CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Dewitts or Ron Davis for a C5? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3438996-dewitts-or-ron-davis-for-a-c5.html)

Olitho 03-21-2014 12:53 AM

Dewitts or Ron Davis for a C5?

My C5 has an LS3 engine now. I am racing it in GT2, T1 and ST2.

It is time for a new radiator. Should I go DeWitts or Ron Davis?

Is there any measurablecooling performance difference?

I don't need the integrated oil cooler(s) as I have separate units for the engine, tranny and diff.

waddisme 03-21-2014 08:59 AM

I have never heard anyone have issues with cooling with either. I have the DeWitts and have never had cooling issues. Was at VIR a couple of years ago when it was 105* and stroked motor did great. Last session on Sunday, there was only me and one Viper remaining for the whole session. Tom is on the forum here some, plus it seems his were $200 cheaper(?). Don't think you can go wrong with either one.

charger21 03-21-2014 10:01 AM

I went with Ron Davis:thumbs:

RX-Ben 03-21-2014 10:51 AM

Oli - how big is your dry sump tank?

ZedO6 03-21-2014 11:20 AM

The major difference I can see is DeWitt's uses a formed one piece end tank while Davis uses a fabricated and welded end tank. Less welds = better reliability. DeWitt's claims in house core brazing and full control of that process FWIW.

I got a better price from DeWitt's and they are forum sponsor, so I went with them.

Bad Karma 03-21-2014 11:30 AM

I went with Dewitts cost for return on how I am using it, it made the best sense.
Just Time Trial, HPDE, track days and dual street/track car, it was a perfect fit for me. Even without the EOC hooked I saw a drop in oil temp and obviously coolant temp on the track. If I was running wheel to wheel, long sessions, or endurance racing I would have seriously considered spending the extra on Ron Davis.

Here's probably a post that contains what you need to read direct from the horses mouth:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...s-dewitts.html

Olitho 03-21-2014 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by RX-Ben (Post 1586459809)
Oli - how big is your dry sump tank?

It is an Aviad tank, three gallons as I recall.

Bill Dearborn 03-21-2014 12:59 PM

Don't know the difrerences between them but I used a Ron Davis on my two C5s from 2000 into 2009 when I removed it to sell the car. Radiator cooled the car very well even too well for street driving in 40 degree weather. By the time the coolant got to the passenger side end tank where the oil cooler was located it was cold to the touch eventually added a thermostatic bypass valve to maintain oil temps in cold weather. I used a stock thermostat and even with 40 min track sessions in 90 deg weather the coolant temp stayed a constant 200 degrees. Right where you want it to be.

Bill

RX-Ben 03-21-2014 01:41 PM

The LMPC cars use a 3gal tank so that should be enough. You have 2 or 3 vacuum stages on your dry sump pump?

froggy47 03-21-2014 01:41 PM

Dewitts here, but they are both excellent from what I hear.

:thumbs:

vinniemc 03-21-2014 02:50 PM

Take a look at champion radiators, I use one in my C4 and love it. Does the same thing as the expensive radiators at a fraction of the cost. Build quality is shockingly good.

mgarfias 03-21-2014 02:55 PM

My Ron Davis is pure art. I would buy again in a heart beat.

ScaryFast 03-21-2014 05:08 PM

I have had three Dewitt's on street and race cars and they are fantastic. It doesn't hurt that they are up the road from me so I don't incur shipping costs.

I installed a Ron Davis that I picked up from a fellow forum member on the new car, but have not run it yet to compare.

As far as aesthetics, the DeWitt pieces are beautiful. Too bad they're mostly out of sight under the hood.

Olitho 03-21-2014 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by RX-Ben (Post 1586461091)
The LMPC cars use a 3gal tank so that should be enough. You have 2 or 3 vacuum stages on your dry sump pump?

3 stage.

Tom@Dewitt 03-21-2014 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Olitho (Post 1586457893)
My C5 has an LS3 engine now. I am racing it in GT2, T1 and ST2. It is time for a new radiator. Should I go DeWitts or Ron Davis?.

Both these companies use high quality cores that are Made in the USA and that means a lot more than just being patriotic. The radiators that you will find at "a fraction of the cost" are also a fraction of the quality. Thinner materials are used and brazing quality is inconsistant with the imported cores. This is something that you cannot see with the naked eye because all radiators will look the same.

All products have different classes of quality & price, and they do the same thing. You can buy a 15" laptop for $300 to $3000. You can buy a SUV for $30k or $100k, but anyone that says they are the same is just an idiot.

When it comes to Aluminum Radiators, I feel the two companies you named here are Top Shelf and you can't go wrong with either one.

sleeper02Z06 03-22-2014 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt (Post 1586463482)
Both these companies use high quality cores that are Made in the USA and that means a lot more than just being a patriotic. The radiators that you will find at "a fraction of the cost" are also a fraction of the quality. Thinner materials are used and brazing quality is inconsistant with the imported cores. This is something that you cannot see with the naked eye because all radiators will look the same.

All products have different classes of quality & price, and they do the same thing. You can buy a 15" laptop for $300 to $3000. You can buy a SUV for $30k or $100k, but anyone that says they are the same is just an idiot.

When it comes to Aluminum Radiators, I feel the two companies you named here are Top Shelf and you can't go wrong with either one.

Great response.

FWIW I have had a Ron Davis in the car since we built it in late 2005. Same one. It's been perfect to the point I never even think about it. With the abuse from track crap hitting it all the time a radiator in a race car needs to be robust, tough. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Hi Volts Z06 03-22-2014 08:16 AM

I've run both and found that both are a quality piece. What found was even more important was having a good water pump. After switching to the Evans Racing Water Pump I found the most dramatic drop in temps. They take the time to engineer your pump for racing and it makes a HUGE difference. As Vette guys, I think we have been led to believe that high temps are the norm but I've finally found that doesn't need to be the case.

heypal 03-22-2014 12:57 PM

Oli, I'm running a Dewitts and loving it. It did amazing last year and WSIR when it was like 100+ outside.

Pumba 03-22-2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by charger21 (Post 1586459408)
I went with Ron Davis:thumbs:

:iagree:

Tom@Dewitt 03-22-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pumba (Post 1586469701)
:iagree:

Pumba,
Aren't you the guy that installed about a dozen DeWitts Radiators for the local club Corvettes America?

:crazy2: