CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   LAUNCH CONTROL - Virgin asking for advice. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3455191-launch-control-virgin-asking-for-advice.html)

Stickshiftsteve 04-19-2014 03:27 PM

LAUNCH CONTROL - Virgin asking for advice.

Itching to try out the Launch Control - but a bit unsure of what to expect.
So if you have done this before - PLEASE let me know!
Do the tires scream a lot - & is there a danger of the rear sliding out?
Do you shift into 2nd or end the launch when 1st tops out?
Is it any faster off the line - than flooring an auto with the nannies on?
Do you do this often - or has this been just a one time thrill?
Anything else I need to know - before I break my cherry?

racerxrick 04-19-2014 04:07 PM

Yes
Yes/No
Yes/No
Yes
No!
No

tprice 04-19-2014 04:25 PM

Keep itching to it on mine but so far almost a year ownership and have not let it loose yet

Power Hawk 04-19-2014 04:46 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. Glad you asked and I appreciate the info. I have yet to try it either. I have only had my 2013 about a month.

Stickshiftsteve 04-19-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Power Hawk (Post 1586698689)
I've been wondering the same thing. Glad you asked and I appreciate the info. I have yet to try it either. I have only had my 2013 about a month.

Thanks. I've had mine almost 3 years & at 8,000 miles (11,000km) - I figured was about time I tried it out. Let's hope I get some good advice.

TerryL 04-19-2014 04:55 PM

Make sure you have enough room to spin the car in a circle. No narrow lanes for a first timer. Big empty parking lots with NO curbs are good. Remember there is proper 'correcting' and over correcting. Over correcting spins the car in the opposite direction too much causing you to try that again which usually means you've run out of road and are about to hit the ditch or curb or the car next to you or.....get the idea?:yesnod:

Power Hawk 04-19-2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by TerryL (Post 1586698737)
Make sure you have enough room to spin the car in a circle. No narrow lanes for a first timer. Big empty parking lots with NO curbs are good. Remember there is proper 'correcting' and over correcting. Over correcting spins the car in the opposite direction too much causing you to try that again which usually means you've run out of road and are about to hit the ditch or curb or the car next to you or.....get the idea?:yesnod:

Good advise. Thank you. I will find the appropriate area for the first few tries.

vetten76 04-19-2014 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by tprice (Post 1586698582)
Keep itching to it on mine but so far almost a year ownership and have not let it loose yet

Me too.

DillingerRadio 04-19-2014 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stickshiftsteve (Post 1586698227)
Itching to try out the Launch Control - but a bit unsure of what to expect.
So if you have done this before - PLEASE let me know!
Do the tires scream a lot - & is there a danger of the rear sliding out?

No and Yes. Tires don't scream too much, and there's not a huge chance of the rear kicking out but it's still possible.

Do you shift into 2nd or end the launch when 1st tops out?

Shift into second as normal.

Is it any faster off the line - than flooring an auto with the nannies on?

No idea, haven't seen the two compared side by side.

Do you do this often - or has this been just a one time thrill?

Every chance I get.

Anything else I need to know - before I break my cherry?

As pointed out, be in a "safe" area (wide open, no curbs or other barriers). Make sure you've got plenty of space in front of you too, since you'll be going forward fast.

Launch control rev-limits at around 4k RPM for the launch, which is the sweet spot for our cars. There's just enough tire spin to make you grab traction quickly and the RPM level is right at a good level for making speed. After you launch, shift as usual to maintain speed. Presuming you don't wildly jerk the steering wheel, the likelihood of you spinning out or otherwise losing control is pretty low. Think of it like a mild burnout into a sprint, no big deal.

The reason for the tire spin is speed, starting from dead stop or too low RPMs takes too long to get the tires moving so you're slower (regardless of the traction). Starting too fast makes the tires spin too much, without giving you any traction so you're slower (regardless of the higher RPM). Starting in a Corvette, thanks to the big fat tires, is best achieved with a small amount of tire spin into traction.

Power Hawk 04-19-2014 06:37 PM

Thanks folks. Keep the advise coming. I have a feeling I am going to loose my cherry soon. :thumbs:

*Trip* 04-19-2014 07:04 PM

Im due for a test myself........just seems so counterintuitive to WOT before a launch and to keep it there thru the entire run......

hawkgfr 04-19-2014 07:17 PM

Its big let down and I don't think its more efficient either...otherwise the biggest deal is will the rev limiter work lol which it won't of you don't do all the steps in the right sequence....after that its feels like the clutch is slipping as the nannies try and limit the wheel spin though I think it modulates throttle etc...

Vetteblonde 04-19-2014 07:46 PM

I love launch control. Go for it!!!

R50THC5 04-19-2014 07:52 PM

Google corvette launch control...several good u-tubes

Stickshiftsteve 04-19-2014 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by R50THC5 (Post 1586699805)
Google corvette launch control...several good u-tubes

Thanks! Yes I looked earlier & saw a few launch videos.
But nothing like hearing 1st hand from an experienced user.
I trust this forum - WAY more than some YouTube posers!

vetten76 04-19-2014 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stickshiftsteve (Post 1586699870)
Thanks! Yes I looked earlier & saw a few launch videos.
But nothing like hearing 1st hand from an experienced user.
I trust this forum - WAY more than some YouTube posers!

Good lord. You are new!

Stickshiftsteve 04-19-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by vetten76 (Post 1586700102)
Good lord. You are new!

Yes - I'll take 1st hand personal advice from a Corvette enthusiast - over anything I see posted on Y-boob.

gsxrguy84 04-19-2014 11:41 PM

Is launch control a feature that is only available for 2010+ models? I read something to that effect previously. I'm not aware of any launch control on my 2008.

Stickshiftsteve 04-19-2014 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by gsxrguy84 (Post 1586701259)
Is launch control a feature that is only available for 2010+ models? I read something to that effect previously. I'm not aware of any launch control on my 2008.

Can't answer that - but is on my 6 spd '11.

Johnathon59 04-20-2014 12:07 AM

I have done the "Launch " with my '13 GS manual on deserted roads & vacant parking lots, it is somewhat safe as long as nothing is around you, I'm on my original Good Years & when I replace them I will probably no longer do burn outs "Launch Control" is a built in feature of the car but can become unsafe if you do not use common sense. the rear end does a pretty good job of staying straight but there is always the chance of fishtailing !!:thumbs: