CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   are you kidding me Crank pulley issue (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3318200-are-you-kidding-me-crank-pulley-issue.html)

oldschoolvette 08-06-2013 09:01 AM

are you kidding me Crank pulley issue

I have a 78 vette that I am restoring. I built a nice small block and acquired all the correct accessory brackets from C3s.

Now the crank pulley doesn't really line up to anything.

I have a theory that I have a set of truck pulleys or something other than vette

can anyone confirm that the crank and water pump pulleys are different for the vette or maybe its a short vs long water pump thing?

where can I get a set of stock used pulleys??

myk7 08-06-2013 10:53 AM

A pic would probably save you a bunch of time

oldschoolvette 08-06-2013 11:12 AM

standby

oldschoolvette 08-06-2013 11:16 AM

the crank pulley and the water pump line up. they are too far toward the radiator to align with PS and AC maybe 1/8 inch. belt still stays on but it does not run true

working on picture to better illustrate the situation:thumbs::thumbs:

oldschoolvette 08-06-2013 12:09 PM

new belt 30 minutes of run time

see the wear on inside of belt the crank pulley and water pump sit to far up toward the radiator. maybe 1/8 inch

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...-10-43_856.jpg

super-bee_ski 08-06-2013 05:14 PM

Can you compare your crank pulley to an original?
L-82 car or L-48 car? (not sure if that matters)

So; your saying your "NEW" engine came installed w/ crank pulley and your belts are now out of align..?

I take it you do not have original engine OR original crank pulley....
Could the other pulleys be incorrect?

augiedoggy 08-06-2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by super-bee_ski (Post 1584603494)

So; your saying your "NEW" engine came installed w/ crank pulley and your belts are now out of align..?

he built it so my guess is he tried to use standard SBC pulleys... vettes has special extra expensive "corvette pulleys".... first thing I decided not to reuse...march makes new corvette pulleys
I bought spacers to line up all my aftermarket pulleys.... cheap on eBay. There is a big one for between the balanced and crank pulley.

oldschoolvette 08-06-2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by super-bee_ski (Post 1584603494)

the car had a blown up 350 that had a mis match of brackets and I built a 350. 0010 casting and some 882 heads.

I got all the brackets for a corvette-PS Alt AC from a shop on Ebay and compared them to my assembly manual and they are correct.

the issue is that I believe the pulleys crank and WP are not from a vette

augiedoggy 08-06-2013 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette (Post 1584605572)
the car had a blown up 350 that had a mis match of brackets and I built a 350. 0010 casting and some 882 heads.

I got all the brackets for a corvette-PS Alt AC from a shop on Ebay and compared them to my assembly manual and they are correct.

the issue is that I believe the pulleys crank and WP are not from a vette

The c3 waterpump and pulleys are unique to the vette. If you use all standard non vette stuff you shouldn't have an issue but mix and match will ...if you do a search here or Google it you will find all the specifics. I only know this cause I'm found out when ordering a waterpuump and then decided on a standard short pump with all new pulleys.
March pulleys makes polished vette specific pulleys for crazy marked up prices if you have the extra money to spend....spacer shim kits are 20 bucks for crank and water pump.

Bud2 08-06-2013 11:28 PM

I had a misalignment problem on my 350. Spent heaps of time and money trying to sort it all out. As it turned out, the waterpump pulley had moved on it's shaft, I didn't realise that until after I ended up making everything else line up with it.

That won't help you but it may help to know that you can alter the position of the damper and on some waterpumps, the pulley location on its shaft.

Bud.

super-bee_ski 08-13-2013 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by augiedoggy (Post 1584606512)
The c3 waterpump and pulleys are unique to the vette. If you use all standard non vette stuff you shouldn't have an issue but mix and match will ...if you do a search here or Google it you will find all the specifics. I only know this cause I'm found out when ordering a waterpuump and then decided on a standard short pump with all new pulleys.
March pulleys makes polished vette specific pulleys for crazy marked up prices if you have the extra money to spend....spacer shim kits are 20 bucks for crank and water pump.

Yeah, like augiedoggy says:

Also, what I do often is:
1. Go to local hardware store & purchase a 3 ft or 4 ft round wooden dowel (Home Depot 4 ft X 3/8" wooden dowel is $1.00)

2. Use the dowel to get a straight line from crank pulley to other pulleys (As a guide)

This helps me "line things up"

Again, augiedoggy has summed it up...

Good luck, easy fix.