CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] "Ideas for Sticky Thread LS7 Valve Guide/Valve and Head issues" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3292123-ideas-for-sticky-thread-ls7-valve-guide-valve-and-head-issues.html)

FrankTank 06-20-2013 09:05 AM

"Ideas for Sticky Thread LS7 Valve Guide/Valve and Head issues"

Some of you in the last week have seen me comment how I am fed up with the same topic dominating the forum week after week, the same rhetoric over and over and over and over. I actually received quite a few PM's from other members that feel the same way and would really like to see things move on.

I have been speaking with a couple moderators about putting a sticky thread up for those that would like to, and are interested in continuing debating the topic to their hearts content...a sort of Valve Guide/LS7 head Master thread.

The thread would also be for New Potential Z06 owners who've heard all the noise about the issues, and want to start researching and read both sides, or whatever sides there are to the issue.

I would like to get some ideas from all of you what links to threads and what information should start the sticky out or be included.

I would also like suggestions on what the actual title of the thread should be

For example, a few ideas I had around linking threads would be, of course the most recent testing done by Katech, link that thread or cut/paste Jason's posts and results.

Another idea is linking any thread from a reputable shop or vendor that has commented on the issue like Charlie at RPM, Vengance, ESC, LG...all I think have either started a thread or commented somewhere about the issue and their experience. We could also include the thread about those who have switched over to SS valves, and the other thread that was tracking Guide Wear results.

I am hoping this will minimize the 3-4 new threads every week we get, I would ask moderators to merge any new thread started that talks about LS7 head issues, opinions on what to upgrade too.... or the like, Valve guide wear discovered etc etc..

This would not be an attempt at saying you can't post up a separate thread if you blow an engine...although if someone wanted to post they blew an engine in the sticky, and it was a dropped valve confirmed, that could certainly be included if the member wanted to post it there.

I'll do my best to compile information, or ask the moderators to look at this thread to see your feeback. I'd just like to end the clutter of threads, and stop having this topic dominate the forum, and for those who want to keep at it , this sticky would be your place to continue discussion if you desire.

Thanks and sorry for the long post :thumbs:

pewter99 06-20-2013 09:33 AM

thanks for undertaking what promises to be a difficult task....let me know when you are ready :cheers:

Mark2009 06-20-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584201968)
I'd just like to end the clutter of threads, and stop having this topic dominate the forum [...]

What you are effectively doing is ending free speech. Of course, since this is a private forum there really is no right of free speech. Still, your goal of burying this issue does not sit well with the free and easy flow of information that forums such as this are theoretically intended to promote.

It would be pretty much zero difficulty to set up a technical sub forum for technical threads. For some reason that suggestion has fallen on deaf ears, including your own.

<<427_V8>> 06-20-2013 09:51 AM

Have to agree - subforum would seem to be the easiest option and still leave room for as much discussion as anyone can stand.

FrankTank 06-20-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mark200X (Post 1584202265)
What you are effectively doing is ending free speech. Of course, since this is a private forum there really is no right of free speech. Still, your goal of burying this issue does not sit well with the free and easy flow of information that forums such as this are theoretically intended to promote.

It would be pretty much zero difficulty to set up a technical sub forum for technical threads. For some reason that suggestion has fallen on deaf ears, including your own.

I expected this type of response from you. Ending Free speech? Burying the issue? You need your head checked. All I am suggesting in a sense is the very same thing you mentioned ...and that is create a Master Thread (or sub forum as you put it)

And hey, if the Moderators want to set up a complete Sub Forum, I am all for that too.

Get a grip Mark seriously

Edit: and please point/or find a quote that the suggestion to create a sub forum has fallen on "deaf ears" including my own.

FrankTank 06-20-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1584202165)
thanks for undertaking what promises to be a difficult task....let me know when you are ready :cheers:

:thumbs: :cheers: thanks for being open to the idea.

you can already see that even the suggestion to do this created an arrogant response from one person

Rock36 06-20-2013 10:24 AM

I think incorporating all the valve guide measurements owners have posted could fit into this. There is a thread where a lot of that info is already archived.

FrankTank 06-20-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rock36 (Post 1584202652)
I think incorporating all the valve guide measurements owners have posted could fit into this. There is a thread where a lot of that info is already archived.

Great idea, and that was one of the threads I would want to include :thumbs:

Thanks

04_Z06_CE 06-20-2013 10:41 AM

I got an idea tank , why don't you just ignore the threads? You know just skip over them. You say you hate the threads but you're in all of them with the most posts. You trying to **** people up is not gonna happen.

pewter99 06-20-2013 10:53 AM

seriously? :rolleyes:
you missed the entire point....and how many forums do you really want? Do you have any idea how much it takes to deal with the forum sections we have????

pewter99 06-20-2013 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE (Post 1584202791)
I got an idea tank , why don't you just ignore the threads? You know just skip over them. You say you hate the threads but you're in all of them with the most posts. You trying to **** people up is not gonna happen.

another person who misses the point....

what is the problem with compiling all the info in ONE location as opposed to having 100 threads?

please explain to me why this is a bad idea?

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-20-2013 11:24 AM

A mammoth endeavor Frank, but I'm at your disposal should you need my help.

Michael_D 06-20-2013 11:26 AM

Ideally, this master valve thread would contain relevant technical information without the drama and rhetoric, so that a reader with low to average IC Engine theory understanding would be able to make informed decisions. I do not believe that will happen though, not here, not on this forum.

I enjoy reading and discussing technical points, but I do not have the time, patience or inclination to enter into mud slinging debates with folks who have already made up their mind, and couldn't care less about theory or design. So...by combining all these valve related threads, you would have one master thread with about 5% of it's content that would provide a reader relevant information, and 95% dramatic BS.

FrankTank 06-20-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584203166)
A mammoth endeavor Frank, but I'm at your disposal should you need my help.

Thanks! It's interesting to see some of the negative responses to even a suggestion of just compiling the information. Just proves the point that some folks are here just to promote negativity and enjoy just arguing for the sake of argument, and are here just to stir the pot.

Mark2009 06-20-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1584202907)

what is the problem with compiling all the info in ONE location as opposed to having 100 threads?

The point is clear -- bury the issue in a huge 20,000 post combined thread, information retrieval and discussion will become more difficult, and it will die or at least stop generating much traffic.

Mark2009 06-20-2013 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1584202893)
seriously? :rolleyes:
you missed the entire point....and how many forums do you really want? Do you have any idea how much it takes to deal with the forum sections we have????

If the workload is that onerous then may I suggest these three for consolidation so that the C6 Z06 can have just one tech forum?
C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous

C6 Scan & Tune

C6 Tech/Performance
I suggest "LS7 Tech/Performance" :rock:

<<427_V8>> 06-20-2013 11:39 AM

It's just too big of a task for someone or a small group of people to be able to select accurate and unbiased information to combine into some master thread in any reasonable time frame. I really think it would just be easiest and most useful to do the sub-forum so that those who don't want to see the valve guide posts don't have to see them anymore. For those that do - then they can search all they want on the specific valve guide sub-forum. Now that doesn't mean that overtime there couldn't be a master thread with that things are added to as some sort of aggregate to help sift through the BS a bit quicker, but having the information still in it's original thread and context is beneficial.

FSTFRC 06-20-2013 11:48 AM

Disagree free speech will be in the sticky

jedblanks 06-20-2013 11:52 AM

IMO it is substantially more difficult to search for information within a thread than to search within the forum.

Therefore I am against the merging.

If you feel the need to co-locate the threads, then make a sub forum, not a sticky. Name it "LS7 valve/guide discussion"

That way information will be easier to find, not harder. Also easier to move threads than merge.

Bill Dearborn 06-20-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1584202907)

Just take a look at the sticky on the Service Active Handling issue and how hard it is to find something. Especially finding useful information and that is a well documented subject with data provided by GM not somebody who said they heard GM said this or that.

Since I don't know of any way to search for individual posts there is no way to narrow down the information to something useful. The numerous threads tend to reduce the problem to a great extent. Combining them all together effectively turns them into a non referenced resource with mulitple thousands of posts. Sort of like lawyers in a law suit dumping tons of files on opposing counsel during discovery to make it almost impossible to find anything.

I really don't see that many threads on the issue since comparitively speaking there are hundreds of other threads within the Z06 forum, the other C6 forums and then the Autocrossing and Roadracing forum.

As somebody else mentioned if you don't want to see the information pass over it just like you would pass over a sticky.

Bill