CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Extreme Oil Leak!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3433220-extreme-oil-leak.html)

C7pimp 03-10-2014 11:21 AM

Extreme Oil Leak!!

My baby (with only 11 miles on it) literally puked almost all of the oil out.

It puddled everywhere underneath the hood, sprayed the hood liner on the driver side, coated the entire undercarriage, and even coated the entire back of the car in oil. I was getting on the freeway, and at 70 mph, a massive cloud of white smoke shot out the back of the car. It didn't make a noise like a pop, crack, or anything that I could hear.

The car still will run perfectly. (I rolled it off the freeway with the engine off) and turned it on and drove it home about 1.5 miles away. Engine did not blow, ran very smooth.

The huge cloud of smoke, I assume, came from oil being sprayed all over the exhaust manifolds.

I checked the oil level and it is basically bone dry.

I had it put on a tow truck to the local dealership.

Never heard of such a catastrophic oil leak. It literally emptied all of it.

Every hear of something like this?

eboggs_jkvl 03-10-2014 11:24 AM

That sounds truly disastrous! I've never heard of such a discharge of oil from the engine.

Elmer

KenHorse 03-10-2014 11:25 AM

Sounds like maybe the oil filter gasket failed? I had that happen to me many many years ago on a Honda

Wouldn't be unusual if it was overtightened....

JoesC5 03-10-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1586367235)
My baby (with only 11 miles on it) literally puked almost all of the oil out.

It puddled everywhere underneath the hood, sprayed the hood liner on the driver side, coated the entire undercarriage, and even coated the entire back of the car in oil. I was getting on the freeway, and at 70 mph, a massive cloud of white smoke shot out the back of the car. It didn't make a noise like a pop, crack, or anything that I could hear.

The car still will run perfectly. (I rolled it off the freeway with the engine off) and turned it on and drove it home about 1.5 miles away. Engine did not blow, ran very smooth.

The huge cloud of smoke, I assume, came from oil being sprayed all over the exhaust manifolds.

I had it put on a tow truck to the local dealership.

Never heard of such a catastrophic oil leak. It literally emptied all of it.

Every hear of something like this?

Is your car a Z51?

FLYNLO 03-10-2014 11:31 AM

...and just because it didn't register on the dipstick does not mean it was "bone dry". And be careful about how you express yourself reference "driving 1.5 miles" after saying it was bone dry. There could be warranty implications for continuing to drive it after you already knew something was very wrong.

mjw930 03-10-2014 11:35 AM

What did the oil pressure gauge show and did any service engine or oil warning lights come on?

From a previous post I'm assuming this is not a Z51.

Woodson 03-10-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1586367235)
drove it home about 1.5 miles away.

Uhhh. :smash: Just sayin'

Crossed Flags Fan 03-10-2014 11:52 AM

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!:(

SRQStingray 03-10-2014 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1586367439)

:iagree: Why in the hell would you drive it home? To make sure it was completely destroyed?

FLYNLO 03-10-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1586367439)

Which was my point ref the warranty implications.

C7pimp 03-10-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 1586367353)
What did the oil pressure gauge show and did any service engine or oil warning lights come on?

From a previous post I'm assuming this is not a Z51.

Correct, it is a Non-Z51.

The check engine light did NOT come on.

C7pimp 03-10-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by SRQStingray (Post 1586367470)
:iagree: Why in the hell would you drive it home? To make sure it was completely destroyed?

I was so close to home, all I could think of was to just limp it home and check it out. When it drove just fine, I guess I was a bit confused, in that weird mental state, and just drove it home.

Stupid, thinking back on it. Sometimes you just get into a mind set and go with it.

No flames, no smell, no CEL, temp gauge read normal, car drove fine, I zoned in to getting it home. Had oil not smoked off the exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't have had a clue anything was wrong.

C7pimp 03-10-2014 12:08 PM

And my driveway has the most horrible oil stain I've ever seen. It dripped off from all over the underside of the car, not just the engine bay area.

Gonna have to clean that up!

ATX-C7 03-10-2014 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1586367584)
And my driveway has the most horrible oil stain I've ever seen. It dripped off from all over the underside of the car, not just the engine bay area.

Gonna have to clean that up!

Plug still on? Filter in place? Any pics?

mjw930 03-10-2014 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1586367571)
I was so close to home, all I could think of was to just limp it home and check it out. When it drove just fine, I guess I was a bit confused, in that weird mental state, and just drove it home.

Stupid, thinking back on it. Sometimes you just get into a mind set and go with it.

No flames, no smell, no CEL, temp gauge read normal, car drove fine, I zoned in to getting it home. Had oil not smoked off the exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't have had a clue anything was wrong.

You didn't mention it but did your OIL GAUGE show pressure at all times?

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.

C7pimp 03-10-2014 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ATX-C7 (Post 1586367609)
Plug still on? Filter in place? Any pics?

No pics. Filter was there.

Hard to see under such a low car.

KenHorse 03-10-2014 12:49 PM

My money is still on the filter gasket.....

jsiddall 03-10-2014 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 1586367723)

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.

:iagree:

If the leak was on the way back to the pan and it never went dry then the oil pressure never dropped an no harm was done to the internals.

GOLD72 03-10-2014 12:50 PM

:iagree: If memory serves me, the engine is programmed to shut down on really low oil pressure so I am thinking there was still enough oil in the sump to get you home without oil pressure getting too low.

C7pimp 03-10-2014 12:56 PM

The oil light never came on, and the gauge, honestly, I didn't check while the car was still on because I just drove it home real quick, parked it, and pushed it when I had to move it. (Electronic parking brake is annoying as hell btw, lol)