even notice it.
I could point out about 10 chips on my car. Two of them on the mirrors!
But everyone keeps telling me how stunning my GS is. :thumbs:

HOXXOH 05-23-2013 02:12 AM

I probably have 50+ road warrior battle scars, but only 1 or 2 visible from 10 feet and none visible at speed. Enjoy the ride and don't fret about the small stuff.

Bigredwing 05-23-2013 06:09 AM

Yep I feel your pain. I just spend the $$ to have an XPEL Ultimate shield insalled and after two weeks I have a .5" cut just below the left fog light. Something hit me that cut right through the shield but the bumper and paint are OK. So the good news is that the clear bra works but now I have the cut to look at for the life of the bra. Like said previously, little chips and dings are things most people will never notice.

Don-Vette 05-23-2013 06:15 AM

Sucks getting the first one,but it's the first of many to come. Drive it and drive it often!!

1bdvet 05-23-2013 07:48 AM

I also have one center of the hood, just have to live with it, used little touch-up paint, but I know it's there, but it's going to happen when you drive the car.

4SUMERZ 05-23-2013 08:22 AM

If you drive your car on trips etc., chips are going to happen. Some owners get clear bra to protect some areas, but I believe it's impossible to protect each and every area that can get a rock chip.

On the highways, it's almost impossible to avoid getting stuck behind semi-trucks that sometime get too close to the shoulders and create a dust and rock storm behind them. :ack:

I got a rock chip on my hood on my first road trip, which deflected on my windshield and left a chip on it.
I have rock chips on my driver and passenger mirror as well.
My fog light lenses were sandblasted, but I replaced those, fixed the rock chips, and the windshield chip, and the road trip continues year after year.

I don't lose any sleep over any of the above. Anyone else would be hard pressed to find the chips, because no one looks at a person's car that close. I get compliments all the time at how nice my car looks, but I doubt if any of those people are car judges for car shows.

Instead of doing car shows and sitting behind my car in a lawn chair, I'm out enjoying the highways, the sunshine and great scenery while sitting on a leather corvette seat. :cheers:

cpmatthew 05-23-2013 08:38 AM

I was washing mine Tuesday and noticed that the bumper and the rear quarter panels (wide body) are chewed up pretty good from rocks and other road debris. I was a little bummed at first, but I can't see it when I stand up, nor from behind the wheel. I'm not going to win any cars shows but I enjoy driving it and give it a regular wash and wax to keep it looking nice. Drive it around for a few days and it will bother you less.

mefly2 05-23-2013 08:52 AM

Ouch!

dvilin 05-23-2013 09:04 AM

Dr.colorchip will do the trick. As for the clearbra save your money, they get damaged, cost money to repair, they are visible, than you worry about maintenance of the clearbra, etc. Like covering your new sofa with plastic.
Just drive your Vette and enjoy it.

Joe B. 05-23-2013 09:12 AM

The hood seems more vulnerable than the bumper for chipping. My hood has two large chips while the bumper just gets little speckles. Bumper flexing, or different paint formulation maybe?

crAzy 05-23-2013 09:21 AM

Meh it happens especially daily driving these cars. I have one chip on the hood too. No one can tell its there unless you are looking for imperfections, but how many people do that besides the owner? Im not trying to enter any car shows so I let it slide.

JPJR 05-23-2013 09:33 AM

Good thread!
Group therapy.

My GS is my daily driver, but I want it be perfect like a garage queen.
Can't have both. It only causes anxiety.

On one of my drives into work last week, I was thinking how I seem to enjoy my drive in a bit more when the car is dirty and it's a less than perfect day out.
I just relax and enjoy the car more.