CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   10 Awesome Things about the 2014 Corvette Stingray (New C&D Article) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3303652-10-awesome-things-about-the-2014-corvette-stingray-new-c-and-d-article.html)

Z0Sick6 07-11-2013 02:50 PM

10 Awesome Things about the 2014 Corvette Stingray (New C&D Article)

Good read below. I didn't know a bunch of those things!

Enjoy!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/10-awes...ntent=Netvibes

1) The C7 marks the first use of a “shape memory alloy wire” in a production vehicle.

To save weight (approximately 1.1 pounds) and reduce complexity, the new Corvette uses a smart material wire to operate a cabin vent in the cargo area that required a motorized actuator on previous models. Triggered by the opening of the hatch, heat generated by an electrical current similar to that of a interior courtesy lamp is used to contract a wire, thereby moving a lever that opens the vent, letting air escape to reduce cabin pressure and make shutting the lid easier. Once the hatch is closed, the current cuts off, the wire returns to its original shape, and a return spring closes the vent to maintain cabin temperature.

GM has earned 247 patents for smart materials such as this over five years of research and development, and it figures there are approximately 200 motorized systems in the typical vehicle that could be replaced with smart materials. Typically made of copper-aluminum-nickel or nickel-titanium, smart materials can change their shape, strength, and/or stiffness when acted upon by heat, stress, a magnetic field, or voltage, and return to their original shape when the trigger is deactivated.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 VIR

2) The C7 is the first-ever production Corvette with a rear weight bias.

Although Chevrolet claims a straight-up 50/50 weight distribution, our scales demonstrated a rearward weight bias, with 49.4 percent sitting over the front axle and 50.6 to the rear. And, yes, we’re aware the C6.R competition Corvette also tipped the scales to the stern; we’re talking strictly production models.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) Rear Suspension

3) The C7′s eLSD (electronic limited-slip differential) goes from open to full lock in tenths of a second.

Dubbed eLSD in GM speak, the suggestively named diff comes standard with the Z51 Performance Package, and employs a hydraulically actuated clutch that infinitely varies the amount of engagement, going from open to full lock in tenths of a second. Fully integrated with the stability-control and Performance Traction Management systems, the system controls the differential according to an algorithm that factors in vehicle speed, steering input, and throttle position.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) Brake Rotor and Caliper Chassis

4) Corvettes equipped with an automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package get functional vents and rear-mounted transmission and differential heat exchangers.

Multiple heat exchangers are a given in this segment. What’s notable about the C7′s are their rear mounting positions, which moves weight rearward and eliminates some of the plumbing (and likely shaves some pounds) in comparison to the C6 pieces. The vent on the driver’s side rear fender directs air over the transmission heat exchanger, while the corresponding vent on the other side directs air over the eLSD cooler. Both exhale the air through aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and outlets in the lower rear fascia.

5) A NASA-developed insulation called Aerogel is used on the transmission tunnel.

Many owners concur that the center tunnel in the C6 can get toasty, and with the C7 now locating the exhaust in an even tighter space, the potential to exacerbate the problem is very real. To combat this, Chevrolet is using insulation made from Aerogel, a material developed by NASA for use in space suits. Considered for years to be the lightest solid material in existence, Aerogel is 99.8 percent air (thereby replacing the liquid portion of a gel with a gas), yet it insulates 39 times better than the best fiberglass. The C7’s tunnel has a 10-mm (0.4-inch) layer of an automotive grade version of the stuff applied to its sides, and another 5 mm (0.2 inch) on top. Hip, style-conscious owners may want to wear vintage space-suit pants whenever possible.

Comparison Test: 2013 SRT Viper GTS vs. 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
Official Photos and Info: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray / Z51
Instrumented Test: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible

6) $50K was the price target from the beginning.

From day one, Chevrolet was eyeing $50K for the C7’s base price. Targets change, but considering the amount of tech (including new seats!) packed into the C7, drawing the final line at $51,995—just $1400 more than the 2013 C6—is more than impressive. It no doubt required some sharp pencils and tough decisions, but it’s difficult to tell where pennies were pinched. Bravo.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7)

7. It’s the 30-mpg supercar.

You may have missed the recent news that the C7 earned an official EPA highway estimate of 29 mpg, and that it will actually return 30 mpg on the highway cycle with Eco mode selected, which enables the small-block V-8′s cylinder-deactivation system. GM claims direct injection, active fuel management, variable valve timing, and an advanced combustion process all help achieve this efficiency. It helps that the Corvette team put in serious work, too: The engine alone underwent more than 10 million hours of computational analysis, including more than 6 million hours on the combustion system.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) Brake Rotor and Caliper

8. No more cross-drilled rotors.

Equipped with Brembo brakes, the C7 ditches cross-drilled rotors for new discs vented by means of shallow grooves. Race teams were reporting cracking issues with the drilled units, while the new setup also maintains the benefit of better brake feel versus solid rotors, as the gasses don’t push back against the pads.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP

9. It wears some pretty special shoes.

Partner Michelin was selected as the OEM supplier for C7 rubber after a tire-company shootout, and it worked directly with the Corvette team for 36 months to create tires for the base car and the Z51 package. Michelin characterizes the resultant Pilot Super Sport ZP footwear as a cross between two of its best models, the PS2 and the PS Cup. The rubber is also among the world’s first street meat to be engineered using the exact same computer models used to create tires for Le Mans and ALSM racers, and incorporates many of the same rubber mixes in its construction.

10. The tires feature asymmetrical sidewalls.

Michelin has employed asymmetrical sidewalls since the first ZR1 run-flat radials, and this technology continues in C7. The inside walls of the tires are 3 mm (0.12 inch) thicker and molded with a stiffer construction to optimize comfort and cornering adhesion characteristics. The new Michelin radials also have 150 different constituents in their tread compounds.

empirecovers 07-11-2013 03:27 PM

Thanks for sharing this!

I've always had an eye for the Corvette Stingrays. The shape just really screams American Muscle! The 10 points that were touched in this article really highlight the body. I'd like to see what is on the inside. When thinking about the Stingray, I think old school hot rods. I can't wait to see the new school technology inside of the car to make it really stand out!

Kappa 07-11-2013 03:34 PM

Although Chevrolet claims a straight-up 50/50 weight distribution, our scales demonstrated a rearward weight bias, with 49.4 percent sitting over the front axle and 50.6 to the rear.
So they've already tested it...hmm...:toetap:

Z0Sick6 07-11-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kappa (Post 1584382751)
So they've already tested it...hmm...:toetap:

Yes all mag data will be out in next months issue. They signed agreements not to release till a specified date.

Kappa 07-11-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6 (Post 1584382765)
Yes all mag data will be out in next months issue. They signed agreements not to release till a specified date.

I figured GM would embargo that info. Oh well, just have to be patient. :D

usroute66 MKW 07-11-2013 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6 (Post 1584382765)

At any given moment, auto writers have scores of vehicles tested and ready to publish as soon as each one's embargo is lifted - test , evaluate and write it up on the plane flight to the next press intro - that's their business- no hanging around every make's buff boards stressing about minutiae.
It's just a job and these are ultimately just " products " to them , whether wine,cars, watches, furniture, macrame needles, etc

:D

harlold 07-11-2013 04:05 PM

Hope everyone enjoys skip-shift to attain #7... Worst "feature" ever in a performance car, ever.

TTRotary 07-11-2013 04:09 PM

Good tech stuff, but I just have to laugh at this:

Both exhale the air through aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and outlets in the lower rear fascia.

I wasn't aware the F22 had tail lamps or dripping mascara vents. Why don't they just tell the truth: Ed Wellburn has a crush on Avril Lavigne and wants everyone to be reminded of her every time they see a C7 go by. Either way, it just looks silly.

Big Dan 427 07-11-2013 04:17 PM

Very nice post OP.

I question #7 though, the word "supercar" that is.

live2drive 07-11-2013 04:21 PM

Good article and thanks for the link. I am looking forward to the magazine test drives and reviews. :thumbs:

Mike Mercury 07-11-2013 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584383071)
Very nice post OP.

:iagree:

Partner Michelin was selected as the OEM supplier for C7 rubber
ANYONE (other than Goodyear) :thumbs:

69L79 07-11-2013 04:29 PM

Good find, OP. :thumbs: This generation will bring Vette fans some great things. :yesnod: Now, the wait for the usual suspects. :toetap:

CPhelps 07-11-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by harlold (Post 1584382955)
Hope everyone enjoys skip-shift to attain #7... Worst "feature" ever in a performance car, ever.

If you drive it like a performance car it will never activate.

jimmyb 07-11-2013 04:46 PM

Please.
I've owned 4 corvettes with CAGS, driven them over 13 years combined, and can remember 3 times that CAGS reared it's head....in 13 years! You truly have to drive the car like a GREAT GRANDMOTHER to have a CAGS intrusion.

Jimmy

jimmyb 07-11-2013 04:50 PM

Very nice post OP.

Well, of course you would.

What, pray tell, is YOUR definition of a "supercar", especially since we have the new "hypercar" moniker to take care of the 918/LaFerrari/P1/Veyron/Aventadors of the world.

Jimmy

speedlink 07-11-2013 05:07 PM

Skip shift is not a problem. Just accelerate to 25mph. then you can shift all you want. CAGS really never intrudes, unless you are afraid to drive the car. And it's only when shifting from 1st gear.

Don't understand the concern.

BlueOx 07-11-2013 05:08 PM

Very nice post OP.

Well, you've been whining about all this GM stuff and now you have it from the supposedly 'independent' C&D's mouth so deal with it. :thumbs:

ChucksZ06 07-11-2013 05:16 PM

Thanks for the list. You can see lots of little areas that add wt to the car. Moving coolers to the rear necessitates longer lines that contain addition fluids...small things add up. I bet the electro locking diff weighs more also.

BlueOx 07-11-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06 (Post 1584383553)
Thanks for the list. You can see lots of little areas that add wt to the car. Moving coolers to the rear necessitates longer lines that contain addition fluids...small things add up. I bet the electro locking diff weighs more also.

No, that is exactly why they did move them to the back where the tranny and diff are located. The coolers are actually further back to reduce the length of the lines.

Big Dan 427 07-11-2013 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1584383344)
Well, of course you would.

What, pray tell, is YOUR definition of a "supercar", especially since we have the new "hypercar" moniker to take car of the 918/LaFerrari/P1/Veyron/Aventadors of the world.

Jimmy

Come on Jimmy are you kidding me? Do you really think the C7 can be categorized as a supercar? I'll answer your question, a low production super high performance exclusive auto. The C7 absolutely does not fit supercar criteria, about the only Vette that I would say does is a ZR1. Even the C7 lovers would agree with this.

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584383491)
Well, you've been whining about all this GM stuff and now you have it from the supposedly 'independent' C&D's mouth so deal with it. :thumbs:

It's funny how you and Jimmy did not mention my "very nice post OP" comment. Oh well, no problem.:cheers: