CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   What Does Straight Pipes Mean??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3304602-what-does-straight-pipes-mean.html)

Delta26 07-13-2013 12:12 PM

What Does Straight Pipes Mean???

I'm buying a Vette with "custom Ecklers straight pipe exhaust." It has two exhaust tips on each side in the rear. Does this mean it has two separate pipes from the engine on each side? No mufflers? It sounds great!

I realize this is probably something anyone should know but I'm not a wrench turner - just a Corvette lover. Thanks.

jesse10886 07-13-2013 01:00 PM

Straight pipes is supposed to mean from the manifolds or headers all te way back to the tips no mufflers no catalytic converters. More recently people have been callin straight pipes the same as just removing the cats. It usually having straight pipes both sides of the engine have their own piping all the way back no y pipe or x pipe connecting the left and right

Scottd 07-13-2013 02:39 PM

As Jesse said, it could mean either no cat, or no mufflers. Be sure 1) its legal in your state 2) that the appropriate followup work was performed. (Maybe a bigger carb, exhaust headers, etc. If someone just threw straight exhaust on a stock motor Id suspect the previous owner was either ignorant of engine tuning or may have cut several corners elsewhere)

Delta26 07-13-2013 03:03 PM

The car passed NY state inspection in April - if that tells you anything.

oldalaskaman 07-13-2013 03:08 PM

you answered it in your question

74 LS4-454 07-13-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Delta26 (Post 1584396728)
I'm buying a Vette with "custom Ecklers straight pipe exhaust." It has two exhaust tips on each side in the rear. Does this mean it has two separate pipes from the engine on each side? No mufflers? It sounds great!

I realize this is probably something anyone should know but I'm not a wrench turner - just a Corvette lover. Thanks.

Not to be a smart a**, but bring a blanket or sheet to put on the ground and look under the car, if you don't have access to a lift. You can then see what exactly is going on there, from the front to the rear, and it will help you understand better what exhaust is really on the car. It is also my suggestion to have the Vette checked out by your mechanic before you buy to make sure everything is operating as it should be, even though its past inspection, it also needs to pass your inspection with a qualified person, since you are not a "wrench turner"
Lots of luck and what year is the Vette?

Scottd 07-13-2013 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Delta26 (Post 1584397773)
The car passed NY state inspection in April - if that tells you anything.

It tells me that the owner knew the guy who inspected the car. Anything post 79 has to have cats here in NY. (You didnt mention what year it was)

Honestly, you are a self admitted newbie. I HIGHLY suggest you put out a net call here and ask for someone to come look the car over with you. Corvettes have some very peculiar problems. Im a car guy, but I didnt know squat about vettes when I bought mine and Ive been dealing with little problems since. I wish I had had a Corvette expert with me....

Hey, if the car is still in NY, (Im in central NY), lemme know.

Delta26 07-14-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Scottd (Post 1584400600)
It tells me that the owner knew the guy who inspected the car. Anything post 79 has to have cats here in NY. (You didnt mention what year it was)

Honestly, you are a self admitted newbie. I HIGHLY suggest you put out a net call here and ask for someone to come look the car over with you. Corvettes have some very peculiar problems. Im a car guy, but I didnt know squat about vettes when I bought mine and Ive been dealing with little problems since. I wish I had had a Corvette expert with me....

Hey, if the car is still in NY, (Im in central NY), lemme know.

1981. Take a look at the car in the C3 for sale postings (page 2). There's a video also. It's the thread that says 1981/NY Crate engine. I'd like to know what you think. There's also a restoraion thread by the seller.

Thanks

Ironcross 07-14-2013 09:17 AM

Straight threw in the world of engine exhaust means no restrictions and/or mufflers ........ancient term probably since the beginning of cars or automobiles or even motorcycles......:thumbs:

cor66vette 07-14-2013 05:57 PM

Sorry, guy. The car's been sold.

Delta26 07-14-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cor66vette (Post 1584406096)
Sorry, guy. The car's been sold.

I know, I bought it.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest.

cor66vette 07-14-2013 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Delta26 (Post 1584406234)
I know, I bought it.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest.

I didn't know. :hide: Best of luck with it. :thumbs:

Delta26 07-14-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by cor66vette (Post 1584406248)
I didn't know. :hide: Best of luck with it. :thumbs:

Thanks, it's due in Panama City Beach on Wednesday. To say I'm excited is an understatement. My first Vette since my '69 was sold in 1978.

Scottd 07-14-2013 06:32 PM

I dont know Florida DMV laws, but here in NY that car would need cats to pass inspection. The PO must have known somebody, and you may have to grease a palm or two to get yours inspected. (Im by no means putting you or the PO down, I rip ALL the emissions controls out of all my hot rods and ask around until someone will work with me.) All in all I think you have a nice car. Now go drive the snot out of it!

Delta26 07-14-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scottd (Post 1584406349)
I dont know Florida DMV laws, but here in NY that car would need cats to pass inspection. The PO must have known somebody, and you may have to grease a palm or two to get yours inspected. (Im by no means putting you or the PO down, I rip ALL the emissions controls out of all my hot rods and ask around until someone will work with me.) All in all I think you have a nice car. Now go drive the snot out of it!

Florida did away with inspections years and years ago. At 69 years old I didn't want some 190 horsepower automatic. Can't wait for the first car show and ride by the high C vette guys with the pipes rumbling. Of course, those old coggers will probably complain that it's too loud!

oldalaskaman 07-14-2013 10:24 PM

there are no vette's that are to loud...ever

ChaosPhoenixFix 07-15-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman (Post 1584408354)
there are no vette's that are to loud...ever

This.

However Command tends to get on my back when I rev the engine on base. However the new Capt seems to like it, lol :cool: