CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   HELP.... steady squeel coming from FR wheel area (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3458827-help-steady-squeel-coming-from-fr-wheel-area.html)

KJ08 04-25-2014 08:23 PM

HELP.... steady squeel coming from FR wheel area

Ive checked.. it is not the brake pads and the rotors seem to be dead straight to the naked eye. Wheel bearing?? Any and all information greatly appreciated.

WW7 04-25-2014 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by KJ08 (Post 1586750638)
Ive checked.. it is not the brake pads and the rotors seem to be dead straight to the naked eye. Wheel bearing?? Any and all information greatly appreciated.

The only things it could be are the Brake pads, wheel bearing, or rotor...You've already eliminated one of the three....:D..Jack up the car and see if you have any play in the bearing by rocking the wheel left to right , and top to bottom.. Any play at all and it's wheel bearing time...A warped rotor you should be able to feel in the brake pedal....:yesnod:....WW

KJ08 04-25-2014 08:37 PM

Thanks WW7!! Ive only had this car 5 days and it only has 65k original miles. Completely bone stock and driven quite conservatively. I'll be jacking her up first thing tom. If the wheel bearing hub assembly needs to go.. can you recommend a quality brand replacement? How much am I looking at shelling out? Thanks again.

WW7 04-25-2014 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by KJ08 (Post 1586750741)
Thanks WW7!! Ive only had this car 5 days and it only has 65k original miles. Completely bone stock and driven quite conservatively. I'll be jacking her up first thing tom. If the wheel bearing hub assembly needs to go.. can you recommend a quality brand replacement? How much am I looking at shelling out? Thanks again.

One of the better bearings is made by "Timken" , they will run about $150.00 to $160.00 at most stores, not cheap but they last alot longer then the imported stuff... Just stay away from cheap Chinese bearings at places like ebay, Advance auto, Auto zone, etc.. You do get what you pay for...:thumbs:..

KJ08 04-25-2014 08:57 PM

Thanks. I will look them up. Going to get to the bottom of this tom!! Is it likely a bearing (or God forbid a U joint) to go out with only 65k on the ticker?? I have driven it for 4 days but this sound just started. Grrrr!!

KJ08 04-25-2014 09:17 PM

Absolutely... will do. I'm anxious to get the wheels back off. Wish it wasnt already dark ! Lol

Cruizin 04-26-2014 02:41 AM

Some disc pads have a metal warning strip that rubs against the rotor to signify your pads need replacing. They will squeal loudly on the road and lightly as you rotate the wheel. Can be hard to see without removing the wheel and eyeballing the pads.

65Z01 04-26-2014 08:23 AM

When a U-joint in my RR half-shaft went out it gave a clicking sound on acceleration, no squeel.