CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   86 runs dies (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3416907-86-runs-dies.html)

CMY SIX 02-07-2014 11:45 PM

86 runs dies

I guy I met has an 86 he's changed the fuel pump a couple of times and what he calls the fuel regulator "alittle black box under the hood" car starts runs for a few minutes and then dies doesn't matter if you put in in gear or not it just runs and then dies ANY IDEA"S???? I think the car is an auto tranny

Cliff Harris 02-08-2014 02:52 AM

He probably changed the fuel pump relay. It should come on for 2 seconds when the ignition switch is turned on. It then turns off so the fuel pump won't run continuously if the ignition is turned on but the engine is not started. The fuel pump relay turns on whenever the engine is rotating, whether cranking or running.

The best way to troubleshoot this is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what happens. Check the gauge when the ignition is first turned on (without cranking), when the engine is running and after the engine is shut off (the pressure should hold for at least 15 minutes).

joe paco 02-08-2014 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by CMY SIX (Post 1586119847)
I guy I met has an 86 he's changed the fuel pump a couple of times and what he calls the fuel regulator "alittle black box under the hood" car starts runs for a few minutes and then dies doesn't matter if you put in in gear or not it just runs and then dies ANY IDEA"S???? I think the car is an auto tranny

if he knows how to pull the codes from the computer, I would start there. Auto-zone or others may do that for free. I can send you the test portions of the 86 FSM if you want.

Like Cliff says, it seems to be running out of fuel, but there is a backup to the fuel pump relay that should keep the pump running. the fuel filter may be clogged, or many other things.

the tests cover several pages in the Factory Service Manual.

ghoastrider1 02-08-2014 05:05 PM

86 vette= OB-1

CMY SIX 02-08-2014 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe paco (Post 1586120972)
if he knows how to pull the codes from the computer, I would start there. Auto-zone or others may do that for free. I can send you the test portions of the 86 FSM if you want.

Like Cliff says, it seems to be running out of fuel, but there is a backup to the fuel pump relay that should keep the pump running. the fuel filter may be clogged, or many other things.

the tests cover several pages in the Factory Service Manual.

that would be great if you could send the test portions

joe paco 02-08-2014 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by CMY SIX (Post 1586125104)
that would be great if you could send the test portions

sent PM a while ago.

joe