CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Goodbye M3, hello C7 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3386341-goodbye-m3-hello-c7.html)

djseto 12-06-2013 10:53 PM

Goodbye M3, hello C7

Just traded my 2008 BMW M3 Coupe for a White with Red interior 2LT. NEVER thought I would get rid of the M3 for any american made sports car. Just had a 90 mile drive home from my dealer...and I don't miss my M3. Not. One. Bit.

Even got 28.9 MPG!

Stingray23 12-06-2013 10:55 PM

congrats and welcome

ta70raiii 12-06-2013 11:01 PM

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it! Post up some pics!

:thumbs:

OMG 12-06-2013 11:07 PM

This forum needs a like button.

SoCalC7 12-06-2013 11:08 PM

Boo yah! I never expected to buy a Corvette either but this thing is undeniable.

v26278 12-06-2013 11:12 PM

After owning a new Vette, you'll look at beemers differently from now on. BM's are fine cars, but Vettes are in a different class, an entirely different experience. Congrats and enjoy.

DalTexVette 12-06-2013 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by djseto (Post 1585614389)
Just traded my 2008 BMW M3 Coupe for a White with Red interior 2LT. NEVER thought I would get rid of the M3 for any american made sports car. Just had a 90 mile drive home from my dealer...and I don't miss my M3. Not. One. Bit.

Even got 28.9 MPG!

As the current owner of a '13 535i M-Sport, and an 08 550i M-Sport, I have to say congrats and wish I was in your shoes. Trying to sell one of mine to get a C7.

I had a chance to test drive a Torch Red and that did it for me.

Enjoy the ride!

DaveFerrari458 12-06-2013 11:18 PM

Congrats and I mean this when I say you upgraded big time in every category! :thumbs:

C7_Z06 12-06-2013 11:20 PM

Even got 28.9 MPG!

Congrats! You will love it more & more! I also had an M3 and an AMG before... a few years ago but this new C7 is absolutely a blast! :thumbs:

Originally Posted by SoCalC7 (Post 1585614476)
Boo yah! I never expected to buy a Corvette either but this thing is undeniable.

Ditto, neither did I until the reveal back on 1-13-13. Undeniably awesome! :cheers:

gthal 12-06-2013 11:26 PM

I had 2 E92 M3s and am waiting for my C7 to arrive. Very excited.

mb1 12-06-2013 11:31 PM

Interesting. Still hemming and hawing between this and another car. We love our M3, it's certainly raised the bar for an all around enjoyable every day car.....i

Monaco335 12-07-2013 12:11 AM

Trading in FBO 335 for c7. GM definitely did something right with this one.

djseto 12-07-2013 12:57 AM

My M3 was not my daily driver, but it COULD have been (minus the 15mpg). I don't see the C7 being able to be a daily, but I don't really care right now. I'm single and 32, so all I need is room for me and a lovely lady.

For those E92 owners...I really struggled on this and had I not seen the one in white that I liked, I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger. The M3 would pull well even in 6th. The C7 does not (or in 7th), but the engine RPMs are vastly different but when I go down to 4th or 5th, the torque is crazy (295 vs 465) and off it goes.

I took my favorite off ramp tonight and the M3 still feels more stiff on the suspension (mine had the adjustable) and frankly it felt more planted, but I could tell the C7 in sport mode was limiting me a bit which I'm glad it did. I did the BMW 2 Day M Driving school earlier this year and I felt very let down when I drove the M5 and M6 with all the nanny's on. When they turned it down, but not off, it was a different car. When I did a hot lap with their pro-driver with it completely off, I realized I would have wrapped myself around a guard rail. I suspect the same goes with the C7. The nanny's are there, but the one in my M3 was much less noticeable. i'm guessing if I had the Magentic Ride or the even the Z51 package, I would have felt more planted, less roll, and more confident, but the numbers and reviews don't lie. I know this car would eat the M3 on a track with the right driver and that 1g skid pad trumps the M by a tad.

I'm still very impressed by the fit and finish of the car in the interior (2LT). Infotainment is a bit slow at times, but not bad. Still wish and wonder why I can't add Nav as dealer installed option since it wasn't equipped. It should just be software and maybe the GPS antenna since the display appears to be the same. Oh well..between onStar and the iPhone, I'm sure I'll live. Performance exhaust is an eargasm...

gthal 12-07-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by djseto (Post 1585615013)
My M3 was not my daily driver, but it COULD have been (minus the 15mpg). I don't see the C7 being able to be a daily, but I don't really care right now. I'm single and 32, so all I need is room for me and a lovely lady.

For those E92 owners...I really struggled on this and had I not seen the one in white that I liked, I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger. The M3 would pull well even in 6th. The C7 does not (or in 7th), but the engine RPMs are vastly different but when I go down to 4th or 5th, the torque is crazy (295 vs 465) and off it goes.

I took my favorite off ramp tonight and the M3 still feels more stiff on the suspension (mine had the adjustable) and frankly it felt more planted, but I could tell the C7 in sport mode was limiting me a bit which I'm glad it did. I did the BMW 2 Day M Driving school earlier this year and I felt very let down when I drove the M5 and M6 with all the nanny's on. When they turned it down, but not off, it was a different car. When I did a hot lap with their pro-driver with it completely off, I realized I would have wrapped myself around a guard rail. I suspect the same goes with the C7. The nanny's are there, but the one in my M3 was much less noticeable. i'm guessing if I had the Magentic Ride or the even the Z51 package, I would have felt more planted, less roll, and more confident, but the numbers and reviews don't lie. I know this car would eat the M3 on a track with the right driver and that 1g skid pad trumps the M by a tad.

I'm still very impressed by the fit and finish of the car in the interior (2LT). Infotainment is a bit slow at times, but not bad. Still wish and wonder why I can't add Nav as dealer installed option since it wasn't equipped. It should just be software and maybe the GPS antenna since the display appears to be the same. Oh well..between onStar and the iPhone, I'm sure I'll live. Performance exhaust is an eargasm...

The base suspension is reported to be fairly soft compared to the Z51 or the Z51 w/ MRC and I would expect the performance difference would be meaningful.

The C7 would not just eat an M3 with the right driver, it would simply eat an M3 :D The M3 is an 8:10 car on the 'Ring and the C7 will likey be 7:30 to 7:40 (if you extrapolate based on track times vs. the 911S)... that is NOT even a little close :thumbs:

Having said that the M3 is an amazing car and I miss mine. I might buy an M4 at some point for a daily driver with the C7 for weekends/track.

Lipstic 12-07-2013 07:20 AM

Even got 28.9 MPG!

Welcome to the dark side! :rofl:

quick04Z06 12-07-2013 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by djseto (Post 1585615013)

Z51 plus mag ride is the way to go for max handling plus pretty good ride comfort when you want it. The base and Z 51 cars are set up quite differently to cover the full range of Corvette customers. Sorry you bought the softer car.

bigblock427 12-07-2013 09:16 AM

OP, congratulations on your new Vette.:cheers: I know you will enjoy owning and driving it.

Racerdj 12-07-2013 09:23 AM

Congratulations!

mb1 12-07-2013 09:30 AM

I was wondering about the comparison until I realized he had a base suspension car. Its still a good comparison but for me, I'd only order a Z51. Interested in others opinions that owned both.

As a side note, I wonder if GM will ever publish C7 ring times, maybe if the Z06 is MUCH faster that's when it will be released. I wonder if you're right about the Z51 being a 7:35 car.

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1585615532)
The base suspension is reported to be fairly soft compared to the Z51 or the Z51 w/ MRC and I would expect the performance difference would be meaningful.

The C7 would not just eat an M3 with the right driver, it would simply eat an M3 :D The M3 is an 8:10 car on the 'Ring and the C7 will likey be 7:30 to 7:40 (if you extrapolate based on track times vs. the 911S)... that is NOT even a little close :thumbs:

Having said that the M3 is an amazing car and I miss mine. I might buy an M4 at some point for a daily driver with the C7 for weekends/track.

gthal 12-07-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mb1 (Post 1585616211)
As a side note, I wonder if GM will ever publish C7 ring times, maybe if the Z06 is MUCH faster that's when it will be released. I wonder if you're right about the Z51 being a 7:35 car.

No one knows yet... obviously... but the C7 is faster than a 911S on every track it has been tested on (every single one) and the 911S is a high 7:30's car on the 'Ring. That would suggest the C7 will be that or slightly faster. We will eventually find out.