CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Is a c7 a good match for me? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3291976-is-a-c7-a-good-match-for-me.html)

ieem 06-19-2013 10:02 PM

Is a c7 a good match for me?

Hello,
I am new to the corvette world, but I am an avid car enthusiast,and am very seriously considering a stingray corvette(c7) . I am a college student and was advised by my friends that an automatic would make things simpler, but for some reason I just want to get the manual.You might not believe me, but I chose the manual transmission because it will make my life miserable when commuting. I want my car to have personality. I believe that a manual transmission optioned car serves this purpose. I think that putting an auto on a vette is like "castrating" the car. I think that in the future, I would like the car more because of this misery.English is not my first language, so sorry if there are any mistakes.
Thanks

evilmonkey 06-19-2013 10:10 PM

A C7 is not a good match for you.

ieem 06-19-2013 10:12 PM

Thank you for your input

Zymurgy 06-19-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by evilmonkey (Post 1584199751)
A C7 is not a good match for you.

Why?

ieem 06-19-2013 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1584199809)
Why?

That's his opinion. I assumed that he would give reasons, but oh well :)
Good car, though.

evilmonkey 06-19-2013 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1584199809)
Why?

Did you read the post? The title asks if a c7 is right for him, and then rambles on about how he wants a manual to make his commute miserable, and likens an auto trans to a castrated car.... makes sense to you huh?

The real question could be lost in the translation but I doubt it...

ieem 06-19-2013 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by evilmonkey (Post 1584199934)
Did you read the post? The title asks if a c7 is right for him, and then rambles on about how he wants a manual to make his commute miserable, and likens an auto trans to a castrated car.... makes sense to you huh?

Thank you. I might have been somewhat melodramatic by my comparison. By miserable, I mean engaging. Its like being nostalgic towards taking care of children, sure they are annoying, but from this "misery" comes satisfaction. I hope I made sense this time :)
Sorry if I came out as being pompous or arrogant, I'm really not.

Stingray23 06-19-2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by evilmonkey (Post 1584199934)

You must drive an automatic.

OP, The C7 is perfect for you. Automatic cars are boring, especially during traffic and long distances.

JerriVette 06-19-2013 10:41 PM

Welcome and good luck deciding what options suit you best.

I'll assume your translation to English is off.

I believe what your trying to say is that you are looking for an engaging and involvement that a manual 7 speed rev matching can offer you.

Good luck

ieem 06-19-2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 1584200012)

OP, The C7 is perfect for you. Automatic cars are boring, especially during traffic and long distances.

Thanks. What does OP mean again ?? :)

Stingray23 06-19-2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by ieem (Post 1584200031)
Thanks. What does OP mean again ?? :)

OP means original poster, meaning you.

ieem 06-19-2013 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 1584200048)
OP means original poster, meaning you.

w\Were you sarcastic by any means when you referred to stop-and-go traffic? Manuals are "said" to be cumbersome in such circumstances.
Thanks again !

zhopper05 06-19-2013 10:48 PM

I'll chime in!

My first Vette was 1984 C4 which I bought in 1985. My cousin in Houston owned one and I loved the car, and when I had the opportunity to purchase one, I did. I was a college student at Texas A&M. As I recall, at the time, there were only five C4 vettes in the Bryan/College Station area, so the car got too much attention. I used to get asked out constantly. Girls would leave notes with phone numbers on othe window, etc.. At first it was fun with all the attention, but soon after, it started to get somewhat annoying.

My point - owning a new generation Vette will put you in a somewhat similar situation I was in. Too much attention may not always mean a good thing. Now you go decide if the C7 is a good match for you.

evilmonkey 06-19-2013 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 1584200012)

My current C6 is an auto and my C7 order is a manual, though I'm not sure how one could conclude the C7 is perfect for someone because they prefer manual to auto.

evilmonkey 06-19-2013 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ieem (Post 1584199981)
Thank you. I might have been somewhat melodramatic by my comparison. By miserable, I mean engaging. Its like being nostalgic towards taking care of children, sure they are annoying, but from this "misery" comes satisfaction. I hope I made sense this time :)
Sorry if I came out as being pompous or arrogant, I'm really not.

engage makes more sense and I agree. my current c6 is an auto and I'm bored with it so i'm ordering my c7 with a manual.

ieem 06-19-2013 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584200079)
My first Vette was 1984 C4 which I bought in 1985. My cousin in Houston owned one and I loved the car, and when I had the opportunity to purchase one, I did. I was a college student at Texas A&M. As I recall, at the time, there were only five C4 vettes in the Bryan/College Station area, so the car got too much attention. I used to get asked out constantly. Girls would leave notes with phone numbers on othe window, etc.. At first it was fun with all the attention, but soon after, it started to get somewhat annoying.

My point - owning a new generation Vette will put you in a somewhat similar situation I was in. Too much attention may not always mean a good thing. Now you go decide if the C7 is a good match for you.

To be frank, I am not a social person. Honestly, I am a nerd, so being asked out is not an issue. I chose this car because I am attracted to it :)
I appreciate low weight, high output cars. I could similarly have chosen a porsche ... but I want a car that wont drive itself, so to say. I like the non-intrusive simplicity of american cars.

Stingray23 06-19-2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ieem (Post 1584200057)
w\Were you sarcastic by any means when you referred to stop-and-go traffic? Manuals are "said" to be cumbersome in such circumstances.
Thanks again !

I was not being sarcastic. I like driving a manual in traffic because it keeps me involved and on my toes. An automatic to me is boring. period.

Originally Posted by evilmonkey (Post 1584200084)
My current C6 is an auto and my C7 order is a manual, though I'm not sure how one could conclude the C7 is perfect for someone because they prefer manual to auto.

Hence why you said what you said. The Corvette has never been a smooth all around performer. What I mean by that is that its not a BMW or other luxury car. Its way more engaging and has personality from the loud exhaust to the click of the tranny to the shaking of the engine at rest. I love that about the vette. The OP is looking for a more engaging experience. The manual will help with that.

ieem 06-19-2013 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 1584200172)
I was not being sarcastic. I like driving a manual in traffic because it keeps me involved and on my toes. An automatic to me is boring. period.

Hence why you said what you said. The Corvette has never been a smooth all around performer. What I mean by that is that its not a BMW. Its way more engaging and has personality from the loud exhaust to the click of the tranny to the shaking of the engine at rest. I love that about the vette. The OP is looking for a more engaging experience. The manual will help with that.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear/read !!!

Sin City 06-19-2013 11:43 PM

Actually this is not a bad question. I face the same issue, aside from the fact that I haven't been in college for the past 40+ years. :)

I'm choosing the manual over the auto because I don't like auto slush boxes. I like the DCT or robotic clutch boxes but not cars with torque converters. And, I do believe that manual boxes have more personality than slush boxes.

Yes, a manual is a pain in stop and go traffic. But, it makes up for it when there isn't traffic.

Manual for me.

ieem 06-20-2013 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584200479)
Actually this is not a bad question. I face the same issue, aside from the fact that I haven't been in college for the past 40+ years. :)

I'm choosing the manual over the auto because I don't like auto slush boxes. I like the DCT or robotic clutch boxes but not cars with torque converters. And, I do believe that manual boxes have more personality than slush boxes.

Yes, a manual is a pain in stop and go traffic. But, it makes up for it when there isn't traffic.

Manual for me.

I wanted to see what corvette enthusiasts think. I believe a dog box transmission is probably going to be the best of both worlds, but its too "grindy" and loud.Sure, its a "true" clutch-less manual, but No Thanks :)
Thanks