CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Why is "Never Driven in the Rain" a selling point? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3424811-why-is-never-driven-in-the-rain-a-selling-point.html)

Capn Hook 02-22-2014 09:49 PM

Why is "Never Driven in the Rain" a selling point?

I see these for sale ads all the time claiming this, yet, it's not like the car is gonna melt, like the Wicked Witch of the West. So who cares? Especially if it's your car, are you supposed to not drive it in the rain for potential buyers in the future? Or do corvettes of the present not do well out in the elements? Just wondering, cuz I'm in the buyers market and plan on driving whenever and wherever I feel like after I purchase, be it a base model, z06, or zr1. It's just a mechanical piece of property, right? Somebody please set me straight!

C6ToGo 02-22-2014 09:54 PM

I guess the seller is implying that the car he wants to sell you has been "babied" by him.

owc6 02-22-2014 09:54 PM

:lurk:

lisa

Capn Hook 02-22-2014 09:56 PM

Lisa, I have my popcorn, cuz I'm curious! Oh, and a Bohemia!

owc6 02-22-2014 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Hook (Post 1586239297)
Lisa, I have my popcorn, cuz I'm curious! Oh, and a Bohemia!

:cheers:

lisa

hawkgfr 02-22-2014 10:00 PM

Only thing for me it means it's clean underneath....actually rain is easy on them imo less stress and you aren't dogging them in the rain...But they do get dirty underneath...

spdmn75 02-22-2014 10:05 PM

Its just like every time someone on this forum is going to buy something they have to say "about to pull the trigger on this". Just doesn't make any sense

Boba Fett 02-22-2014 10:06 PM

amazing that some ppl actually have to ask this question...

kevakasper 02-22-2014 10:19 PM

They are claiming that they never have gotten wet which is BS. They all stay outside at the factory, all get water tested at the factory and most sit outside at dealer lots. What difference does it make if it gets rained on or just washed?

Vette_DD 02-22-2014 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by kevakasper (Post 1586239459)
They are claiming that they never have gotten wet which is BS. They all stay outside at the factory, all get water tested at the factory and most sit outside at dealer lots. What difference does it make if it gets rained on or just washed?

:iagree: You'd think they don't know what windshield wipers are for.

Gary '09 C6 02-22-2014 10:24 PM

:iagree: just a lot of seller "spin" (no pun intended !)

Steve_R 02-22-2014 11:15 PM

Seller thinks it's worth more because of it. Which, of course, is BS.

FAUEE 02-22-2014 11:35 PM

Buried deep in the owner's manual it mentions that the skinny pedal in the car is both for making more noise, but also for attaching your car to the nearest pole or tree in the rain. So never driven in rain mans this probably didn't happen to it.

In all seriousness, I think it's more of a statement of how you view the car. If you don't drive it in rain, that implies you have another car, which implies that the vette s your nice car that you care about more. Thus you should have been more likely to take better care of it.

4thC4at60 02-22-2014 11:40 PM

Several years ago I stopped at a hotel in Princeton, West Virginia. As I walked from reception into the parking lot to retrieve my luggage another Corvette pulled up beside mine.

The owner got out looking at the sky, which was dark, foreboding, and looking as if it were going to rain...he had a worried look on his face.

I asked, "Is yours one of the rare ones without windshield wipers?"

He look startled for a moment, then replied, "I get it. I get it."

I asked, "Never been rained on before?"

He said, "No."

I assured him it wouldn't melt.

He probably didn't sleep a wink that night. I slept well, and likely, with a smile on my face... :rofl:

rjkrumb 02-22-2014 11:46 PM

driven in the rain

owned 2 vetts neither have melted in the rain and both had windshield wipers was not an option

4thC4at60 02-23-2014 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1586239876)
<snip>

In all seriousness, I think it's more of a statement of how you view the car. If you don't drive it in rain, that implies you have another car, which implies that the vette s your nice car that you care about more. Thus you should have been more likely to take better care of it.

I have a Ferrari. I drive _it_ in the rain.... It, like the Corvette, is just a car. I'm 72, I've gonna save it for someone else? :willy:

Capn Hook 02-23-2014 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 1586239369)
amazing that some ppl actually have to ask this question...

And, yet, it's amazing that some people CAN'T answer same question! :ack:

Capn Hook 02-23-2014 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1586240018)
I have a Ferrari. I drive _it_ in the rain.... It, like the Corvette, is just a car. I'm 72, I've gonna save it for someone else? :willy:

I'm 37, I think, and for some reason have always reasoned this same way!

Capn Hook 02-23-2014 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1586239876)
Buried deep in the owner's manual it mentions that the skinny pedal in the car is both for making more noise, but also for attaching your car to the nearest pole or tree in the rain. So never driven in rain mans this probably didn't happen to it.

I have THree other vehicles I could drive, but if it's raining and I WANT to drive my vette(if I had it yet) I'd drive it! No big deal!

GordyRay 02-23-2014 12:12 AM

Come on Man' You know what that means...really

Since the beginning of cars, owners who have protected their cars and only driven them on sunny perfect days have made that statement "Car never seen rain" meaning that the car has been babied and cared for in such a way that it is in "mint" condition. Think about it for a moment, if an owner would not drive the car in the rain, he more than likely wouldn't park the car near other vehicles so it doesn't have door dings, he/she most likely doesn't have road rash on the front/rear of the car, etc. Check it out and see for yourself, fairly obvious if you know people that turn their cars around with very low mileage. If I were looking to buy a used Corvette, I would prefer buying from an owner who makes that claim because his/her car is going to be a very decent Corvette.
Cheers,
Fuze
:salute: