CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] 40k Maintenance? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3292860-40k-maintenance.html)

JohnnyBoy83 06-21-2013 02:32 PM

40k Maintenance?

Just wondering what maintenance is needed at 40K miles? Besides oil change lol

Mark2009 06-21-2013 04:29 PM

All fluids (except clutch & windshield washer).

Clutch fluid (Ranger method, at least what is in the reservoir)

Cabin air filter.

Engine air filter (maybe).

Sway bar end links (grease).

Brake pads/rotors (inspect).

Wiggle test.

Rear spindle nuts (verify tight).

That should keep you busy for the weekend ;)

mariofromnewyork 06-21-2013 05:10 PM

What year is the Car?

JohnnyBoy83 06-21-2013 07:01 PM

Thanks Mark.

It's a 2009 Z.

Mark2009 06-21-2013 07:38 PM

To get to the cabin air filter, on the pass. side of the firewall in the engine bay, I think I had to remove a line to the oil tank. It has a slip/clip fitting, no big deal, but it was still a bear to slide that filter in there. My old filter had leaves and crap in it.

Rear axle nuts, I just gave mine a twist by hand while tires were being changed. Not too high tech but they seemed tight and that was that. It may be cars earlier than 2009 that had this issue.

Power steering fluid, a quickie oil change place can probably do that (they have a machine). If you track your car you might want to bring your own (better) fluid, if they'll let you do that.

Tranny and diff fluid and coolant you can do yourself. You'll only be able to get about two-thirds of the coolant out with a simple drain procedure, but that's close enuf for the marginally motivated (like me).

Brake fluid you might as well do yourself unless you can find a GM tech that knows how to do it with the Tech II (bleeds the ABS unit too). Each caliper has two bleeders, so enjoy :ack:

AzDave47 06-21-2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mark200X (Post 1584215562)
To get to the cabin air filter, on the pass. side of the firewall in the engine bay, I think I had to remove a line to the oil tank. It has a slip/clip fitting, no big deal, but it was still a bear to slide that filter in there. My old filter had leaves and crap in it.

Rear axle nuts, I just gave mine a twist by hand while tires were being changed. Not too high tech but they seemed tight and that was that. It may be cars earlier than 2009 that had this issue.

Power steering fluid, a quickie oil change place can probably do that (they have a machine). If you track your car you might want to bring your own (better) fluid, if they'll let you do that.

Tranny and diff fluid and coolant you can do yourself. You'll only be able to get about two-thirds of the coolant out with a simple drain procedure, but that's close enuf for the marginally motivated (like me).

I think you meant to grease the Zirc fittings on the rear toe links. I agree. The OM calls for greasing these before each track event. sway bar links don't have greasable fittings.

Brake fluid you might as well do yourself unless you can find a GM tech that knows how to do it with the Tech II (bleeds the ABS unit too). Each caliper has two bleeders, so enjoy :ack:

My 09 had loose axle nuts. The new torque is 160 lb-ft. GM recommends a new nut and red Locktight (#272?) although my retorque of the old nut has held . If it loosens up I will replace it and red Locktight it.

mariofromnewyork 06-21-2013 08:39 PM

No need to remove anything to replace the cabin air filter, just pull the cover.

I would replace all fluids as your coming up on the 5 year mark.

Mark is spot on.

Mark2009 06-21-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1584215858)
My 09 had loose axle nuts. [...]

Thank you for that verification, Dave :thumbs:

I was going from memory, which is sometimes foggy and often dangerous ;)

JohnnyBoy83 06-22-2013 08:56 PM

Thanks Mark and the everyone else. I like to do my own work, but didn't know exactly where to start.

Another question. Off topic, but since you guys are highly knowledgable. When I accelerate my Z getting on the freeway or at a quick rate, I smell rubber burning. Seems to be coming from the engine bay. I was thinking maybe the fan belt. Any ideas?

Are they hard to replace? Or can they maitnanced? i.e. oiled.