CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (dash, door panels etc.) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/343672-whats-the-best-product-to-clean-vinyl-dash-door-panels-etc.html)

GrandSportC3 07-16-2002 03:50 PM

What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (dash, door panels etc.)

I wonder what product is the best to clean (not condition) vynil. I use Armor All but it really doesn't clean - only makes it shiny...

:cheers:

Olivier

BeachinVette 07-16-2002 03:55 PM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (GrandSportC3)

I use Black Magic. You can get it at Auto Zone. I love it stay's alot longer than armor all. It is pretty slippery though.

Bob

GrandSportC3 07-16-2002 03:59 PM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (76 Red)

I use Black Magic. You can get it at Auto Zone. I love it stay's alot longer than armor all. It is pretty slippery though.

Bob
Does it actually clean or only condition the vinyl??

Olivier

BeachinVette 07-16-2002 04:05 PM

I was not paying attention when I read your post it conditions.

Bob

1970 Dave 07-16-2002 10:22 PM

I have been using Simple Green and a 3M Scotch Brite Pad in Pink--then I use the Armor All--seems like it does a pretty nice job--others might have some other ideas.

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave

OkeeGuy 07-17-2002 02:07 AM

I wonder what product is the best to clean (not condition) vynil. I use Armor All but it really doesn't clean - only makes it shiny...

Olivier
I use Armor All Cleaner wipes THEN Armor All ...also Simple Green

Cory1970 07-17-2002 02:30 AM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (SIGNGUY)

I would stay away from Armor All because i have heard that it actualy soaks in your dash. And after time it can cause cracking.

Schmucker 07-17-2002 02:48 AM

Yeah, I would like to know also. I hate a shiny dash, but I like a clean one. Maybe just get a Swifter Wipe and get all the dust off like that. The reason I dislike a shiny dash is that for the next few days it reflects the sun onto the windshield and then it obstructs your vision.

GrandSportC3 07-17-2002 02:55 AM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (1970 Dave)

I have been using Simple Green and a 3M Scotch Brite Pad in Pink--then I use the Armor All--seems like it does a pretty nice job--others might have some other ideas.

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
Where can I get Simple Green and 3M Scotch Brite Pad? Discount Auto Parts?

Olivier

mikec79vet 07-17-2002 09:35 AM

When I purchased my car about 7 weeks ago, it was pretty dirty inside. I used the Armor All Cleaner wipes and they worked great. A little expensive though, of course it seem like I went through a lot of them, but it did the job.

GrandSportC3 07-17-2002 09:44 AM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (mikec79vet)

When I purchased my car about 7 weeks ago, it was pretty dirty inside. I used the Armor All Cleaner wipes and they worked great. A little expensive though, of course it seem like I went through a lot of them, but it did the job.
Do the major parts stores carry them?

Olivier

john's '81 mouse 07-17-2002 10:17 AM

Armor All used to make a cleaner available in a spray bottle, not the conditioner, but a cleaner, believe it came in a white colored bottle. Agree that simple green, available in auto parts stores, K-Mart, and Walmart ect., works well to clean. (use diluted with warm water)

erika1977 07-17-2002 10:26 AM

i've used "goo be gone", or any citrus based goo remover. works great, even gets all the black gunk off the steering wheel. gets into all the little pores on the dash, etc. but be careful, because citrus will eat foam. ruined a jet ski grab handle like that. :seeya

Gonzo 07-17-2002 10:28 AM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (john's '81 mouse)

I stated using Meguiers Natural shine, notas reflectiv with just one coat, and I wipe it down with a clean cloth afterwards. I hate that reflection in the windshield.

Gonzo

joe74 07-17-2002 10:35 AM

I just cleaned some "plastic " hard parts, i.e., pillar posts, etc and used
some "Soft Scrub" with a soft brush and it came out geat. Did a small area at a time, wiped with a damp rag than put Lemon Pledge on it.

It took all the grime out of the surface texture and looks good now.

GrandSportC3 07-17-2002 02:59 PM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (joe74)

I just cleaned some "plastic " hard parts, i.e., pillar posts, etc and used
some "Soft Scrub" with a soft brush and it came out geat. Did a small area at a time, wiped with a damp rag than put Lemon Pledge on it.

It took all the grime out of the surface texture and looks good now.

Where do I get "Soft Scrub"?

Olivier

The_Dude 07-17-2002 03:05 PM

I used to use armour all, but once, when I was having my Chevelle SS painted, my painter soundly chastised me for using armour all. :nono: He said it gets into your paint and makes repainting almost impossible because of the silicone. Since then, I never use silicone based products. I've also heard that silicone will promote cracking of the vinyl.

john's '81 mouse 07-17-2002 04:30 PM

Quote: "Where do I get "Soft Scrub"?"

Man, you must be single, or never have to do housework............Who cleans your bathroom???????

Softscrub is a product used for cleaning the fiberglass bathtubs and shower walls as well as sinks ect., it won't scratch surface like the old dry cleansers, like comet(sp?) will.

Buy it at grocery store, K-Mart, Target, Walley world............

GrandSportC3 07-17-2002 04:35 PM

Re: What's the best product to clean vinyl?? (john's '81 mouse)

Quote: "Where do I get "Soft Scrub"?"

Man, you must be single, or never have to do housework............Who cleans your bathroom???????

Softscrub is a product used for cleaning the fiberglass bathtubs and shower walls as well as sinks ect., it won't scratch surface like the old dry cleansers, like comet(sp?) will.

Buy it at grocery store, K-Mart, Target, Walley world............

My girlfriend takes care of the cleaning... I don't do too much in my household myself....

Olivier

Gonzo 07-17-2002 07:18 PM

My girlfriend takes care of the cleaning... I don't do too much in my household myself....

Olivier[/QUOTE]

Dang you must be from Maimi, How do I get my wife trained like that :D :D

Gonzo