CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted-58/)
-   -   Nice "62" For Sale in California (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted/3434392-nice-62-for-sale-in-california.html)

docent 03-12-2014 11:33 AM

Nice "62" For Sale in California

FYI guys - I live 10 minutes from "California Cars", which is in Thousand Oaks California. I stopped by, and saw this beautiful Red 62 last week. You can view the ad at www.Californiacars.com.
The car was clean, all around. It has the original steel wheels and caps, and the interior was really nice. The finders fee is a case of beer.

chevahaulic 03-13-2014 10:52 AM

At 70k I would sooner have the case of beer.. even though I don't drink. Very nice car but for the average middle age owner a bit strong on price. No rush, it will be there a while.

sidepipe seeker 03-13-2014 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by chevahaulic (Post 1586394020)
At 70k I would sooner have the case of beer.. even though I don't drink. Very nice car but for the average middle age owner a bit strong on price. No rush, it will be there a while.

Price is a "bit strong"....More like you'd have to be Hercules to move that car...huge difference between "optimistic" & "realistic"...Mark

biggd 03-13-2014 12:01 PM

Has anyone else noticed that C2's in Ca. tend to be priced higher than anywhere else in the country or is it just me?

sidepipe seeker 03-13-2014 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by biggd (Post 1586394629)
Has anyone else noticed that C2's in Ca. tend to be priced higher than anywhere else in the country or is it just me?

That's because of the Highly Coveted, "Supposed" "Rust Free California" cars!....I've lived in California ALL my Life...trust me, cars RUST in California...there's also a bridge for sale here!.....Mark

xarkey 03-13-2014 07:15 PM

Smog equipment, too.

CA has a strong (expensive) smog requirement which has always tacked a large amount on to prices. In addition you must get it smogged periodically depending on the year. I think cars made before 1967 are exempt. Anyone know the data on smog stuff?

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker (Post 1586395606)
That's because of the Highly Coveted, "Supposed" "Rust Free California" cars!....I've lived in California ALL my Life...trust me, cars RUST in California...there's also a bridge for sale here!.....Mark

sidepipe seeker 03-13-2014 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by xarkey (Post 1586398265)
CA has a strong (expensive) smog requirement which has always tacked a large amount on to prices. In addition you must get it smogged periodically depending on the year. I think cars made before 1967 are exempt. Anyone know the data on smog stuff?

Ask & yee shall receive...Mark

Effective 04/01/05: Under the old law, 1975 and subsequent model year vehicles became exempt from Smog Check when they turned 30 years old. A 1976 model year vehicle was exempt in 2005, a 1977 in 2006, etc.

Under the new law... commenced April 1, 2005, exempt from smog check requirements are any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year. All vehicles 1976 and newer vehicles will be tested according to state emission law. This law repeals the 30-year rolling exemption.

Vehicles with diesel engines, vehicles with two-cycle engines, vehicles with engines smaller than 50 cubic inches of displacement, electric vehicles, and motorcycles are exempt from the Smog Check program.

scottydogmd 03-16-2014 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by biggd (Post 1586394629)

Having lived in Southern California for many years: Lot's of discretionary income chasing those cars!

HHZ06 03-24-2014 11:49 PM

Everything is taxed higher here, including our cars.

xarkey 03-25-2014 09:30 PM

That is interesting about the taxes. Way back when I had an old Ferrari I took it to Ron Tonkin in Portland Ore. for service. I found out the over 100 of them were registered to his address. The CA State Franchise Board (Our IRS) came down on them big time. Now it is difficult to register out of state to avoid taxes unless you have a lot of documentation to support a residence outside CA.

biggd 03-26-2014 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by HHZ06 (Post 1586489043)
Everything is taxed higher here, including our cars.

How does that increase the value of the car? I understand that it costs more to drive one in CA but if you're selling it you can't expect a buyer to pay for your tax bill.:crazy2:

xarkey 03-26-2014 06:11 PM

Yeah. How does it?

Originally Posted by biggd (Post 1586498892)
How does that increase the value of the car? I understand that it costs more to drive one in CA but if you're selling it you can't expect a buyer to pay for your tax bill.:crazy2:

In CA everything is much more expensive. For ex. gasoline is taxed so high here that Oregonians come south to gas up to save more than 8% in sales tax and a whole lot more which tacked onto every gallon.
Which begs the question: If you buy a used car (Corvette) in CA how do you avoid the heavy 8% tax? I have bought and sold many many cars here and the way to get relief is this. If you are willing to buy the car, ask the owner to write up a bill of sale showing a number of dollars (price) you would be willing to pay a tax on. The DMV has lots of ways to verify the actual sale price but they have never questioned any of my transactions.
When registering the car, you now have a basis for stating...this is what I paid.
On this controversial issue I would like to hear from others. I am not advocating anything here, just discussing options.

sidepipe seeker 03-26-2014 06:29 PM

Here's possibly a helpful hint/suggestion. Purchase a AAA membership, because AAA offices have a DMV counter inside their buildings. Normally NEVER or a VERY short wait. The AAA employees are VERY friendly!!!...& I have NEVER been questioned about the amount I have ever purchased a car for...Mark

xarkey 03-26-2014 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker (Post 1586504647)
Here's possibly a helpful hint/suggestion. Purchase a AAA membership, because AAA offices have a DMV counter inside their buildings. Normally NEVER or a VERY short wait. The AAA employees are VERY friendly!!!...& I have NEVER been questioned about the amount I have ever purchased a car for...Mark

I am a member (25 years) and like you side pipe, I too have never been questioned. I don't think the DMV has the resources to go after sales and verify prices.

b_pappy 03-26-2014 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker (Post 1586398732)

Effective 04/01/05: Under the old law, 1975 and subsequent model year vehicles became exempt from Smog Check when they turned 30 years old. A 1976 model year vehicle was exempt in 2005, a 1977 in 2006, etc.

Under the new law... commenced April 1, 2005, exempt from smog check requirements are any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year. All vehicles 1976 and newer vehicles will be tested according to state emission law. This law repeals the 30-year rolling exemption.

Vehicles with diesel engines, vehicles with two-cycle engines, vehicles with engines smaller than 50 cubic inches of displacement, electric vehicles, and motorcycles are exempt from the Smog Check program.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a1980 vehicle which is increasingly difficult to smog. I am told it qualifies for "Historic Plates" which also exempts it from smog. Can anyone verify?

vettebuyer6369 03-26-2014 10:08 PM

If this were a member's car for sale thread, it sure would be a hijack... but why not start a new thread about this subject (or CA taxation, etc), so you can get some more input than the couple people who might see the question tacked on to this '62 For Sale thread? :cheers:

HHZ06 03-26-2014 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by biggd (Post 1586498892)

Our same frame and stucco homes sell for 10X the amount of most other states. Call it what you want but its still a Tax.

Wildmanht 04-01-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker (Post 1586398732)

Not sure if you copied and pasted this, but 2 years ago my DMV renewal for my 2002 F250 Diesel Truck said it was required for it to be smogged

sidepipe seeker 04-01-2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wildmanht (Post 1586554640)
Not sure if you copied and pasted this, but 2 years ago my DMV renewal for my 2002 F250 Diesel Truck said it was required for it to be smogged

Yes it was a "Copy & Paste". Is this the first time the DMV has required your truck to be smogged?...I wouldn't rely on DMV being correct in regards to your diesel truck having to be smogged, I would suggest you doing your own due diligence inquiry...Mark

biggd 04-01-2014 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by HHZ06 (Post 1586506637)
Our same frame and stucco homes sell for 10X the amount of most other states. Call it what you want but its still a Tax.

Not even close to being the same thing. A car can be moved to another state, a house stays where it is. I can understand people trying to get more but I don't understand people willing to pay more when you can buy one outside of CA cheaper.