CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   From a Miata's perspective (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3442044-from-a-miatas-perspective.html)

Jawnathin 03-26-2014 04:12 PM

From a Miata's perspective

Just wanted to share a clip my friend made at our recent track day this past weekend. Not a knock against Miatas at all, I'm a huge fan, used to own one, but just thought it was a little funny to see how it happens from his/their perspective when we share the track.

Friend is in his Miata and I'm in the Z06. Friend is a very talented driver, but I think I might have a slight hp advantage. :lol:

mountainbiker2 03-26-2014 06:39 PM

That cracks me up. :D I decided a long time ago, if you want to go fast, you have to buy fast. Then work on your talent.

Steve

BrianCunningham 03-26-2014 06:55 PM

Need to share that one :)

dvandentop 03-26-2014 07:47 PM

LOL nice vid sure walked em on the straight

ZedO6 03-26-2014 11:37 PM

Not your typical Miata pass...:rofl:

StKnoWhere 03-26-2014 11:59 PM

:rock: I've been on both sides of this one, having something for the right foot to do is better :rock:

Bluefire 03-27-2014 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jawnathin (Post 1586503484)
Just wanted to share a clip my friend made at our recent track day this past weekfrequent Not a knock against Miatas at all, I'm a huge fan, used to own one, but just thought it was a little funny to see how it happens from his/their perspective when we share the track.

Friend is in his Miata and I'm in the Z06. Friend is a very talented driver, but I think I might have a slight hp advantage. :lol:

Hahaha. My co-worker runs a BMW 135i and I run my highly modified 03 Coupe during our HPDE days. He gives me the point-bys. A few times I've also noticed the middle finger raised in my rear view mirror. :rofl:

Ruby6spd 03-27-2014 08:08 AM

Do you guys have data to compare?

I'd be curious to see who is really faster and who has more hp under their right foot when the track gets straight....

Mig233 03-27-2014 08:30 AM

I found so much satisfaction in blowing by liter bikes on my little 600.

parsonsj 03-27-2014 11:21 AM

thanks for sharing... that was hilarious.

E-Emmons 03-27-2014 11:56 AM

Great video. My brother drives a miata and I drive a c5z at track days. My brother is a much faster driver but doesn't have the power. That's what it usually looks like.

My brother and I always get a kick out of the below video:

Mark2009 03-27-2014 12:42 PM

I'd say that's 10/10ths :D

That GT40 driver better get ready with a point by :rofl:

Jawnathin 03-27-2014 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2 (Post 1586504714)
That cracks me up. :D I decided a long time ago, if you want to go fast, you have to buy fast. Then work on your talent.

Steve

I hear ya, having power like a V8 is pretty amazing. Though the great thing about lower HP cars like a Miata is it trains you to maintain momentum, otherwise you're not going anywhere. Having one years back, I learned a lot from it and makes having a higher HP car even more satisfying.

As much as I love our high HP cars, there is something special about the purity of a nimble and light car like a Miata. You really have to drive the wheels off of that car to keep up and that is a ton of fun.

Originally Posted by ZedO6 (Post 1586507232)
Not your typical Miata pass...:rofl:

:eek:

Glad he kept it on the course!

Originally Posted by Bluefire (Post 1586507847)
Hahaha. My co-worker runs a BMW 135i and I run my highly modified 03 Coupe during our HPDE days. He gives me the point-bys. A few times I've also noticed the middle finger raised in my rear view mirror. :rofl:

:lol:

Those 135is are no joke. Pretty quick. Go a coworker that tracks his, I need to see what his schedule is like and head out with him sometime. His is all tricked out with some bigger brakes and all that.

Originally Posted by Ruby6spd (Post 1586508495)
Do you guys have data to compare?

I'd be curious to see who is really faster and who has more hp under their right foot when the track gets straight....

Sorry, no data or telemetry, other than some basic lap times, but that doesn't tell you what you're looking for. I have some anecdotal feedback to share.

This video was during our first session and I was taking it a bit easy getting familiar to the car on track. I've been on this track with another car before, but it was my first HPDE with this car, first drive on these tires, and first drive on that alignment, so that was what I called a 'discovery session'. Just getting familiar with the behavior of the car and working my way up, so my braking was way early and I was leaving a little extra on the table in case I needed to correct. In no way that was 10/10ths.

We both dialed it up and got more aggressive later in the day. We took ride alongs in each other's car in the later sessions and we probably pull very similar amounts of lateral G. It always feels faster when in the passenger seat, but I think we were pretty close. During other sessions when we were next to each other, neither of us were pulling away from each other during turns, but I had the power to make a pass once it started to open up. To his credit, I've got a wider tire and stickier compound, so I should have been able to carry more speed through some of the steady state corners. He was on the brakes later than I was, but I knew I was braking early as I was feeling the car out. So while I was have quicker around the course overall, I believe he was getting more out of his car than I was getting out mine. He is a good driver and his car is setup really well.

My goal for this event was to get familiar and used to the car's behavior, characteristics, and identify where I need to improve for my next outing. I felt like I accomplished all of that.

My goal for my next day is to dial up the aggression. Brake later and hold more lateral G. I think I have some time to save there.

Originally Posted by E-Emmons (Post 1586510386)
Great video. My brother drives a miata and I drive a c5z at track days. My brother is a much faster driver but doesn't have the power. That's what it usually looks like.

VMAX Armageddon MX5 Slide - YouTube

Wow! What a hell of a pass. I'll have to share that with my friend :lol:

Bluefire 03-27-2014 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jawnathin (Post 1586512309)

:lol:

Those 135is are no joke. Pretty quick. Go a coworker that tracks his, I need to see what his schedule is like and head out with him sometime. His is all tricked out with some bigger brakes and all that.

:yesnod: They are quick. He stays right with me to ~80 mph. Then he starts to fade away.

Some fun stuff. :thumbs:

Ruby6spd 03-27-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jawnathin (Post 1586512309)

Sorry, no data or telemetry, other than some basic lap times, but that doesn't tell you what you're looking for. I have some anecdotal feedback to share.

This video was during our first session and I was taking it a bit easy getting familiar to the car on track. I've been on this track with another car before, but it was my first HPDE with this car, first drive on these tires, and first drive on that alignment, so that was what I called a 'discovery session'. Just getting familiar with the behavior of the car and working my way up, so my braking was way early and I was leaving a little extra on the table in case I needed to correct. In no way that was 10/10ths.

We both dialed it up and got more aggressive later in the day. We took ride alongs in each other's car in the later sessions and we probably pull very similar amounts of lateral G. It always feels faster when in the passenger seat, but I think we were pretty close. During other sessions when we were next to each other, neither of us were pulling away from each other during turns, but I had the power to make a pass once it started to open up. To his credit, I've got a wider tire and stickier compound, so I should have been able to carry more speed through some of the steady state corners. He was on the brakes later than I was, but I knew I was braking early as I was feeling the car out. So while I was have quicker around the course overall, I believe he was getting more out of his car than I was getting out mine. He is a good driver and his car is setup really well.

My goal for this event was to get familiar and used to the car's behavior, characteristics, and identify where I need to improve for my next outing. I felt like I accomplished all of that.

It would be interesting to overlay the two different cars to see where the gains and losses are.. Looking the video can see the brake zones are different but really seeing the time distance graphs would be cool.

GeorgeZNJ 03-27-2014 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by E-Emmons (Post 1586510386)

VMAX Armageddon MX5 Slide - YouTube

:D great vid

Bill32 03-27-2014 10:08 PM

I raced Miata's there twice in the 25 Hour Endurance Race.

The sessions were 1 1/2 hours long.

Sorry but, I was bored with the car after one lap.

seong 03-29-2014 06:00 PM

Thanks for the great video. Loved it. :D

redtopz 03-29-2014 07:57 PM

Here I am in my 400 hp vette at the same track. Except I'm more like a miata against this twin turbo porsche...

ZedO6 03-29-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by redtopz (Post 1586530487)
Here I am in my 400 hp vette at the same track. Except I'm more like a miata against this twin turbo porsche...

Nice drive!