CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Corvette Convertibles in Low Demand (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3462535-corvette-convertibles-in-low-demand.html)

LIStingray 05-02-2014 04:19 PM

Corvette Convertibles in Low Demand

It looks like the big Corvette dealers (Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Criswell) have very few Coupes in stock and no discounts on them, while they have a lot of Convertibles offered with discounts.
Are the Convertibles selling at much lower rate than expected demand?

NoOne 05-02-2014 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by LIStingray (Post 1586805905)
It looks like the big Corvette dealers (Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Criswell) have very few Coupes in stock and no discounts on them, while they have a lot of Convertibles offered with discounts.

Still no Z51 convertibles.

When I went to pick up my car they had a lot of 'verts. I had ordered mine but would have bought a vert off the lot if they had a Z51 manual.

9 of them, not a single one Z51.

redshift1 05-02-2014 04:35 PM

Everything points in that direction, the coupe made the fastest selling list for April but no mention of the vert. If the anticipated warm weather demand evaporates then dealers will need to move the excess verts with some inducements.

c5eddiem 05-02-2014 05:17 PM

Or perhaps, the big dealers you mentioned are mostly in the northern half of the country where there are less Verts in general.

Here in CT, I don't drive my Vettes in the winter, whether it's a convertible or not, so I decided why not enjoy a Vert this time around... and it's a lot easier to go topless! :D

Plus, they made the Premier Edition as a convertible in LRG, and that color hasn't been breaking any records.

Plus, the coupes had almost a 6 month head start. Time for some research: what's the coupe-to-convertible ratio in past years?

Enjoy your Vette, coupe or vert!
Ed

Dave@Ciocca 05-02-2014 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by NoOne (Post 1586805958)

When I went to pick up my car they had a lot of 'verts. I had ordered mine but would have bought a vert off the lot if they had a Z51 manual.

We have 25 Z51 Convertibles in stock right now with at least $2,000 off MSRP! :rock:

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbe...ette_inventory

Dave

c5eddiem 05-02-2014 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1586806311)
We have 25 Z51 Convertibles in stock right now with at least $2,000 off MSRP! :rock:

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbe...ette_inventory

Dave

Dave,

Any thoughts on the coupe-to-convertible ratio in the past few years?

Ed

Zymurgy 05-02-2014 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by c5eddiem (Post 1586806303)
Or perhaps, the big dealers you mentioned are mostly in the northern half of the country where there are less Verts in general.

Here in CT, I don't drive my Vettes in the winter, whether it's a convertible or not, so I decided why not enjoy a Vert this time around... and it's a lot easier to go topless! :D

Plus, they made the Premier Edition as a convertible in LRG, and that color hasn't been breaking any records.

Plus, the coupes had almost a 6 month head start. Time for some research: what's the coupe-to-convertible ratio in past years?

Enjoy your Vette, coupe or vert!
Ed

Here you go:

Dave@Ciocca 05-02-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by c5eddiem (Post 1586806356)
Dave,

Any thoughts on the coupe-to-convertible ratio in the past few years?

Ed

It's usually somewhere around 2-1 or 3-1.

Dave

Sailfun 05-02-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by NoOne (Post 1586805958)

I have seen lots of Z51 verbs both in ads and stopping into dealers. Check the forum dealers. No shortage on Z51 verbs. Even coupes are showing up with the Z51 option. Just not near as many as the Verts. Dealer stock seems to be getting better. I suspect by fall the supply and demand situation will be close to normal.
G

LIE2ME 05-02-2014 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1586806723)
It's usually somewhere around 2-1 or 3-1.

Dave

Dave, do the verts seem to be selling especially slowly this time around, did GM over allocate verts vs. coupes, or did dealers over order? I am just asking since I recently purchased a convertible and would hate this think I had purchased a "less desirable" car...:sadangel:

kenrobb 05-02-2014 06:38 PM

We have been really enjoying our Z51 conv; drives with top down. Had a coupe on order but bought this one from dealer trade/stock. The extra $ cost for a conv might be a good reason why coupes are selling better.

Dave@Ciocca 05-02-2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silverblue (Post 1586806751)
Dave, do the verts seem to be selling especially slowly this time around, did GM over allocate verts vs. coupes, or did dealers over order? I am just asking since I recently purchased a convertible and would hate this think I had purchased a "less desirable" car...:sadangel:

GM controls how many of each model we are allocated. I would rather order a better ratio of coupes to convertibles but it's not in my control. You car is not less desirable. I think it's selling at the right amount buy GM is allocating the ratio higher than they should.

Dave

tbasco 6 05-02-2014 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by kenrobb (Post 1586806790)
We have been really enjoying our Z51 conv; drives with top down. Had a coupe on order but bought this one from dealer trade/stock. The extra $ cost for a conv might be a good reason why coupes are selling better.

Or maybe it's the exotic looks of the coupe! My last two I ordered were verts, ordered the C7 coupe. If money had been an issue, I could have lived with a 2LT and had a convertible for around the same price.

Sin City 05-02-2014 08:18 PM

Nothing beats the Convertible. NOTHING.

The only thing you lose is some cash and storage space. If you live in a climate that doesn't let you drive topless often, you won't buy one. If you do, you will.

Very simple. It has more to do with economics and climate than "likability".

Convertibles are always less desired over base coupes in almost every model when offered. No surprise.

MitchAlsup 05-02-2014 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1586807410)
Nothing beats the Convertible. NOTHING.

<snip>

Convertibles are always less desired over base coupes in almost every model when offered.

Your fisrt and next to last sentance disagree.

themonk 05-02-2014 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1586807410)
Convertibles are always less desired over base coupes in almost every model when offered. No surprise.

not necessarily true, look at classic cars, the value of convertibles are generally higher than their hard top counterparts.

tubajim 05-02-2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1586807675)
not necessarily true, look at classic cars, the value of convertibles are generally higher than their hard top counterparts.

I think the value is higher as a "classic" later is because less of them sold originally, therefore a bit more rare for collectors. People buy the style they enjoy and convertibles are a bit less desirable at first and therefore are worth more to collectors due to their 'rarity' later, IMHO. Not to mention they cost more up front.

IndyBlue 05-02-2014 09:21 PM

My last 2 cars were roadsters. Loved the verts, but the C7 is such an exotic vehicle as a coupe I just had to make the switch.

Both are great vehicles but I just had to have the lines of the coupe.

thedofuss 05-02-2014 09:22 PM

negative. sky falling.

chuckeb84 05-02-2014 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by tubajim (Post 1586807846)
I think the value is higher as a "classic" later is because less of them sold originally, therefore a bit more rare for collectors. People buy the style they enjoy and convertibles are a bit less desirable at first and therefore are worth more to collectors due to their 'rarity' later, IMHO. Not to mention they cost more up front.

As a c5 owner I will be looking for a c7 vert in a few years:thumbs: