CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 wide body ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3337411-c7-wide-body.html)

jayutmb 09-09-2013 03:04 PM

C7 wide body ?

I am sure it is here someplace, but I cant find a decent answer anyplace.. Is there anyone out that has a wide body kit coming out for the C7 yet? ( Thinking the Z07)

Shaka 09-09-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jayutmb (Post 1584878064)
I am sure it is here someplace, but I cant find a decent answer anyplace.. Is there anyone out that has a wide body kit coming out for the C7 yet? ( Thinking the Z07)

Yes. Chevrolet in a year from now.

b4i4getit 09-09-2013 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shaka (Post 1584878308)
Yes. Chevrolet in a year from now.

Well actually it will probably be announced in January.

RC000E 09-09-2013 06:11 PM

There are already two companies who have shown renderings of their C7's for SEMA this year, that have widebody modifications. I guarantee you...there will be widebody panels available immediately.

rcallen484 09-09-2013 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584879574)
There are already two companies who have shown renderings of their C7's for SEMA this year, that have widebody modifications. I guarantee you...there will be widebody panels available immediately.

How far can they go with wheel/tire mods before ECU starts throwing disabling codes? Do these same places have the expertise to tune for that?

C7pimp 09-09-2013 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1584879600)
How far can they go with wheel/tire mods before ECU starts throwing disabling codes? Do these same places have the expertise to tune for that?

What do you mean?

Like having it throw off the traction management systems?

I'm pretty sure they adjust according to traction and weight transfers all by itself.

I'm not sure but the systems should be good enough to perform well no matter what wheel and tire sizes you use.

rcallen484 09-09-2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1584882019)
What do you mean?

I'm pretty sure they adjust according to traction and weight transfers all by itself.

I'm not sure but the systems should be good enough to perform well no matter what wheel and tire sizes you use.

At some point the ECU can get a reading on some parameter that it mistakenly thinks is a real problem so it shuts the car down. Purely as an example, obviously not applicable here, I believe with the C6 this was an issue with some CAI setups. Someone more technically oriented than me can (and hopefully will) answer your question.

C7pimp 09-10-2013 12:50 AM

I didn't ask the question, you did.:D

I'm not an expert with this particular subject, but I don't think wider or skinnier tires adversely affects the proper operation of the system. Ir detects traction issues and redirects or reduces torque. If you have a sticker tire or more traction from a wider tire, it will just go further before it gets traction issues and kicks in to control the vehicle.

rcallen484 09-10-2013 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1584882019)
What do you mean?

Those questions :thumbs:

Shaka 09-10-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1584878586)
Well actually it will probably be announced in January.

:thumbs:

Shaka 09-10-2013 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584879574)

They will need the actual car before they proceed or be able to access information from GM. Pratt and Miller, Calloway and Lingenfelter are the only ones privy to this info before production.
Then, depending on their resources and equipment, it will take from 6 months to two years to come up with the molds for all 4 fender. $million in equipment and labour for the first method.
It will require exceptional skills in computer form design and laser profiling techniques to marry the new design to the existing mount hard points, and 5 axis milling machines to produce the molds. The molds become more elaborate if carbon fiber parts are to be made.
If it is done all by hand, just to sculpture the plugs, will take one month for each fender for the artist. These artists are few and far between if you want OEM looking parts. Front and rear bumper will take longer. The molds will take at least one month each depending on volumes required. The higher the volumes the better the materials will be required for the molds.
Then there is splash guards and mount hardware and inner fenders and ducting for brakes radiators etc.
Then there is risk for all the designers and manufactures of these parts. Will your design sell? Even if you copyright your design, someone is going to copy them if they are succesful. All they have to do is to pull a mold off your parts which saves them all the hard work.. They can change them by 20% but who is going to judge what that 20% is?
It is the duty of the Corvette Forum to expose these activities but they don't. Theft is rampant in this industry.