CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   '13 GS Front Mat anchors (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3384899-13-gs-front-mat-anchors.html)

csf 12-04-2013 09:39 AM

'13 GS Front Mat anchors

I just ordered some new front mats for my '13 GS coupe.

Turns out the last 3,000 or so C6's ever made, of which mine is one, have the passenger front mat anchor 9.5 inches from the door sill instead of 8.5 inches. So for a 2013 you actually need to measure and specify which measurement you need when you order, or the grommet in the mat will not match up with the hook in the floor of the car.

Obviously its not a big deal, but I wonder why GM would change something this minor so late into the final C6 production run, especially when the C7 was around the corner. I wonder if this was a mistake.

Regardless, can't wait for my new mats with the correct anchor. The factory mats are pretty weak.

Landru 12-04-2013 10:11 AM

Yes GM seems to enjoy changing something just subtle enough to cause confusion. :crazy2:

During the C6 run matts changed from loops to hooks. Many members ordered the wrong ones & thankfully forum vendors did exchanges w/ no hassle.

icntdrv55 12-04-2013 10:36 AM

If you go to the WeatherTech site, they specify different mats for pre- vs post-Sept 2012 manufacture dates. I have now idea if this was the button/hook change or a spacing change….or both.

Landru 12-04-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by icntdrv55 (Post 1585590100)
If you go to the WeatherTech site, they specify different mats for pre- vs post-Sept 2012 manufacture dates. I have now idea if this was the button/hook change or a spacing change….or both.

Use WT's 800# & call.
Make sure to use the measurment changes the OP provided & know which one you have. :cheers:

blue max 12-04-2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1585590153)
Use WT's 800# & call.
Make sure to use the measurment changes the OP provided & know which one you have. :cheers:

Lloyds will ask you to measure. My 13 made in Feb 2013 has the newer spacing and so I think it goes back a ways that this was done

Landru 12-04-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by blue max (Post 1585591126)
Lloyds will ask you to measure. My 13 made in Feb 2013 has the newer spacing and so I think it goes back a ways that this was done

I'd bet Lloyds does ask now, cheaper for them in the long run.
Unfortuantely when the change was made, '07 to '08 MY?, many vendors didn't know & neither did we consumers. :cheers:

Red Lightening 12-04-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by csf (Post 1585589656)

Turns out the last 3,000 or so C6's ever made, of which mine is one, have the passenger front mat anchor 9.5 inches from the door sill instead of 8.5 inches. So for a 2013 you actually need to measure and specify which measurement you need when you order, or the grommet in the mat will not match up with the hook in the floor of the car.

Obviously its not a big deal, but I wonder why GM would change something this minor so late into the final C6 production run, especially when the C7 was around the corner. I wonder if this was a mistake.

Regardless, can't wait for my new mats with the correct anchor. The factory mats are pretty weak.

I ran into this same issue with my car. Since it was made in Feb of 13 I knew I must have had the latest change. I agree why o why do they do these things.

Red Lightening 12-04-2013 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by blue max (Post 1585591126)

Oh what's your Vin we may own sisters #09432 here.

csf 12-04-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Red Lightening (Post 1585591621)
I ran into this same issue with my car. Since it was made in Feb of 13 I knew I must have had the latest change. I agree why o why do they do these things.

Yup, the last C6 was actually made Feb 28, 2013. Mine was made in January 2013. I would guess the last few months of the C6 run have the 1" different measurement on the passenger mat. No other model years have this.

(But this has nothing to do with the type of anchor . . . all 2013's are floor hooks and grommets in the mat.)

Why, why why ? . . .

Jim Rogers 12-04-2013 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by csf (Post 1585589656)

I, too, just ordered mats for my '13 GS.

Although I just bought the car last month (I'm a new c6 owner!), the build date was August '12. So I'm figuring that mine is clearly an early version so I'll be OK with the mat fit.

I decided to double check and measured as per the Lloyd website. As you mentioned, the hook is supposed to be 8.25 inches from the sil on the passenger side in the early '13's, 9.5 inches for the later ones (which will not fit).

With an Aug '12 build date, I'm expecting mine to be 8.25" and fit the mats.

Nope-- it wasn't 8.25". However, it also wasn't 9.5". It was almost exactly 9.0".

So now I was really confused-- did the hooks slowly morph over the course of the build run and mine was only half way there? :lol:

So I communicated with Patrick and GMPartswarehouse.com, where I was going to buy the mats. Turns out there's nothing to worry about for any of us; late, early, or in the middle.

According to Patrick:

The hooks are able to be retrofitted-- all you would have to do is move any hook there is an issue with. All they are is a tab slid into a slit in the carpet with grips to hold them in place.
So they are not permanently installed and can simply be moved if needed.

Thus it's not really such a big deal that they changed the position mid run-- it would have been a bigger deal had they been solidly attached to the floor in different positions over the production run.

Also explains my car-- obviously when they slip the hooks into the carpet at the factory they were not super-accurate with how they did it.

So if anyone else out there has a late '13 that the mats don't fit, or an early '13 in which the mats are not fitting well, you can fix it.

csf 12-04-2013 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Rogers (Post 1585592025)

Although I just bought the car last month (I'm a new c6 owner!), the build date was August '12. So I'm figuring that mine is clearly an early version so I'll be OK with the mat fit.

I decided to double check and measured as per the Lloyd website. As you mentioned, the hook is supposed to be 8.25 inches from the sil on the passenger side in the early '13's, 9.5 inches for the later ones (which will not fit).

Nope-- it wasn't 8.25". However, it also wasn't 9.5". It was almost exactly 9.0".

So now I was really confused-- did the hooks slowly morph over the course of the build run and mine was only half way there? :lol:

So I communicated with Patrick and GMPartswarehouse.com, where I was going to buy the mats. Turns out there's nothing to worry about for any of us; late, early, or in the middle.

According to Patrick:

Thus it's not really such a big deal that they changed the position mid run-- it would have been a bigger deal had they been solidly attached to the floor in different positions over the production run.

Also explains my car-- obviously when they slip the hooks into the carpet at the factory they were not super-accurate with how they did it.

So if anyone else out there has a late '13 that the mats don't fit, or an early '13 in which the mats are not fitting well, you can fix it.

That is just crazy, but a great bit of information and post, thanks. Gotta love GM. Hope our steering and braking systems were installed with a bit more accuracy ! Thanks again.

Homer3D 12-04-2013 04:53 PM

I am in the same boat. I was going to order Lloyd mats and measured it exactly they way they describe it on their website. I too came in at exactly 9 inches. I have no idea which one to order.

I thought about asking someone with a 2008 - 2012 Corvette if I can borrow their floor mats. If their floor mat fits then I would assume I have the "EARLY" hooks.

Jim Rogers 12-04-2013 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Homer3D (Post 1585593482)
I am in the same boat. I was going to order Lloyd mats and measured it exactly they way they describe it on their website. I too came in at exactly 9 inches. I have no idea which one to order.

I thought about asking someone with a 2008 - 2012 Corvette if I can borrow their floor mats. If their floor mat fits then I would assume I have the "EARLY" hooks.

There is no choice in ordering. The mats only come in the "early" 8.25" size.

However, since then hooks are apparently moveable, it doesn't really matter. Just order the mats and move the hooks as necessary.

BTW, my mats are on the way. I'll post my experience moving the hooks as soon as I do it.

Homer3D 12-04-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Rogers (Post 1585593530)
There is no choice in ordering. The mats only come in the "early" 8.25" size.

That's can't be right. I just tried to place an order. There are 2 choices. Early and Late 2013.

Here is where I tried to place the order.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...ok-anchor.aspx

Same here. 2 choices for the 2013. (8.25 or 9.5)
http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...sultimats.html

Jim Rogers 12-04-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Homer3D (Post 1585593649)
That's can't be right. I just tried to place an order. There are 2 choices. Early and Late 2013.

Here is where I tried to place the order.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...ok-anchor.aspx

Same here. 2 choices for the 2013. (8.25 or 9.5)
http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...sultimats.html

Sorry-- you might be right on those. I was shopping the rubber mats where (I believe) there is only the one choice.

Jim Rogers 12-15-2013 09:30 PM

According to Patrick:

Patrick's info was correct-- see the resolution of this issue here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...loor-mats.html