CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Most Significant Feature (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3290136-c7-most-significant-feature.html)

millpond 06-16-2013 10:06 PM

C7 Most Significant Feature

After attending a Father's Day car show in the Napa Valley today (Yountville), and taking my first close look at a Ford GT40... Amazing race quality build, the thing that stood out the most was the similarity in the cooling system. Air entering the front and exiting through a direct large vent in the hood reminded me of the C7. A very good thing for the upcoming Corvette as far as I am concerned, and the most significant change from the C6. Enough reason alone to get a C7. What do you think?

Sin City 06-16-2013 10:24 PM

Honestly, it's the looks and the improved interior. The rest is better but no so much that you just "gotta have it". You can get a new C6 now that goes just about as fast and costs maybe ten's of thousands less at discount.

The only reason you won't is because it looks better and has a better interior.

I personally think the new Direct Injection engine is probably the best new feature. But, it's not so much about outright performance as it is about being efficient. DI is not new to many cars, but it is new to Corvette.

JoesC5 06-16-2013 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by millpond (Post 1584173802)
After attending a Father's Day car show in the Napa Valley today (Yountville), and taking my first close look at a Ford GT40... Amazing race quality build, the thing that stood out the most was the similarity in the cooling system. Air entering the front and exiting through a direct large vent in the hood reminded me of the C7. A very good thing for the upcoming Corvette as far as I am concerned, and the most significant change from the C6. Enough reason alone to get a C7. What do you think?

Ford GT40's are pretty rare but they were the hot ticket back in the sixties, even though they were designed strictly for racing.

Of course the Ford GT40 has a Cd of .39, not quite as good the C5's .29 or the C6's .287 which do not have the hood vents. But better than the 1963 C2 with it's .43 Cd and it's fake hood vents. The hood vents on the GT40 were more about ducting the radiator's cooling air out then it was about aero(but they didn't want to duct it below the car), since the engine compartment was located behind the passenger compartment and the radiator was located in the front of the car.

Jp23rockstar 06-16-2013 10:31 PM

The active rev match feature is pretty cool.

rcallen484 06-16-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1584173947)
Ford GT40's are pretty rare but they were the hot ticket back in the sixties, even though they were designed strictly for racing.

Of course the Ford GT40 has a Cd of .39, not quite as good the C5's .29 or the C6's .287 which do not have the hood vents. The hood vents on the GT40 were more about ducting the radiator's cooling air out then it was about aero(but they didn't want to duct it below the car), since the engine compartment was located behind the passenger compartment and the radiator was located in the front of the car.

Aren't the Cd and the lift factor somewhat different? Wasn't the hood vent included in the C7 to reduce "lift" and it does so by disrupting airflow over the hood thus eliminating the "wing" (lift) effect? And doesn't it do so by venting the air that passed through the radiator thus expelling heated air in the process?

OnPoint 06-16-2013 10:35 PM

It has a V8. . . and that V8 doesn't shut itself off while you're in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left.

rcallen484 06-16-2013 10:37 PM

Stiffer chassis, even though made of aluminum, is a nice feature which will enhance handling in a meaningful way. Add everything up and the C7 truly is a remarkable achievement. :rock: :cheers: :rock:

rcallen484 06-16-2013 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1584174020)
It has a V8. . . and that V8 doesn't shut itself off while you're in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left.

And it runs on all 8 even cruising on flat highway unless the driver chooses "eco" mode!!!

millpond 06-17-2013 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1584174015)
Wasn't the hood vent included in the C7 to reduce "lift" and it does so by disrupting airflow over the hood thus eliminating the "wing" (lift) effect? And doesn't it do so by venting the air that passed through the radiator thus expelling heated air in the process?

It does. Seems like an elegant way to both reduce lift and cool the radiator.

lt4obsesses 06-17-2013 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1584174037)
Stiffer chassis, even though made of aluminum, is a nice feature which will enhance handling in a meaningful way. Add everything up and the C7 truly is a remarkable achievement. :rock: :cheers: :rock:

I agree with the frame being the single biggest feature. I think the idea of adding mass where most beneficial, and lightening it where mass is not needed, as opposed to rails of one thickness will see a very nimble yet sturdy car. I just think this is a great foundation which will enhance every other feature it brings to the table.

SCM_Crash 06-17-2013 02:36 AM

The improved interior. It IS the deciding factor in selling my C5.

redzone 06-17-2013 03:06 AM

3rd gen MSRC & PTM gets my vote.......

jdhommert 06-17-2013 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1584174925)

I'll agree with him. :)

george vee 06-17-2013 07:34 AM

New technology, lets not forget the C6 technology is at least 8 years old.

2K14C7 06-17-2013 07:43 AM

Configurable dash display and driver mode settings are pretty high tech. The interior upgrade is very nice and a big improvement.

Meir David 06-17-2013 07:52 AM

hai dude

The best significant is

It has a lightweight body and frame that makes the car stiffer, faster and better ....

-CM- 06-17-2013 08:18 AM

Lime Rock Green!

Seriously though, it's tough to pick one feature as being the most significant because there are so many cool things about the C7. But if I have to pick just one, I'll go with the driver mode selection system. Even though we haven't seen all of its functionality, it looks like it is going to be pretty cool.

FloydSummerOf68 06-17-2013 08:32 AM

Technology and interior. Performance and looks aren't a deciding factor for me because the C6 GS already has that in spades.

I'm selling my C6 because the interior and tech are soooooooo dated. I'm going to be moving into a CTS-V Coupe until the C7 fever dies down and discounts start flying around.

JerriVette 06-17-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1584174925)

I agree and would and its the cars ability to communicate with each of these systems along with NPP to alter the driving experience depending on the various settings etc...and conditions...

That ability to alter its purpose and refine the driving experience will make the many years of ownership the most enjoyable.

Add in the stunning good looks and the super car leading performance capability and you ve got what many would again consider a world class sports car.

JMO

Mechanic 06-17-2013 09:55 AM

The C7's most significant feature? This is easy: Value for money. You get all the features and equipment previous mentioned for half the cost of anything remotely comparable.