CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Unreal, rear ended by an 88 year old! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3447424-unreal-rear-ended-by-an-88-year-old.html)

Swath 04-05-2014 05:05 PM

Unreal, rear ended by an 88 year old!

5 Attachment(s)
Can't believe it, took the car out for the first real drive (only had 100 miles on it) and some 88 year old lady making a right turn drives right into the back of my car!!! I was stopped behind two others when she hit me.

Seriously wonder if she even knew I was there before the crash.

So knowing this will go on the vehicle history I'm going to sue for loss of value. The real question is, what hit did I just take? Can't see it being less than $10K minimum.

SnowyATX 04-05-2014 05:09 PM

Oh man....makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

So sorry for you. Hang in there.

Zymurgy 04-05-2014 05:10 PM

That damage is minor and any decent body shop will have it looking as good as new. Come time to trade-in or private sale, I don't think you're going to take much of a hit at all.

air86 04-05-2014 05:14 PM

It will buff right out.

On a serious note I'm sorry you got hit. This goes to show why older people need to be reevaluated to keep their licenses.

How fast did she hit you. Hopefully there won't be much damage internally and maybe be able to restore the bumper without replacing. I see the wheel well plastic damage but that shouldn't be that much and then the bumper looks pretty scratched but I am sure they have magic to restore it.

As for the loss I would go to a collision repair shop get an appraisal and see what the damage is financially.

redshift1 04-05-2014 05:17 PM

Hard to tell from the pictures i've seen worse damage on other cars repaired for 4-5K.

Shortimer 04-05-2014 05:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm hoping you were not injured.
I'm concerned about something similar happening to me when I'm on the road. So many drivers, old and young, out there not paying any attention to their driving. I'm always watching my mirrors when I'm stopped in traffic.
Hopefully the repairs will be done to your satisfaction and you'll move on. :cheers:

truckin-on 04-05-2014 05:23 PM

Fixing it is not the issue. The elephant in the living room is that it will get reported as having been in an accident on CarFax. This totally sucks when it comes to re-sale as all the nervous Nelly's out there (and dealers) will refuse to touch a car without a "clean" CarFax. It used to be that you looked at a car, and if you couldn't see any visible damage, you were good to go. No longer. I had a deer hit on my wife's Oddysey, and what a PITA to sell it as it no longer had a clean CarFax. I don't know what you can do as far as recourse, but the re-sale value of the car has been seriously damaged in my opinion, REGARDLESS of how well it's repaired. This can clearly be documented by looking at the sale prices of cars with, and without, clean CarFax reports. I think insurance payments need to start taking this into account, but it's unlikely...

rsvette12 04-05-2014 05:24 PM

That wont show up on carfax not enough damage - sorry to hear it - I got rear ended by a woman yesturday on my way home from work - thank God it was my winter vehicle a durango - not my C7

"that it will get reported as having been in an accident on CarFax."

It should not as I had about the same damage on my last C6 and when I sold it He did a carfax - came up as perfect.

b4i4getit 04-05-2014 05:32 PM

That is pretty minor damage. Take it to a decent repair shop and it will be good as new. :thumbs:

C7 4 Me 04-05-2014 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Swath (Post 1586586081)
Can't believe it, took the car out for the first real drive (only had 100 miles on it) and some 88 year old lady making a right turn drives right into the back of my car!!! I was stopped behind two others when she hit me.

Oof that sucks, sorry to hear that.

So knowing this will go on the vehicle history I'm going to sue for loss of value.

You'll spend more in time, money and court/filing fees than you'll recoup. You also run the high risk of a judge shrugging at you and telling you that you have no damages because insurance is repairing your car.

It's your choice, but I'd skip suing the old lady and instead just file your insurance claim and move on. It'll save you several headaches.

Swath 04-05-2014 05:33 PM

I was stopped, she turned and moved about 30 yards to hit me. It was a decent hit but the car absorbed so much of it. When you look the panels moved a lot but that's the beauty of them being so flexible, it absorbed everything.

My issue is the check engine light came on after and being the right rear that's where the battery and I believe one of the computers is. Also one of the coolers is inside there as well.

While externally it looks cosmetic, I won't be surprised when it's $5K for repairs.

So here's the deal, the dealer said he could flip my car being new for $10K over list (remember this is Canada, land of the limited number of C7's) about a month ago. No way anyone willing to pay that wants it now. I'll be getting a trade in value from them on Monday as well as a letter about what they could have gotten before.

ATX-C7 04-05-2014 05:38 PM

Her insurance needs to pay up--huge loss of value.

I'll say it again, anytime there's body damage, you will take a serious hit on resale. First question on trade "ever been in a wreck or have body damage"? No matter how insignificant, it will impact you. Get her insurance to pay up big time.

88 year olds don't need to be driving :hide:

Sorry you're having to deal with this so early into your C7 ownership.

b4i4getit 04-05-2014 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Swath (Post 1586586239)
I was stopped, she turned and moved about 30 yards to hit me. It was a decent hit but the car absorbed so much of it. When you look the panels moved a lot but that's the beauty of them being so flexible, it absorbed everything.

My issue is the check engine light came on after and being the right rear that's where the battery and I believe one of the computers is. Also one of the coolers is inside there as well.

While externally it looks cosmetic, I won't be surprised when it's $5K for repairs.

So here's the deal, the dealer said he could flip my car being new for $10K over list (remember this is Canada, land of the limited number of C7's) about a month ago. No way anyone willing to pay that wants it now. I'll be getting a trade in value from them on Monday as well as a letter about what they could have gotten before.

Once it is repaired it is still a used vehicle but it has been repaired. Yes you will lose money on it. However why are you sweating about it ? Say you trade it in and get another. You could still have an accident or some sort of damage and be in the same situation again. I say get it repaired and get on with it. It is still a nice car.

golfbone 04-05-2014 05:47 PM

Yeah this really sucks and nothing anyone says is going to fix your car or make your problem disappear.

What I can say to you is this:

You are probably going to keep this car for a few years.....maybe 5 or 6?

In that case it doesn't really matter if this happened with 100miles on the odometer or 35000 miles on the odometer. It's almost impossible to have a car for 5 or 6 years and have NOTHING happen to it. It's always going to be something.

My 2008 c6 Vette was in a parking lot incident where I was backing out and somebody came along and I backed into them. I had to have the rear bumper painted which was no big deal but there was a positive car fax. Did it hurt me? Not much. I got 50% of what I paid for it new 6.5 years earlier when I traded it in just recently and the carfax report only cost me maybe 1K off what I would have gotten (if that). The car held it's value beautifully. 50% return on a 6.5 year old car with 45K miles isn't shabby on a trade in (especially since I got a friends and family discount on the new one!)

So your car will be fixed, It will look like brand new. If you keep it for a while you will completely forget about this and when it comes to trade it in you probably will have already had one or two more little dings or benders that need to be fixed so your carfax report wouldn't have been perfectly clean anyway. Most of them aren't

Feel better

slief 04-05-2014 05:50 PM

Keep your pictures to show it was minor. While it will likely show up on Carfax, the fact that you have it documented coupled with the fact that the damage is superficial limited primarily the to lower rear fascia would lend me to believe that there really won't be any real loss in value. The only issue I can see is that you may eliminate a few buyers down the line. I had a similar issue that turned up on my carfax after I bought my 09 Z06. The dealer I bought it from represented the car as a no accident car and I even had their sales video showing that. Apparently the car was involved in a minor collision in which it was rear ended. What ever damage there was, was minimal and we could not ever determine that it was ever in a body shop. My guess is that any damage was limited to the lower rear fascia. None the less, while I lost one potential buyer, I was able to sell the car for what I was asking and get very fair high market value for a car that was impeccably maintained and in excellent condition. As such, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry too much but you certainly are within your rights to negotiate a fair settlement with the other drivers insurance company.

A bit of advice. You could tell their insurance carrier that your neck hurts but you have your own medical insurance. They will be very quick to settle with you.

C7 4 Me 04-05-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Swath (Post 1586586239)

Unsure how canadian law works, but you'd have a very tough time suing her here in the US. Her insurance company will make you "whole" meaning your car is fully repaired and, even if you can establish that it has dropped in trade in value by a certain amount (your damages) - you wouldn't 'recognize' those damages until you traded your car in, so you wouldn't be able to recoup anything prior to having actually trading the car.

The amount of trade-in value loss, now, is more than it would be at whatever time down the road you actually decide to trade in, so your damages are difficult to determine.

ATX-C7 04-05-2014 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by slief (Post 1586586366)

A bit of advice. You could tell their insurance carrier that your neck hurts but you have your own medical insurance. They will be very quick to settle with you.

:thumbs:

DON'T TALK TO HER INSURANCE CO. Let YOUR insurance company talk to them OR your attorney.

golfbone 04-05-2014 05:54 PM

One more bit of advice. Have the car fixed at the dealer you think you might want to trade the car into when you get your next Vette. That helped me because the dealer knew exactly how minor my damage was and they were comfortable giving me almost full value on the trade whereas another dealer was spooked.

fredl11 04-05-2014 05:57 PM

Thats what

Originally Posted by redshift1 (Post 1586586142)
Hard to tell from the pictures i've seen worse damage on other cars repaired for 4-5K.

:iagree:

was thinking UNLESS there are Part Constraints

3 Z06ZR1 04-05-2014 05:57 PM

Seriously wonder if she even knew I was there before the crash.

So knowing this will go on the vehicle history I'm going to sue for loss of value. The real question is, what hit did I just take? Can't see it being less than $10K minimum.

With only 100 miles on it! I would drive it to her insurance company and inform
them they "just bought it". Leave the car,key fobs and all stuff with them.
Including the payment book if you have one!

They killed your resale! I played hard ball once with one that left turned in front of me.
I flat said it will not be fixed and I need a check! It took about 6 months of sitting in the driveway
and the check came
and they let me have it for salvage value. I sold it two days later and made another 2000 grand.

I carry cost replacement on my own car polices. I totaled a 2008 car in 2010
they paid me for a NEW 2011!