CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Why is rev matching an on/off situation (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3312423-why-is-rev-matching-an-on-off-situation.html)

blksw4n 07-26-2013 07:46 PM

Because in a sense, rev match is cheating. True racers can heel toe and get the engine a and throttle to do exactly what rev match does. You Tube Aryton Senna NSX to see what I'm talking about.

rothchilds 07-26-2013 08:05 PM

Why is rev matching an on/off situation

Why wouldn't you want it on all the time?

bimmerborn 07-26-2013 08:14 PM

- Some prefer to be in control and toe-hill
- Default is off
- Competitors do not have it on all the time
- There is an on-going thread right now with all the details

ZeeOSix 07-26-2013 08:14 PM

Some guys like jerky shifts ???

-CM- 07-26-2013 09:11 PM

Yeah, and what's the deal with electric starter motors? Because in a sense, not using a hand crank is cheating.

Sin City 07-26-2013 09:12 PM

It's a gimmick I think. And, it's been done before.

DREAMERAK 07-26-2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by -CM- (Post 1584512596)
Yeah, and what's the deal with electric starter motors? Because in a sense, not using a hand crank is cheating.

and lets not forget electric windows,..... totally cheating....:lol:

RC000E 07-26-2013 10:54 PM

I heal-toe with the best of them out there, but being able to focus the ball of your foot without swinging my heel would still allow greater brake control near the limit. I heal-toe daily, street or track...have done so everyday, every downshift for 15+yrs...and I'll still use that feature on the track. If its as good as thy say, youd be foolish not to.

SCM_Crash 07-26-2013 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by blksw4n (Post 1584512165)
Because in a sense, rev match is cheating. True racers can heel toe and get the engine a and throttle to do exactly what rev match does. You Tube Aryton Senna NSX to see what I'm talking about.

I disagree that it's cheating. If that was the case, DCTs would be cheating too.

I honestly don't feel that assistance from a transmission is any more cheating than PTM or any other assistance to the car. Rev-matching only helps you get into gear faster and smoother. It's not doing THAT much more work. And who doesn't already blip the throttle before down shifting?

Sin City 07-26-2013 11:22 PM

I personally think it went down this way.

Chevy knows there are a number of people who will not like the old slush box but would switch to auto if it was a DCT. That's been the case time after time in other cars moving that way.

So, because there is no DCT, they made it easier for manual guys to have the rev matching to make shifting / work / effort easier without upsetting true manual lovers who like it to do it the old way.

I think it's a marketing gimmick. Will I use it? Maybe. But it's nothing I'm shaking in my boots with anticipation for. If it were an option, I would not order it.

SCM_Crash 07-26-2013 11:23 PM

I plan to use it often. I know how to rev match just fine on my own.

But one thing it does very well is ensure that the syncros are healthy far longer.

Jinx 07-26-2013 11:25 PM

I get why it's there, and it'll improve the driving experience for a lot of folks, and the lap times and quarter-mile times for a few folks, but I don't want it and I hope it's always optional.

Sin City 07-26-2013 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1584513568)
I get why it's there, and it'll improve the driving experience for a lot of folks, and the lap times and quarter-mile times for a few folks, but I don't want it and I hope it's always optional.

You can turn it on and off but all manuals come with it.

I think it defaults to non-rev matching.

blksw4n 07-26-2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1584513168)
and lets not forget electric windows,..... totally cheating....:lol:

Always have to take someone else's opinion too far dont we?

v26278 07-26-2013 11:40 PM

I look forward to trying it out. I don't heal/toe very well, will never track my vert and couldn't be bothered to learn to perfect heal/toe. If the feature works well I'll use it, if not, no loss, I still enjoy manual transmissions. Cars like Corvettes are toys, if technology makes them more enjoyable then that's great

Jinx 07-27-2013 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584513578)
You can turn it on and off but all manuals come with it.

I think it defaults to non-rev matching.

Yeah, I know that, and that's fine. I meant I hope the option to keep it turned off is always there, in every driving mode.

Sin City 07-27-2013 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1584513735)
Yeah, I know that, and that's fine. I meant I hope the option to keep it turned off is always there, in every driving mode.

My understanding is that it defaults to off all the time. In Eco mode, there's no real advantage I can see to having it -- or why you would worry about it if it did.

Jinx 07-27-2013 12:10 AM

I meant I hope the option to keep it turned off is always there, in every driving mode, in future model years and future iterations of the Corvette.

Sin City 07-27-2013 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1584513780)
I meant I hope the option to keep it turned off is always there, in every driving mode, in future model years and future iterations of the Corvette.

My feeling is... this is the last Corvette with a manual.

In fact, before the C7 is finished I would not be surprised if it has an optional V6 and no longer is offered with a manual if they go eventually to DCT.

Get 'em while you can! :)

Robert R1 07-27-2013 12:18 AM

If the feature works as advertised, it's a great feature. Luddites be damned.

And yes, let's hope it's the last vette with a manual. Paddle Shift tech is stupidly advanced now to the point that manual gearboxes simply can't keep up.

Want nostalgia? keep the old stuff.