CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   SPEED Channel in Canada (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/3428264-speed-channel-in-canada.html)

e-sarge 03-04-2014 10:17 AM

What I've heard is that Fox Sports is fighting with CRTC to get their channels into the Canadian market. Until that happens, they have raised the rates for Speed (since the current Speed channel has almost zero advertising revenue -- most of the ads are for Fox shows).

Rogers refused to pay, Bell is paying.

Note: I'm not defending Rogers, just arming the angry masses with more information to fight the good fight. Please continue to call Rogers to express your concerns with their decision.

tfi racing 03-04-2014 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by e-sarge (Post 1586317955)
What I've heard is that Fox Sports is fighting with CRTC to get their channels into the Canadian market. Until that happens, they have raised the rates for Speed (since the current Speed channel has almost zero advertising revenue -- most of the ads are for Fox shows).

Interesting,can't the same be said for all Canadian channels?With a few exceptions they all have close to no advertising revenue,the only ads we ever seem to see are for the cable/phone megalopolies promoting the channels they already own.:ack:

Black 03 Z06 03-04-2014 03:19 PM

Heard that Speed will disappear from Bell on May 1, 2014. I will probably disappear from them around the same time. TV is a waste of money these days.

Cybermind 03-04-2014 07:13 PM

I still have Speed Channel, for now (Videotron). I hate to say it but damn, it SUCKS! I can't even watch it anymore. It's just redneck shows and the worst part, they're all reruns. "Dumbest stuff on wheels" has to be the stupidest trailer trash show I've ever seen on TV. I wonder when a proper car enthusiast channel will come along for us Canadians.

lionelhutz 03-04-2014 07:32 PM

There is no point complaining or petitioning about this "loss". Fox killed it off in the US so there will never again be any decent programming to watch on it.

I keep hearing about Velocity and have even downloaded a few shows it hosts. If you want to spend any effort petitioning for a channel then go after this one.

zet06 03-05-2014 12:34 AM

Shaw still has it but its hopeless, only thing worth watching is Nascar truck racing and race hub, the rest is crap. Fox destroyed it. they want you to access it on line as they don't have to put up with CRTC and its Canadian content ads. Can U blame them. Overriding ads in the word of the internet is done.
Did you ask Rogers what discount they will give you now that you lost a channel (TRY ZERO)
I live 5 minutes from the border , my friend in Blaine Washington pays $39.95 per month for Direct TV which includes HS internet. I have mostly crap channels governed by the useless CRTC and there protection of shaw/rogers and Bell and all things Quebec and I pay $133. per month.
The loss of hockey to TSN couldn't have happen to a better group, remember they forced he CRTC to make them a mainline channel so everyone had to pay.
Just like the CBC will get increased funding from the taxpayer when their only cash cow Hockey is gone. WE PAY WE PAY AND PAY!

PbPedis 03-05-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06 (Post 1586320609)
TV is a waste of money these days.

^^^This

ontcanuck 03-13-2014 10:55 AM

turned on Speed channel yesterday and announcement was made no more Speed after May 1 (Bell Satellite) what a bummer my favourite channel.

Dodosmike 03-13-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ontcanuck (Post 1586394042)
turned on Speed channel yesterday and announcement was made no more Speed after May 1 (Bell Satellite) what a bummer my favourite channel.

Yeah. I saw that too. Don't recall date though. Something makes me think May 31st. The date is irrelevant.

I was just thinking what DO I watch on speed......
"The 10" (all repeats now)
The BJ Auction specials (not the auctions its self though)

Going forward TSN/Fox for Nascar.
I wonder if Fox will cover the Australian Supercar series?

Don't give a crap about Pimp my ride, pinks, dumbest stuff on wheels, or that other show where they take 4 rides and the owners rate the cars and pick a "winner". Its usually the girl with the shortest skirt or biggest Hoots anyway.

dodosmike

c7rvette 03-13-2014 06:42 PM

speed channel gone

was the Barett Jackson auctions also provided by the speed channel, that's probably one that is going to be dearly missed by a lot of people....??? leave it to rogers to piss off their clients more...they are good at that!!!

squalo3 03-14-2014 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by c7rvette (Post 1586398004)
was the Barett Jackson auctions also provided by the speed channel, that's probably one that is going to be dearly missed by a lot of people....??? leave it to rogers to piss off their clients more...they are good at that!!!

Yes it was, and now Fox Sports is picking it up, it's on the Barrett-Jackson website.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

checo3423 03-14-2014 02:03 PM

Sucks I really like watching the Barrett Jackson auction...

4SUMERZ 03-14-2014 03:57 PM

Speed Channel pretty much sucked as of late. Barrett Jackson will be available via Fox.
Are You faster than a Redneck....WOW!!!!!! that's what the channel had lowered itself to.

Good Riddance :ack:

wonderful 03-30-2014 02:21 PM

Ever since Fox took over the Speedvision channel, things were never the same.
Now the Speed Channel in Canada is gone forever.
http://www.prnmag.com/blogs-opinion/...nd-of-february

DDP 03-30-2014 02:46 PM

Where can you watch a live F1 race?

gdh 03-30-2014 02:53 PM

TSN/TSN2 has live F1, watched both races. This week TSN2 rebroadcast on Sat (noon) and today (11 am). :cheers:

DDP 03-30-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by gdh (Post 1586535936)
TSN/TSN2 has live F1, watched both races. This week TSN2 rebroadcast on Sat (noon) and today (11 am). :cheers:

Thanks.

gdh 04-04-2014 09:23 PM

Lift off for Kimi during today's practice sessions. Qualifying on TSN Sat @10.55 with race Sunday @10.55 TSN.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps473001f0.jpg

QIK59 04-04-2014 09:49 PM

Gotta luv ma antennaaah :
NASCAR races from Buffalo on (FOX) Channel 29 and Indycar on CITYtv channel 57
doan cost me nuthin LOL

LT1vette 04-04-2014 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by LT1vette (Post 1586297121)
Update....

I saw the "footer" banner running across the bottom of the speed channel for the Daytona 24 hour race. It said the channel was going to be cancelled before the Daytona 500 race...! WTF

So I called Rogers to ask, talking to the operator about it, she says, "yup, it's going to happen" SO, I ask her about the other (Bell) carrier, (thinking she works for Rogers, NO she works at a phone center in Sudbury and she is more than p---sed that they will not be showing the NASCAR)
She reads me a bulletin/press release, saying that the Speed channel is in negotiations with Rogers but they want too much money.....

I had a very candid conversation with this lady, even after the generic message that "these calls may be recorded for training purposes".....

I switched to Bell 2 days later....bundaled and saved $70/month

REALLY, neither carrier gives a s--t, it's all about the money:smash:

:cheers:

Well...You know it, here I thought I was giving Rogers the finger, instead it was Bell sucking me in, now they are jamming it in my a--

"we had no idea 2 months ago that we would not be carrying the Speed channel, no there won't be a credit, so sorry you live in Ontario"
Holy s--t !!!!
Bell/Rogers, they don't give a s--t what WE want to watch, it's who pays the money to the carrier that gets their stuff aired.

With all the racing, Nascar, Indy, Cart, NHRA, WOO, SCCA, car stuff that is out there, there should be a channel that carries a bunch of this stuff. A variety, like the Wide world of sports, of yesteryear. It's hard to comprehend.......
You'll notice I never mentioned Formula one. I've never considered it competitive. Most times they position you qualified in, was where you finished, team rules, 4/5 competitive cars, the rest have no chance of winning,......that's not racing

Thanks for the rant:smash::willy: