CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (pics) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/336464-new-rear-suspension-and-6-link-first-trial-fit-pics.html)

Brutus 07-06-2002 12:12 AM

New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (pics)

Just wanted to post my progress with a few quick pics of what I've been up to lately. I've only now just put one side temporarily together to see if it all goes back where it came from as well as trialing my "Poor man's 6 link".
So far so good.

https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/br...linkin0001.jpg
https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/br...linkin0002.jpg
https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/br...linkin0003.jpg

GROSSPOLLUTER60 07-06-2002 12:30 AM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (Brutus)

WOW!!!! That is very nice. How'd ya make that??? :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

QuickVet 07-06-2002 12:47 AM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (GROSSPOLLUTER60)

:cool:

Bob Turner 07-06-2002 02:00 AM

Very nicely detailed!! :)

Bob :cheers:

LATNC3 07-06-2002 02:19 AM

Damn.............that look so :cool: ...i hate you :boxing

Rod :cool:

C3 Shark Tank 07-06-2002 03:09 AM

Hey you missed a spot with the polishing compound :jester

groovyjay 07-06-2002 06:08 AM

I bet you need to wear :cool: when working under the car, sure is SHINY! Looks great! :cheers:

Frank75 07-06-2002 08:12 AM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (groovyjay)

That undercarriage is WAY too clean...

BTW, did you ever brace-up the front of the top-link carrier?

Brutus 07-06-2002 08:49 AM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (Frank75)

Thanks for the comments guys.........It's nice to have your efforts appreciated.

Frank...Yes I did pull that top bracket and re-think the bracing of it. I have some pics of it too that I'll post soon. Hopefully when it's all up and running I'll get around to adding a page about it into my web site.

SmokedTires 07-06-2002 09:29 AM

Brutus, what an incredibly beautiful job you've done :eek: . I can't wait to hear the results of your 6 link :cool: .

theandies 07-06-2002 11:30 AM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (SmokedTires)

I notice you have the cam adjustment for the lower strut and also adjustable strut rods. Are you going to keep that and why? Just wondering. Your work looks top-notch. Are you going to offer this system for sale? Looks like a very clean installation. Nice Job.
John

GrandSportC3 07-06-2002 11:35 AM

Just wanted to post my progress with a few quick pics of what I've been up to lately. I've only now just put one side temporarily together to see if it all goes back where it came from as well as trialing my "Poor man's 6 link".
So far so good.
You can do the same thing to my Vette when you are here :D :D :D :D

G R E A T....J O B ! ! ! ! !

:cheers:

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 10:36 AM 7/6/2002]

C3 Shark Tank 07-06-2002 12:13 PM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (GrandSportC3)

Olivier
Hey Olivier it looks like he's going to be real busy when he gets here, he's got to polish my car up too :lol: :jester actually the freak did some polishing on mine last year while I was in school for the day, then we drove up to the museum for 4 days of rain :rolleyes:

Brutus 07-06-2002 07:12 PM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (theandies)

John...The reason for the upper cam adjustments as well as the lower ones is more a consequence of the ideas I came up with rather than an actual desire or need for two sets of adjusters. Tho having said that, I don't see that it's any detraction in the ultimate finished product, but more that it offers another dimension in fine tuning the suspension alignment.
During the construction stage I had one of the guys from the suspension shop come around and tell me what he thought of my attempts so far and he gave it the thumbs up totally.

The reason my application of the 6 link idea is so simple is that to overcome the need for a complex design of the top mounting bracket is that I simply utilised the old lower strut rod bracket and rods to make the new top struts. Having already bought a new VB&P Smart Strut system I was left with the perfect parts to build my own top strut set up. So all I had to do was come up with a way to modify the old set of rods and bracket and mount them up top. Instant 6 link! :yesnod:

Brutus 07-06-2002 07:21 PM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (C3 Shark Tank)

Olivier

Hey Olivier it looks like he's going to be real busy when he gets here, he's got to polish my car up too :lol: :jester actually the freak did some polishing on mine last year while I was in school for the day, then we drove up to the museum for 4 days of rain :rolleyes:
Olivier...I'd have to extend my passport if I was to try this on your car. :D
Plus I'd find it hard to concentrate on working on the car with the beach so near...not to mention Hooters being in the same State. :lol:

Scott...I'll polish anything for a beer or three. :D

Darkness 07-06-2002 08:40 PM

That looks way too cool, I think you should go off road a little just to dull that shine a little :D
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Paul

Chris O' 07-07-2002 08:14 PM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (LATNC3 (Rod R))

Damn.............that look so :cool: ...i hate you :boxing

Rod :cool:
Yeah - I hate you too! :p:

When you've road tested the heck out of it.... how much to make me one??? :D

Monty 07-07-2002 08:48 PM

Looks Fantastic. A 6-link is on my to-do list as soon as I get all the details of my TT setup finished.

Did you remove the c-clips for the inner yokes? Also, what is the length of the upper tube (not including the spherical rod ends)?

Again, that looks great!

Brutus 07-07-2002 09:58 PM

Re: New rear suspension and 6 link first trial fit. (Monty)

Chris....Thanks ......I think. :) I'll be posting results when I finally get this thing back on the road again. I have to get it up and registered before I go to the States next month so hopefully I'll have something to post before then.
I should be able to steer you through your own set up if that's any help to you.

Monty...I'm certainly not in your league as far as making things to suit, but I try. :rolleyes: I appreciate your compliments.
The whole reason for my starting this project was that when we went to replace the diff gearing we noticed that the C clips were no longer there. Previously removed considering the lack of any metallic evidence in the diff casing. Along with the fact that replacement yolks are pretty scarce over here, I decided t go ahead and see what I could come up with. Hence the "poor man's" version utilizing the old strut rods and brackets.
The top tubes are 9 3/8"long without the rod ends.

My son's Turbo Datsun is sick at the moment so any further work on my car will have to wait until I fathom the problem with it first. You'd think it'd be easier working on only half a motor wouldn't you? :D

[Modified by Brutus, 12:06 PM 7/8/2002]

SLICKMAN 07-07-2002 10:05 PM

All I can say is WOW!! :eek: