CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Question for Verts owners (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3353282-question-for-verts-owners.html)

carsangelop 10-07-2013 08:13 AM

Question for Verts owners

We have a 12 GS vert.We you put your top down do you return the latch handle to the recessed position? I have been leaving our in the unlatched position but have noticed it is leaving a mark on the pad on the underside on the deck lid Thanks

capecodvette 10-07-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by carsangelop (Post 1585110927)
We have a 12 GS vert.We you put your top down do you return the latch handle to the recessed position? I have been leaving our in the unlatched position but have noticed it is leaving a mark on the pad on the underside on the deck lid Thanks

YES.....return the latch to the recessed position....I believe the manual states same.

I am surprised you have been able to open vert, and not notice and/or noise of latch hitting the vert cover.

funz06 10-07-2013 08:20 AM

I have a 2013 427 and I frequently forget to put the handle back in the slot........after the windows go down and we lift the roof those 6 inches or so, we are supposed to put the handle back in the slot so (1) it won't brake off, and (2) won't scratch anything when closed.

AORoads 10-07-2013 08:23 AM

I thought I read that it was optional to put the handle down, and not necessary. I do it anyway, but in the beginning of ownership, did not do it. Note to self :D: re-read manual (don't recall seeing it in there, but will look for it)

jimmie jam 10-07-2013 09:05 AM

I forgot the second time I put the top down. Never again due to damage. If your not getting damage, you're lucky.

Tonylmiller 10-07-2013 09:15 AM

I have never returned the handle to the recessed position. I do not see it in the manual, either. I have not had any damage so far, and my car is a 2006 model. I do not know how the previous owners did it.

I'm going to try to remember to stow the handle in the future, in order to avoid damage. Old habits are hard to break.

icntdrv55 10-07-2013 09:37 AM

First and only Vette convertible I've owned, so take what I offer with a grain of salt...

When putting the top down, I always secure the handle in the "closed" position before I lower the top. When raising the top, I always reach up and briefly support the front top bow as it lowers to cushion the shock of closing. It bothers me that there would be a potential to damage the latch mechanism as the top smacks down on the windshield arch with the latch handle in a closed position. Prolly overkill, but I'm planning on keeping this one for awhile.

su8pack1 10-07-2013 09:38 AM

Yes, I rotate it back, but have left it out with no problems.

wbob 10-07-2013 10:13 AM

On my 2012 GS I never put the handle back in the recessed position and nothing hits. I am keenly aware as my 2010 base vert did have a problem, not with the handle, but with the latch on the tonneau cover hitting the leading edge of the top. There is no adjustment for this except to bend the control arms of the cover and then readjust the trunk lid for correct seams.

JohnAE455 10-07-2013 10:23 AM

The directions do say to put the latch in the closed position before lowering but as usual I didn't read that until several months of lowering the top over and over. I never noticed any unusual noise or damage but do close the latch now just in case. Didn't read the directions because it seemed so straight forward to lower the roof. One thing I did notice is the roof will catch on the seat if the seat is all the way back. This is on a 2012 which might not be a problem with previous models before the seats were redesigned.

Corvette Junkie 10-07-2013 11:03 AM

I have always returned the latch handle to the recessed position.

fast-vette 10-07-2013 11:11 AM

Yes, all the time on my 427 vert.

SubjectAlpha 10-07-2013 11:25 AM

I always put it back. I can't imagine being in such a hurry to drive that I don't have one second to rotate it back into position.

JKbride 10-07-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller (Post 1585111283)
I have never returned the handle to the recessed position. I do not see it in the manual, either. I have not had any damage so far, and my car is a 2006 model. I do not know how the previous owners did it.

I'm going to try to remember to stow the handle in the future, in order to avoid damage. Old habits are hard to break.

:iagree:

Same here, never had put in the recessed position. Thought it was not necessary, no damage but do have imprint on the pad. I never stowed it, because by not stowing puts the handle is in position to secure the top when you put the top up.

I will try stowing before putting the top all the way down next time:thumbs:

Tony 327 10-07-2013 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller (Post 1585111283)

Same for me (2007). I did not see this in the manual either and I have never had an issue. I will certainly re-read that part of the manual!

When closing the top, at what point do you open the latch? Do you allow the top to rest on the windshield frame - then unlatch and re-latch?

AORoads 10-07-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tony 327 (Post 1585112469)
Same for me (2007). I did not see this in the manual either and I have never had an issue. I will certainly re-read that part of the manual!

When closing the top, at what point do you open the latch? Do you allow the top to rest on the windshield frame - then unlatch and re-latch?

I'd say no, to your question. By the time it's resting on the header, it's putting weight on itself making it more difficult, or has banged down. Better to turn the handle either during the movement of the top or stop the roof coming down and do it.

jmk 10-07-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by icntdrv55 (Post 1585111427)
First and only Vette convertible I've owned, so take what I offer with a grain of salt...

When putting the top down, I always secure the handle in the "closed" position before I lower the top. When raising the top, I always reach up and briefly support the front top bow as it lowers to cushion the shock of closing. It bothers me that there would be a potential to damage the latch mechanism as the top smacks down on the windshield arch with the latch handle in a closed position. Prolly overkill, but I'm planning on keeping this one for awhile.

When I read your reply, I had to make sure that it wasn't mine! I have a 427 CE and raise and lower mine the same way! I'm glad to see that someone else is doing this the same way. It probably helps the contact and at least my peace of mind!

Actually, it is in the manual (mine is 2013). The step in question is item 4 on page 2-27 (left hand column). I hope this helps!

eboggs_jkvl 10-07-2013 12:08 PM

Well, I found the statement to close the latch back to the recessed position before lowering the top on the 2012 Owner's manual PDF but it is NOT stated to do that on my 2007 Owner's manual PDF. As a matter of function, I've always closed the handle to the recessed position before lowering so I'll continue to do that.

I also "catch" the top as it comes down on the windshield when raising the top. I reach up, open the latch before it comes down on the window and then I cushion the landing on the windshield. So! I'm anal about $hit slamming together.

Elmer

427CRM2143 10-07-2013 12:08 PM

I left mine unlatched once... Hatch wouldn't close. Never again... 427 1SA.

Flh Den 10-07-2013 12:31 PM

I mentioned this in a previous thread about C6 convertibles. My best friend who has an 06 vert never put the latch in the recess and he now has a bump that is quite visible in the lid. Now I put the latch back in the recess every time. :cheers: