CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   It's amazing how scary fast these cars are when Supercharged! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3482081-its-amazing-how-scary-fast-these-cars-are-when-supercharged.html)

sfc rick 06-09-2014 02:53 PM

It's amazing how scary fast these cars are when Supercharged!

Some know about how INSANE these cars are when boosted. But there are far more who have NO CLUE what happens when the RPM climbs above 3500rpm and the acceleration just get's more intense and crazy.

It still thrills me to no end. Normally I don't even get into boost just driving normally and shifting well before that 3500rpm range. It's when I occasionally let the pedal stay on the floor and don't shift until 6000rpm that it get's INSANE!

Follow me? Most of us boosted vettes live in a different world. But how many of you regular Vette drivers want to get boosted?

And have you ever driven one?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...d-2-155582.jpg

Rob Petyo 06-09-2014 03:02 PM

not me ... I like being able to run low tens normally aspirated (not waiting for boost to build) and then be able to spray some N02 if needed ... the 4k stall is fun when it grabs :cool:

Pirateslife4me 06-09-2014 03:03 PM

I WANT!!!!! no I never have driven one :cry: however if your feeling generous I'd LOVE to take yours for a spin :lol:

Funny thing is that I just got back from a vacation cruise with my kiddos and the whole time (don't get me wrong I loved my vacation) i'm thinking about what the trip cost and how it could have made a huge dent into the cost of a SC :eek:

meflyfrc 06-09-2014 03:10 PM

I completely agree. In first gear through third gear you have to find that happy balance or she will just spin out from under you. I haven't had the opportunity to really see what my car can do because it will spin the wheels so quickly. Gonna have to through some slicks on the back of her one day!!!!

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...psd3914b5f.jpg

tommyo4 06-09-2014 03:14 PM

I'm a base. Coupe with some bolts ons and ls6 upgrades at 427rwhp/397rwtq. Next up is a SC. I never drove one but can't wait to know ill smoke any ricer out there on the street.

Black 02 06-09-2014 03:17 PM

Did you ever get the sc problems fixed to protect your head unit?

FI is fun but I love how instantly a NA car reacts to throttle inputs. You should post up some more videos :thumbs:

Rob Petyo 06-09-2014 03:19 PM

I break my tires loose when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 85 mph on the hwy. A well preped track with tire is really the place to see just what you can do with these things :cheers:

Heads / cam LS-6 naturally aspirated - enjoy!

I do like supercharged vettes but have not driven one.

norcalace 06-09-2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Black 02 (Post 1587093124)

FI is fun but I love how instantly a NA car reacts to throttle inputs. You should post up some more videos :thumbs:

Fuel injected cars are naturally aspirated unless they have a supercharger or turbocharger/s installed. Aspiration refers to how the air gets in not the fuel. :thumbs:

RoccoC5 06-09-2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by norcalace (Post 1587093431)
Fuel injected cars are naturally aspirated unless they have a supercharger or turbocharger/s installed. Aspiration refers to how the air gets in not the fuel. :thumbs:

FI => Forced Induction :D

jmxp69 06-09-2014 03:58 PM

Installing mine now. Tune set for Saturday. Can't wait to officially be in the club. Looking forward to experiencing what you've described.

Maxx_Z06 06-09-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels (Post 1587093018)
not me ... I like being able to run low tens normally aspirated (not waiting for boost to build) and then be able to spray some N02 if needed ... the 4k stall is fun when it grabs :cool:

Originally Posted by Black 02 (Post 1587093124)

Same here, i'm an N/A guy. Instant power, no boost lag or anything like that. Horsepower for horsepower N/A seems to come out on top. :thumbs:

zagger 06-09-2014 04:01 PM

Think he meant Forced Induction which is what turbo or supercharger does. Love it when boost comes on.

Black 02 06-09-2014 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by norcalace (Post 1587093431)

FI, as others have mentioned, is short for forced induction. I guess it could also be short hand for fuel injection but I don't know of many carbed C5s.

Don't get me wrong, boost is awesome on a highway pull but for a performance/sports car a high revving NA power plant is the way to go :thumbs:

sfc rick 06-09-2014 04:18 PM

NA? What? you guys think NA wins? Guess you should contact GM and talk BS and demand a NA Z06 and see how far that flys?

Or how far that goes at Speed events...RLOL!

NA is for the guys who can't boost. LOL!

It's science guys.....more air + fuel= POWER!

Vetteman Jack 06-09-2014 04:19 PM

I've never driven a supercharged Vette, but you bet I would like to put a S/C on mine. Only problem is I would also like a C7 in a couple of years so I am reluctant to spend that much money on my C5 when it could go towards the C7. But who knows, things could change and I might end up keeping the C5 and if I do, a S/C could be in the future.

Black 02 06-09-2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sfc rick (Post 1587093642)
NA? What? you guys think NA wins? Guess you should contact GM and talk BS and demand a NA Z06 and see how far that flys?

Horsepower for horsepower, NA is usually faster.

It's super easy to make big numbers with boost though, no denying that.

It's a shame how most new cars are going turbo. Just isn't the same driving experience, not to mention heat issues and other problems associated with FI.

We now have a factory supercharged Z06 and a turbocharged M3/4. Never thought either would happen, let alone both :(

Maxx_Z06 06-09-2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sfc rick (Post 1587093642)

When the C6 Z06 came out it was a monster, i don't see how GM would've made a lot more power on the C7 Z06 without going FI.
I choose not to boost because i'm quite happy making 585whp and 560rwtq on a dependable build. For people that want to make 750whp+ then boost is the way to go. :cheers:

norcalace 06-09-2014 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by RoccoC5 (Post 1587093465)
FI => Forced Induction :D

My bad :hide: Spent too much time in the Army with all their acronyms.

cessna10 06-09-2014 04:31 PM

Approximately what is the cost and what hp
can you expect over the base?

66dts-v 06-09-2014 04:41 PM

While I love the idea, when looking at it for my own car, I could get a 525hp LS3 for $8500 or less with full factory warranty. That's less than what it would cost to rebuild mine and boost it, I think.

I did get to do donuts in a ZR1 and while it was insane ('09 for $65k), I couldn't see driving it like I do mine daily.

But for those bold enough to do it, gawd bless you. :D

But Maxx has quite the build, I would be quite happy with a stock 525 for myself I'm sure.

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06 (Post 1587093689)
When the C6 Z06 came out it was a monster, i don't see how GM would've made a lot more power on the C7 Z06 without going FI.
I choose not to boost because i'm quite happy making 585whp and 560rwtq on a dependable build. For people that want to make 750whp+ then boost is the way to go. :cheers: