CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 music file format (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3318363-c7-music-file-format.html)

zackvette 08-06-2013 02:08 PM

C7 music file format

Ripping my CD's to flash drive for hope to be built "SOON" C-7. Question, (posed by my GEEK helper) does the new head unit support FLAC and/or Apple Lessloss file formats? Or, just rip them to MP3 format at the highest bit rate, and call it a day?
Thanks!

jvp 08-06-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by zackvette (Post 1584601818)
Ripping my CD's to flash drive for hope to be built "SOON" C-7. Question, (posed by my GEEK helper) does the new head unit support FLAC and/or Apple Lessloss file formats? Or, just rip them to MP3 format at the highest bit rate, and call it a day?
Thanks!

From the MyLink FAQ:

Chevrolet MyLink supports a large variety of song file formats, including MP3, WMA and AAC. It also supports the following playlist files: M3U standard and extended, iTunes, PLS, WAX, ASX and RMP.
So, no, it doesn't support any of the lossless codecs. Best to just compress them down into MP3s and save the FLACs on your computer at home.

RickDI 08-06-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1584601878)
So, no, it doesn't support any of the lossless codecs. Best to just compress them down into MP3s and save the FLACs on your computer at home.

I have read on Camaro forums that Mylink supports wma lossless. I have not personally tested this since my Camaro is a 2010 before Mylink was available.

66dreams 08-06-2013 02:26 PM

:lurk:

TonyGa 08-06-2013 02:36 PM

Glad to hear this part.
I wonder how big a USB drive will be supported?
I've got 80gb on my current player (Zune)

Achmed 08-06-2013 02:42 PM

this is probably a dumb question but can someone clarify as I haven't used anything but radio OR CD's until present. Do we simply save the mp3's we want to play onto a USB stick and then plug the USB stick into the C7 console to start playing?

RickDI 08-06-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Achmed (Post 1584602113)
this is probably a dumb question but can someone clarify as I haven't used anything but radio OR CD's until present. Do we simply save the mp3's we want to play onto a USB stick and then plug the USB stick into the C7 console to start playing?

Yep, that's it. The only requirement is that the USB drive be formatted FAT32 which most are anyway. If not, you can reformat it in Windows.

Achmed 08-06-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RickDI (Post 1584602157)
Yep, that's it. The only requirement is that the USB drive be formatted FAT32 which most are anyway. If not, you can reformat it in Windows.

cool, that sounds much better than burning CD's :thumbs:

RickDI 08-06-2013 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Achmed (Post 1584602272)
cool, that sounds much better than burning CD's :thumbs:

I love it! You can get a TON of music on these things. :rock:

TheYoungster 08-06-2013 04:18 PM

Good afternoon.
What do you think the largest SD Card size is that the C7 will support? Any thoughts based on other GM vehicles that support SD Card?

I want to purchase the largest SD card it will support before I receive the vehicle. That way I can slap it in at the dealer and listen on the way home. Unless I'm to busy listening to the awesome exhaust that is.
Thank you

OMG 08-06-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by theyoungster (Post 1584603014)
good afternoon.
What do you think the largest sd card size is that the c7 will support? Any thoughts based on other gm vehicles that support sd card?

I want to purchase the largest sd card it will support before i receive the vehicle. That way i can slap it in at the dealer and listen on the way home. Unless i'm to busy listening to the awesome exhaust that is.
Thank you

128gb

z28lt1 08-06-2013 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheYoungster (Post 1584603014)
Good afternoon.
What do you think the largest SD Card size is that the C7 will support? Any thoughts based on other GM vehicles that support SD Card?

I want to purchase the largest SD card it will support before I receive the vehicle. That way I can slap it in at the dealer and listen on the way home. Unless I'm to busy listening to the awesome exhaust that is.
Thank you

. I don't think there is a limit of size on the current ones, although I haven't tried anything over 32GB. There is a display limit of 10,000 songs.e USB stick takes a while to index. I've been told on the current version, with a lot of songs, it will take a while to index, but should still play while indexing.

TX-OU812 08-06-2013 11:27 PM

Surely the Bose stereo allows us to just hook up an iPod?

Rad22 08-06-2013 11:40 PM

Uses BOTH USB and SD cards.

FRom the original brochure:

CHEVROLET MYLINK
Corvette Stingray will incorporate the simple, flexible, yet extremely powerful Chevrolet MyLink3 system that can fully integrate information from several Bluetooth®4-enabled mobile devices, USB ports, SD cards, MP3 players and an audio input jack. An 8-inch LCD central display touch-screen (that lowers for device storage with USB port inside) provides access
to third-party music services such as Pandora® and allows for easy, undistracted access to a broad range of functions — including many enhanced OnStar®5 features and 3-D navigation.

I prefer the SD cards since they disappear into the panel into which they are inserted and don't leave something sticking out to get knocked off.

As a side question, on my current MB, which uses SD cards, I organize the music on the card in folders with each folder containing one CD, one artist or one playlist...depending on my intention. The MB COMAND system then displays these folders and the content on the screen for making a selection. Neat way to organize and access particular music. Any idea whether MyLink does this?

zland 08-06-2013 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Achmed (Post 1584602113)

I would certainly stick to mp3 over itunes AAC format. BTW, you can change the setting in itunes to import to mp3. I would do that because later you can use those files anywhere vs limited AAC files. I had many AAC files & finally opted to import them again as mp3's. Personally, I think itunes uses the AAC format for default to keep you using their products :(

I would also suggest you make sure you create mp3 files using 192 kbps or higher. The higher the kbps the better quality. For example, itunes sets the kbps to 128 by default. Some claim they cannot hear a poor sound quality using 128 kbps, others insist they can. If using itunes, go to edit, preferences, general, then import settings to alter setting. Most players have settings for kbps, you just need to change it before importing music.

Mp3 is typically inferior to CD quality (they remove data to save space). Some feel CD's are simply old school. To me, audio quality matters. I know guys that install up to $100,000 stereo set ups in cars. They hate mp3 altogether. Everything is a compromise. To me, an easy compromise is using a higher kbps setting and suffer by it using a little more storage on your usb or other storage device.

Maybe a good experiment would be to import a song using 128 kbps and then import it again using a higher kbps setting. Listen to both in your car (you can burn the mp3's to a CD if needed to do this) & see for yourself if it makes a difference to your ears. I think it is better to do this (will take you maybe 10 mins to do it) rather than importing all your music at a kbps setting and later regret it causing you to import them again at another setting.

These links might help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/40...y-observations

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/...-test-128-320/

SCM_Crash 08-07-2013 03:11 AM

I prefer MP3s encoded at 192-bit or higher. From what I understand, the C7's audio system is supposed to be pretty killer so bumping them to 256-bit would probably sound pretty great.

I use Spotify and have my music stream and save in their HD Audio format. I've played the music over lots of different sound systems and it sounds really good. I think I'll be sticking with that.

zland 08-07-2013 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584607604)
I prefer MP3s encoded at 192-bit or higher. From what I understand, the C7's audio system is supposed to be pretty killer so bumping them to 256-bit would probably sound pretty great.

I use Spotify and have my music stream and save in their HD Audio format. I've played the music over lots of different sound systems and it sounds really good. I think I'll be sticking with that.

I was making an assumption in my reply the person may not be aware of uploading at different kbps since he was use to replying on CD's. The 256 bits you mentioned sounds like a good bet.

NoOne 08-07-2013 06:51 AM

Actually if it does support all of the AAC spec that is what you want to use because there is an AAC Loseless in the AAC format.

zland 08-07-2013 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by NoOne (Post 1584607913)
Actually if it does support all of the AAC spec that is what you want to use because there is an AAC Loseless in the AAC format.

Hmm, you got me thinking.....

http://www.stereophile.com/features/308mp3cd

SCM_Crash 08-07-2013 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by zland (Post 1584607679)
I was making an assumption in my reply the person may not be aware of uploading at different kbps since he was use to replying on CD's. The 256 bits you mentioned sounds like a good bet.

:thumbs:

Yeah, the difference between a 256 bit CD rip and the CD itself is pretty small. It's very hard to hear the difference, especially in a stock car system.