CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Chrome wheels/ out of style or date? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3434463-chrome-wheels-out-of-style-or-date.html)

bontrager 03-12-2014 01:57 PM

Chrome wheels/ out of style or date?

About 7 weeks ago I purchased a Lemans Blue 2005 convertible.
The car came with polished aluminum wheels as an option.

In my humble opinion they do nothing to promote the color of the car.

One poster had mentioned that Lemans Blue really needed chrome to make the color "pop".

Just wondering if the general consensus is that "chrome" is dated or out of style. I had purchased ZR1 chrome wheel for my 2000 Torch Red vert of which I had received a number of compliments on the color combination.

Just wondering if a silver option would be better going forward.

here is a sample that I'm considering.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...lications.html

In machined silver;; would appreciate your opinions.

smackdownC6 03-12-2014 02:07 PM

Not at all. Polished pales in comparison.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2u91ypy.jpg

BWF07 03-12-2014 02:11 PM

Chrome is never dated. It has survived all of the wheel fades of the past and will continue to be popular. Nothing wrong with different colored wheels but some need the right color to pull them off. I know black wheels seen to be the in thing, but again they just don't work on certain colors. Plus if you don't keep the tires dressed to the same shade as the wheels and you let your wheel wells get dirty, then the whole area looks dirty.
I think the chrome will look fine on the car.

duckvett 03-12-2014 02:13 PM

"general consensus"?? On CorvetteForum? :toetap:

This debate has raged here for years - some like chrome wheels, some like black painted wheels and the two sides will never agree.

What do you like? Look at photos of LeMans Blue with chrome, polished, gray or black wheels. Decide which YOU like and go with it.

HarleyB 03-12-2014 02:16 PM

Before it was applied to the "War On Drugs" Nancy Reagan's phrase was:
"Just Say NO to Chrome!"

And that was a LONG time ago.:smash:

dvilin 03-12-2014 02:19 PM

:iagree: Well stated.

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1586386414)
Chrome is never dated. It has survived all of the wheel fades of the past and will continue to be popular. Nothing wrong with different colored wheels but some need the right color to pull them off. I know black wheels seen to be the in thing, but again they just don't work on certain colors. Plus if you don't keep the tires dressed to the same shade as the wheels and you let your wheel wells get dirty, then the whole area looks dirty.
I think the chrome will look fine on the car.

retaf 03-12-2014 02:26 PM

I'm old school and love chrome and don't really care what others think about it. In fact, I hate the looks of all black wheels and to be frank, I just don't get this carbon fiber look either! I've seen many corvettes I would have considered purchasing if not for the all black wheels and carbon fiber interior mods....

bontrager 03-12-2014 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by duckvett (Post 1586386431)
"general consensus"?? On CorvetteForum? :toetap:

This debate has raged here for years - some like chrome wheels, some like black painted wheels and the two sides will never agree.

What do you like? Look at photos of LeMans Blue with chrome, polished, gray or black wheels. Decide which YOU like and go with it.

Thank you. Can you direct me to a source that may show LeMans blue with different colored wheels?

bonnell 03-12-2014 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bontrager (Post 1586386277)
About 7 weeks ago I purchased a Lemans Blue 2005 convertible.
The car came with polished aluminum wheels as an option.

In my humble opinion they do nothing to promote the color of the car.

One poster had mentioned that Lemans Blue really needed chrome to make the color "pop".

Just wondering if the general consensus is that "chrome" is dated or out of style. I had purchased ZR1 chrome wheel for my 2000 Torch Red vert of which I had received a number of compliments on the color combination.

Just wondering if a silver option would be better going forward.

here is a sample that I'm considering.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...lications.html

In machined silver;; would appreciate your opinions.

Everyone has his or her own tastes. As for me, chrome compliments most colors and my next vette will have chrome. My two previous C6s has polished aluminum.:thumbs:

BWF07 03-12-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bontrager (Post 1586386565)
Thank you. Can you direct me to a source that may show LeMans blue with different colored wheels?

That is easy, just ask anyone with a Le Mans Blue to post pictures showing either chrome, black or comp gray wheels. People always like to show off their cars.

I voted for the chrome wheel, but take a look at a black chrome wheel. They have the chrome shine with the black tint to it. I have them on my Monterey Red and I get a lot of compliments.

saplumr 03-12-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by HarleyB (Post 1586386467)
Before it was applied to the "War On Drugs" Nancy Reagan's phrase was:
"Just Say NO to Chrome!"

And that was a LONG time ago.:smash:

She also said "black looks fabulous on LEO vehicles"

rocknroller 03-12-2014 02:57 PM

Ultimately I like the stock looking painted or brushed aluminum. I do much prefer chrome over black. My God I can't stand black wheels.

tascar7 03-12-2014 03:02 PM

EVERY TRUE hot rod has three things-

1. a 427 engine

2. a white cue ball shift knob

and

3. CHROME WHEELS!! :rock:

IMHBAO

:flag:

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...V112011007.jpg

richsteele 03-12-2014 03:04 PM

Check out the (C6) Official Lemans Blue Thread thread for ideas.
:cheers:

mpuzach 03-12-2014 03:06 PM

Personally, I think the polished wheels work great with LeMans Blue. Still, as others have already said it really comes down to your own personal taste. To me, chrome wheels are fine on a Buick or a Lexus but I'd never put them on a Corvette. YMMV.

ButWhatDoIKnow 03-12-2014 03:06 PM

They both look great. I've had bling on my SUV's and motorhome. :thumbs:
Chrome looks nice on luxury cars.:yesnod: They can't be out-of-date because you can get them on new Kias, Toyotas and Hondas.

I personally like black wheels on sports cars. :cool: The first Corvette's had painted wheels. I don't know when they first started putting chrome on them.

But as others have said; choose what you like. :cheers: You will have complements and detractors no matter what.

wayback 03-12-2014 03:17 PM

Yes overall chrome is out of date. Most upper end sports car do not use them. That said chrome looks good to me on certain colors and bad on others.

My preference is black or grey. But you should choose what you like best.......not what we say we like best. Who knows what you will end up with if you follow only what the forum likes. :willy::rofl::rofl:

joehenry 03-12-2014 03:18 PM

Go with the chrome. When I was a gear head in the 60's if you could not afford chrome you painted it black. LOL
But hey, do your own thing, it's your car.

wayback 03-12-2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by joehenry (Post 1586386964)
Go with the chrome. When I was a gear head in the 60's if you could not afford chrome you painted it black. LOL
But hey, do your own thing, it's your car.

That was true in the 60's.......welcome to 2014. :lol::lol:

bill K 03-12-2014 03:28 PM

I think the younger owners of Corvettes want black wheels. I think older Corvette owners want Chrome. My thoughts Both Look good, your choice.