CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   best air conditioner compressor front seal for c2 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3486211-best-air-conditioner-compressor-front-seal-for-c2.html)

vetter61 06-17-2014 10:15 AM

best air conditioner compressor front seal for c2

I need to replace the front seal on my A6 compressor. What is the best seal to use( the original ceramic or the new double lip seal) I believe compressors starting with the c3 use the double lip type seal.

Powershift 06-17-2014 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by vetter61 (Post 1587153629)
I need to replace the front seal on my A6 compressor. What is the best seal to use( the original ceramic or the new double lip seal) I believe compressors starting with the c3 use the double lip type seal.

I would use the ceramic seal ACDELCO #15-2191.

If I recall correctly, there are two different lip seals available, and you need to make certain that you use the correct one if you go this route. 62Jeff I think tried this and had some issues. Perhaps he can comment.

Jeff also has an excellent AC seal tutorial on our C2 web site. Look for it. :thumbs:

The old ceramic seal has worked (sort of) for years, and is probably the best choice.

Larry

dplotkin 06-17-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Powershift (Post 1587153723)
The old ceramic seal has worked (sort of) for years, and is probably the best choice.Larry

I agree with Larry.

The thing is, all A6 compressors sling some oil, even with a new seal and why the shroud or guard some folks use to protect the underside of a fiberglass hood makes sense.

Don't go to the trouble of changing out a seal if what you expect is as dry a compressor as the Denso on a Toyota. If it is slinging copious amounts and making a mess, change it.

Dan

Mike Geary 06-17-2014 11:39 AM

Best Seal

Another vote for the AC Delco seal Larry spec'd.

IMHO opinion the lip seals are prone to leak on old A6's because the shaft surface is often slightly worn. Grooved, pitted, whatever.

Stick with the ceramic.

Frankie the Fink 06-17-2014 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by dplotkin (Post 1587154231)
I agree with Larry.

The thing is, all A6 compressors sling some oil, even with a new seal and why the shroud or guard some folks use to protect the underside of a fiberglass hood makes sense.

Don't go to the trouble of changing out a seal if what you expect is as dry a compressor as the Denso on a Toyota. If it is slinging copious amounts and making a mess, change it.

Dan

:iagree: Once that slop gets under the hood it can leech elsewhere and make for paint problems.

62Jeff 06-17-2014 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Powershift (Post 1587153723)
If I recall correctly, there are two different lip seals available, and you need to make certain that you use the correct one if you go this route. 62Jeff I think tried this and had some issues. Perhaps he can comment.

Yes, 2 different internal diameters for 2 shaft sizes. Neither one supported a vacuum on my 65's compressor.

Jeff also has an excellent AC seal tutorial on our C2 web site. Look for it. :thumbs:
Thanks, it is listed in the AC sticky thread at the top of this forum.

DZVette 06-17-2014 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 1587155138)
Yes, 2 different internal diameters for 2 shaft sizes. Neither one supported a vacuum on my 65's compressor.

Thanks, it is listed in the AC sticky thread at the top of this forum.

PDF file attached.
DZ