CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Stolen zo6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3309081-stolen-zo6.html)

torchredmadness 07-21-2013 09:55 PM

Do you think you might be the only person we know that leaves their keys in thier unattended Corvette? I hope so. It still sucks that it happened. But come on. I hope all turns out well for you. Good luck.

92GA 07-21-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by MacTacular (Post 1584466353)
unfortunately insurance WILL NOT cover a stolen vehicle if the keys are left in it...no matter what insurance company or what state you're in..

I was going to say the same thing. I had a customized van stolen about 30 years ago, and the police and insurance co was asking me the same thing. At least when they found it, it had the column busted. good thing for me, as my wife couldn't find her set of keys. She did find them many months later though.

Gsmooth33 07-21-2013 10:08 PM

So sorry for this incident but really you left your keys in the car :willy:
Maybe because I grew up in NY but I would NEVER leave my keys in the car

Vetteman Jack 07-21-2013 10:43 PM

Sucks that you had this happen to you. From the pics, that's some pretty extensive damage to the front end. Good luck dealing with the insurance company and hope the idiots that did this to your car get a lot of jail time.

striper 07-21-2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gsmooth33 (Post 1584467444)

I have to agree with you on that. I also grew up in New York, Brooklyn to be specific. I guess it becomes second nature but I never leave my keys in my car anytime , anywhere, no matter how short a time I'll be out of it. I live in a rural area and I don't do that even in my own driveway. Just an unconcious thing I do. I hope everything works out for the OP but you did leave your keys, so you will have to assume some responsibility.

kdii02 07-22-2013 12:12 AM

I know Windzy personally, I gotta say guys I love this forum but after reading some of these posts, no matter what the circumstances were today, keys in it or not nobody deserves to have some freaking drug addicted clown take their car!!!! Let's show some more support here rather then blame the guy for leaving the keys in it and upset him more by talking about whether or not the insurance company will cover the car or try and rip him off. You know all of us have left the keys in a car at one time or another in our own lives!!! We're all here because we love Corvettes and today one of our members suffered a tragic loss. Fortunately nobody got hurt here. Let's help him get past this and be able to once again enjoy Corvette when all the dust settles...

Kyle

olbear1962 07-22-2013 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by kdii02 (Post 1584468252)
I know Windzy personally, I gotta say guys I love this forum but after reading some of these posts, no matter what the circumstances were today, keys in it or not nobody deserves to have some freaking drug addicted clown take their car!!!! Let's show some more support here rather then blame the guy for leaving the keys in it and upset him more by talking about whether or not the insurance company will cover the car or try and rip him off. You know all of us have left the keys in a car at one time or another in our own lives!!! We're all here because we love Corvettes and today one of our members suffered a tragic loss. Fortunately nobody got hurt here. Let's help him get past this and be able to once again enjoy Corvette when all the dust settles...

Kyle

:iagree: Well said.

To the OP, good luck with your difficult situation.
Hope you receive positive a resolution.

jdot 07-22-2013 12:18 AM

Good luck with everything buddy. That's terrible. I remember how I felt when DW totaled her Subaru back in '08. Even now I shudder when I think about what might have happened. She didn't have a scratch but the car was history. We can always replace our cars so good luck getting a new Vette!!

red03vette 07-22-2013 12:30 AM

OP, after seeing those pics I feel so so sorry for you, and for the loss of your beautiful Corvette! Absolutely shocking! :eek::eek: and I am hoping for a speedy and satisfying resolution for you! Good luck to you sir!

damilleniumboy 07-22-2013 12:52 AM

Wow!, that is pretty f'ed up man! I hope the law treats them the way they treated your car.

VETJAZZ 07-22-2013 12:56 AM

This is so sad, but there is a moral to the story. Good luck with all you're be going through. Hope everything works out in your favor.

FourG63 97GST 07-22-2013 01:12 AM

That make no sense, What if they car was in his driveway. and his junkie nephew took the key from the kitchen counter and did the same thing. based on that "negligent" theory, they shouldn't cover that either.

SilverBullet95 07-22-2013 02:42 AM

Quote from wikianswers: I've heard of some carriers attempting to include language in their policies for this sort of thing, where coverage is excluded if the vehicle is left running and/or the keys are left in it. So far, I haven't seen such an exclusion stand up in court, but I could be wrong.

The idea behind this is that your insurance covers standard risks that we all face. One of those risks, of course, is having our cars stolen, which is covered under comprehensive coverage.

Now, if you leave your car running with the keys in it, and it's stolen, an insurance company might say you've increased the risk of the vehicle being stolen exponentially, and therefore the coverage wouldn't apply. They could also argue that you didn't mitigate your damages, or try to avoid a loss.

The problem, of course, is that you pay your carrier for a coverage, and denying that coverage is very, very difficult. Courts generally find in favor of the policyholder, not the insurance company. And, of course, your carrier may say you are partially liable for such a loss, but when you get right down to it, the person who's really liable is the actual car thief.

If you're facing a problem with your carrier regarding this, you might want to seriously consider approaching the division of insurance for your state, who would have any case law that applies. They can also "light a fire" with your carrier to handle the claim.

Choreo 07-22-2013 03:33 AM

So I guess Police cars are not covered if they are stolen? All the local PD leave their cars running all the time with the keys in - even when they are in restaurants. As I understand they have to keep the alternator running or the batteries drain with all the communications equipment and electronics? Maybe they are self-insured by the City?

I could see where it would trigger an investigation, but if the car was proven to be "stolen", I would think it would be covered?

Sorry this happened - sad reminder to the rest of us!

Phanni 07-22-2013 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Choreo (Post 1584468727)
So I guess Police cars are not covered if they are stolen? All the local PD leave their cars running all the time with the keys in - even when they are in restaurants. As I understand they have to keep the alternator running or the batteries drain with all the communications equipment and electronics? Maybe they are self-insured by the City?

I could see where it would trigger an investigation, but if the car was proven to be "stolen", I would think it would be covered?

Police cars are rarely insured for such things. Cities usually accept a risk factor loss.

oldschoolvette 07-22-2013 07:00 AM

:sadangel:

That sux, sorry for your loss.

I have dealt with insurance people before and good luck with that.

Keep us posted

leadfoot4 07-22-2013 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gsmooth33 (Post 1584467444)

Bingo!!!

pewter99 07-22-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBullet95 (Post 1584468667)
Quote from wikianswers: I've heard of some carriers attempting to include language in their policies for this sort of thing, where coverage is excluded if the vehicle is left running and/or the keys are left in it. So far, I haven't seen such an exclusion stand up in court, but I could be wrong.

The idea behind this is that your insurance covers standard risks that we all face. One of those risks, of course, is having our cars stolen, which is covered under comprehensive coverage.

Now, if you leave your car running with the keys in it, and it's stolen, an insurance company might say you've increased the risk of the vehicle being stolen exponentially, and therefore the coverage wouldn't apply. They could also argue that you didn't mitigate your damages, or try to avoid a loss.

The problem, of course, is that you pay your carrier for a coverage, and denying that coverage is very, very difficult. Courts generally find in favor of the policyholder, not the insurance company. And, of course, your carrier may say you are partially liable for such a loss, but when you get right down to it, the person who's really liable is the actual car thief.

If you're facing a problem with your carrier regarding this, you might want to seriously consider approaching the division of insurance for your state, who would have any case law that applies. They can also "light a fire" with your carrier to handle the claim.

Originally Posted by Choreo (Post 1584468727)

Originally Posted by Phanni (Post 1584468920)
Police cars are rarely insured for such things. Cities usually accept a risk factor loss.

LEO vehicles are supposed to be locked when left running...in some cases they are K9 vehicles so the AC must stay running if the dog is inside..

theblackvette 07-22-2013 07:47 AM

Numero Uno: Sorry to hear that the corvette was STOLEN and trashed.

Dos: Thank goodness this was not a carjacking and we are not reading a thread about a fellow forum member that ended up with a bullet in his skull. In the end it is just a car and can be replaced. Plain and simple.

Now we are in the recovery of loss phase. You are most definitely going to have to deal with some issues here. Especially with the disclosure that you left the keys in the car. Many insurance companies will cite not using normal precautions and will move to deny the claim. This is a fact. HOWEVER, it can just as easily be paid out. You won't know until they start reviewing it.

Something like this is going to be tied up for awhile. It will be shot up the the special investigations unit office and they will be asking you all sorts of questions. The truth will set you free. Do not lie. That will kill everything. They will want to know how many sets of keys you have, where are they, and may dig up your financial history on the car. If it starts to get real ugly you are going to want a professional to provide assistance and help. It all depends on your coverage and how your contract reads. Hopefully, there is nothing clear cut about leaving keys in the car that would force a denial in the claim. In the end, you are better off telling it like it is and not making up any trash that will end up being rebuked by the insurance and police and you will look real bad and will be out $$$$ for the car.

Good luck and keep us posted. This is going to be an interesting story on how this gets played out.

:thumbs:

donald4972 07-22-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by windzy (Post 1584463190)
My 03 zo6 was just stolen in PA. Chester county downingtown/coatesville area. It's red with a few engine mods. Please keep your eyes open thanks.

If the scoundrel is caught, off with his head!!!