CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   New GM Offer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3288469-new-gm-offer.html)

AmmoVet 06-13-2013 06:44 PM

New GM Offer

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...103/1148/rss25

GM to Offer Internet Access in most "15 models.

R&L's C6 06-13-2013 06:53 PM

That great, now people can surf the web in addition to texting, talking on their cell phones, eating, and putting on makeup while driving...:crazy:

CaryKen 06-13-2013 08:18 PM

"But it's okay because I'm using hands-free systems..."

NOT!

http://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20...driving-report

speedlink 06-13-2013 08:25 PM

At what cost?

evilmonkey 06-13-2013 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584150082)
That great, now people can surf the web in addition to texting, talking on their cell phones, eating, and putting on makeup while driving...:crazy:

I'd be surprised if you could surf the web while underway...

Seems to me this is a little late in the game since you can already do everything you need from your smartphone anyway.

michaelinmech 06-13-2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584150082)

^ Don't forget, smoking, reading the paper, programming the GPS, polishing the nails and cleaning their hand gun :ack:

hokiebus 06-13-2013 09:09 PM

Wait til somebodys kid gets wraped around a tree. DUMB! :crazy2:

GN1270 06-13-2013 10:05 PM

I guess you all do not own a car made in this century. You will not be able to access it while in motion for liability reasons with your hands for obvious reasons. It will be voice controlled while driving and a tablet while you are not in motion. It will probably be made so that you can send and recieve texts and phone calls with voice activation and of course you will also be able to get internet radio and live traffic updates with your navigation.

rcallen484 06-13-2013 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by evilmonkey (Post 1584150840)
I'd be surprised if you could surf the web while underway...

Seems to me this is a little late in the game since you can already do everything you need from your smartphone anyway.

With a hotspot it is FREE :rock: :rock: :rock: UNLIMITED :rock: :rock: :rock:

michaelinmech 06-13-2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270 (Post 1584151579)
I guess you all do not own a car made in this century. You will not be able to access it while in motion for liability reasons with your hands for obvious reasons. It will be voice controlled while driving and a tablet while you are not in motion. It will probably be made so that you can send and recieve texts and phone calls with voice activation and of course you will also be able to get internet radio and live traffic updates with your navigation.

Steam power rocks !!! And just wait till you see our new communication technology . . . we're calling it 'A Printing Press' :thumbs:

Glenmcp 06-14-2013 07:35 AM

If GM wants to sell cars they will have to keep up with what people want. Those under 30 take all of the tech stuff as normal every day items. It can be unsafe. Then a 185 top end and 0-60 under 4 seconds can be dangerous as well.

WaxWeekly 06-14-2013 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by GN1270 (Post 1584151579)

:iagree:

<sarcasm>
Sometimes, stereotypes are earned... So get off my lawn with all your internet connectivity crap.
</sarcasm>

hokiebus 06-14-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN1270

Its not the century Bro - its plain dumb! Why do u need an internet connection, texting etc. Ur supposed to be driving a sweet machine and enjoying it. What else do you do behind the wheel besides keeping hands at ten & two, constantly scanning the horizon and mirrors, and keeping a safe following distance (trademarks of a safe driver)? Eating a cheeseburger, texting and blasting Lady Gaga are all trademarks of everyone else. Are you looking for technology to assist you, or are you putting it on yourself to modify your habits? I ask you multitasking or safety? While safety may be first in everyone’s minds, it’s typically last on everyone’s to-do list, which is why distractions get people in trouble.

~Stingray 06-14-2013 08:57 PM

Being in cyber security, this is one of the things that scares me the most; completely internet reachable cars.

Since our cars are all electronic now, including the gas and break peddle and now steering wheel, its only a mater of time until we get viruses in our cars. And a short time after that until someone hacks the car and can control it from a laptop.

michaelinmech 06-14-2013 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1584159344)
Being in cyber security, this is one of the things that scares me the most; completely internet reachable cars.

Since our cars are all electronic now, including the gas and break peddle and now steering wheel, its only a mater of time until we get viruses in our cars. And a short time after that until someone hacks the car and can control it from a laptop.

You really didn't say "break peddle" & advise you're in the Cyber Security business both in the same posting did ya . . . . . :eek:

BRCC 06-14-2013 10:47 PM

As you well understand you need a conduit (i.e. two way communications) to access and control a system, one, is not activating On-star, another is pulling the fuse. however the other access method could be some form of WiFi but then you need to be in range. Anyone with knowledge can cripple external communications, be it just shutting it off, spoofing or just some form of ECM. Not really worried at this point in time:cheers:

tuxnharley 06-15-2013 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584151080)
^ Don't forget, smoking, reading the paper, programming the GPS, polishing the nails and cleaning their hand gun :ack:

You forgot the best distraction of all - getting some "oral stimulation"......:D

Michael A 06-15-2013 01:55 AM

I don't see the efficacy of have two internet connections, and service plans, and cost, in one car, one for my phone, and one for the car. I just need my smart phone screen to show up on the dash.

Michael

DanTheFireman 06-15-2013 02:13 AM

I want a Sport-a-potty seat for those long cruises. With a carbon fiber t.p. roll.

Gregory 06-15-2013 02:42 AM

Sorry man, there are already ways to break into the remote access like OnStar. Similarly, Bluetooth is hack-able from fifty-plus feet away.

Now, there are probably going to be options from Apple for iPad like devices to replace the factory radio/navigation systems.